View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Hallucinations 
Loose Canon

Post Re: Hallucinations
If you just have a feeling of Deja Vu, then it's probably your mind having a brainfart and going "Oh hey, I think I remember this. Maybe." rather than a premonition of the future. Hell, I get Deja Vu all the time and that's just because I'm epileptic.
Write down a dream when you wake up, and if it A) isn't something common like eating a 'sandwich' and B) it still happens, THEN I'll believe you dream the future.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:38 pm
Profile WWW

Hahaha, Miggles, that right there kinda invalidates any future-sight you may have thought you had.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:08 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

And how so?

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:15 pm
Profile WWW

i had a dream where a person gave me a candy.
This person then woke me up and gave me a candy.
wtf?

btw, ociamarru, do you never have dreams that you cannot remember?

Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:18 am

All the time, I'm sure (how would I know?), but saying 'I have a dream. I do not remember the dream. Something happens. I think I dreamed about it. Clearly I am prophetic.' Well, uh, what would be more likely? That he had a premonition or that he's just filling in the blanks?

Hell, I've had dreams where things have coincided with events in the real world. But that's just it - they were coincidences. Once, when we were working on some steps so it wasn't so icy in the winter to get from the home to the workshop, I was scared of the cement. I had a dream where some guy died trapped in cement. Then a couple days later, someone's body was found in cement. All the time, I'll do something in a dream and the same thing happens in real life.

When this sort of thing happens, I'm not thinking "I POSSES THE THIRD EYE!", but instead the much more likely and, uh, possible 'Oh, I dreamed this happened. What an interesting little coincidence!'

Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:24 am

so you have dreams that you can not remember, then you do something and feel deja vu.
If I counted every time I felt deja vu at random stuff, I would be practically omniscient. I feel deja vu a lot.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:14 pm

Miggles wrote:
I know for a fact that I can see the future in my dreams. Almost every night I will have a dream of something that happens the following day, and it's never anything actually important. Things like eating, what's on TV, or a specific conversation are all among the list.

Ding ding ding, you're a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥. Protip: Your mind is good at bullshitting you. You dream about something vague, something the next day vaguely fits the situation, your brain is like OH MAN I CAN SO TELL THE FUTURE. Your brain makes sense out of chaos, it's what it's built for. Obviously, sometimes it will fail utterly and tell you complete lies, and that's just how things work. Coincidence.
Quote:
I see the future in dreams sometimes, usually it has to do with things that are stressing me out. I personally think that because I saw it in a dream and thought it was real, I subconsciously try to make that reality occur. Such as dreaming I am going to fail a test, I dream it, and I fail. I doubt I actually saw the future, my mind just was trying to catch up to what it thought was reality.

Or it could just be that you were stressing over potential failure so that impaired your cognitive abilities/your stressing was justified.
Quote:
like I said, subconsciously. you don't consciously try to do it. Your brain is just trying to make whatever the idea was occur. That is why some people die during a dream, the brain thinks it is real. The only difference is that the feeling of realism is carried into the real world. Especially if you WANT it to happen, ie passing a test, or if you REALLY DON'T want it to happen. The more you think about it, the more likely it is to occur.

"That is why some people die during a dream, the brain thinks it is real. The only difference is that the feeling of realism is carried into the real world." I think this is supposed to imply that people have died because they dreamed they did, which is just so wrong I don't even care to discuss it, just point out that you're dumb because you have absolutely no evidence that even suggests this can happen, you just talk it like it's fact because you think it would be cool if it were true.
Quote:
You're all some crazy ass mofos, I gotta say. I've never had and have never heard of anything like this happening to anyone I know.

False premonitions are extremely common.
Quote:
That isn't how it works. Whenever I have these dreams I don't remember them after I wake up, only while I'm asleep do I know they're there. But then, whenever I do whatever I dreamed of happening, I remember a feeling of Deja Vu.

Lol, so you don't know if you've foretold the future or not until after the event you've foretold has happened? And you don't see anything illogical about that at all?
Quote:
Write down a dream when you wake up, and if it A) isn't something common like eating a 'sandwich' and B) it still happens, THEN I'll believe you dream the future.

I was losing hope for humanity until this.
Quote:
wtf?

You just made that up and you're an awful liar, but we'll assume it's true, just for the sake of discussion. Your senses don't shut off while you're asleep, you heard them talking about giving you candy, your mind incorporated that into the dream, voila.
Quote:
Hell, I've had dreams where things have coincided with events in the real world. But that's just it - they were coincidences. Once, when we were working on some steps so it wasn't so icy in the winter to get from the home to the workshop, I was scared of the cement. I had a dream where some guy died trapped in cement. Then a couple days later, someone's body was found in cement. All the time, I'll do something in a dream and the same thing happens in real life.

Thank you for recognizing and dismissing your ego. I read Lord of the Rings and Eragon, and less than a year after I read each of them, a movie came out. Does this mean that they came out because I read them? My ego's natural response is yes, as our brains like to think they can control everything around them, but the actual sane answer is no, and I'd be dumb for thinking that.

Seriously, guys, are you people so gullible that you think deja vu is precognition? There actually is evidence that precognition exists, but you're laughable if you think that you can tell the future just because you want to.
http://science.discovery.com/videos/thr ... ution.html

This is like shooting orphans in a barrel, man. Come on, gimme a challenge.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:27 pm

Dont call me a liar. What i post is the truth, as far as i can tell.

And i'll tell you guys if I ever end up wandering through a dark crumbling city.

So one point is that this precognition is a series of meaningless coincidences.
For me, these coincidences occur in a semi-pattern. I have a dream, a dream that I have never had before. Something like it happens in real life. I never have a dream about it again.

You say "coincidence."
I say "pattern of coincidences."

Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:25 am

Homophanim wrote:
Miggles wrote:
I know for a fact that I can see the future in my dreams. Almost every night I will have a dream of something that happens the following day, and it's never anything actually important. Things like eating, what's on TV, or a specific conversation are all among the list.

Ding ding ding, you're a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥. Protip: Your mind is good at bullshitting you. You dream about something vague, something the next day vaguely fits the situation, your brain is like OH MAN I CAN SO TELL THE FUTURE. Your brain makes sense out of chaos, it's what it's built for. Obviously, sometimes it will fail utterly and tell you complete lies, and that's just how things work. Coincidence.
Quote:
I see the future in dreams sometimes, usually it has to do with things that are stressing me out. I personally think that because I saw it in a dream and thought it was real, I subconsciously try to make that reality occur. Such as dreaming I am going to fail a test, I dream it, and I fail. I doubt I actually saw the future, my mind just was trying to catch up to what it thought was reality.

Or it could just be that you were stressing over potential failure so that impaired your cognitive abilities/your stressing was justified.
Quote:
like I said, subconsciously. you don't consciously try to do it. Your brain is just trying to make whatever the idea was occur. That is why some people die during a dream, the brain thinks it is real. The only difference is that the feeling of realism is carried into the real world. Especially if you WANT it to happen, ie passing a test, or if you REALLY DON'T want it to happen. The more you think about it, the more likely it is to occur.

"That is why some people die during a dream, the brain thinks it is real. The only difference is that the feeling of realism is carried into the real world." I think this is supposed to imply that people have died because they dreamed they did, which is just so wrong I don't even care to discuss it, just point out that you're dumb because you have absolutely no evidence that even suggests this can happen, you just talk it like it's fact because you think it would be cool if it were true.
Quote:
You're all some crazy ass mofos, I gotta say. I've never had and have never heard of anything like this happening to anyone I know.

False premonitions are extremely common.
Quote:
That isn't how it works. Whenever I have these dreams I don't remember them after I wake up, only while I'm asleep do I know they're there. But then, whenever I do whatever I dreamed of happening, I remember a feeling of Deja Vu.

Lol, so you don't know if you've foretold the future or not until after the event you've foretold has happened? And you don't see anything illogical about that at all?
Quote:

I was losing hope for humanity until this.
Quote:
wtf?

You just made that up and you're an awful liar, but we'll assume it's true, just for the sake of discussion. Your senses don't shut off while you're asleep, you heard them talking about giving you candy, your mind incorporated that into the dream, voila.
Quote:

Thank you for recognizing and dismissing your ego. I read Lord of the Rings and Eragon, and less than a year after I read each of them, a movie came out. Does this mean that they came out because I read them? My ego's natural response is yes, as our brains like to think they can control everything around them, but the actual sane answer is no, and I'd be dumb for thinking that.

Seriously, guys, are you people so gullible that you think deja vu is precognition? There actually is evidence that precognition exists, but you're laughable if you think that you can tell the future just because you want to.
http://science.discovery.com/videos/thr ... ution.html

This is like shooting orphans in a barrel, man. Come on, gimme a challenge.

1. He never said it was vague.

2. That's what he just said...

3.Actually it has been proven that if someone believes something happening to their body, that is very traumatizing, (ex:tying some one to a chair, flash a knife around their eyes a lot, then blind fold them and talk about cutting their wrist. They are now traumatized. Then if you run the back of the blade over their wrist and gently pour warm water over their hand, they could faint or a scar like bruise could even appear on the place you ran the blade over.) to an extent they will feel a pain like illusion and their brain will trick their body. Dying during an illusion is not impossible.

4.I agree.

5.De ja vu is possible, as well as forgetting, remembering, and doing stuff, and remembering after you do stuff. There's nothing illogical about That statement.

6.Me too. Excepting myself.

7. He's lucky, he got candy TWICE. I agree though.

8.I'm not sure what you're explaining.

Lastly, Thinkers are cool.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:12 am

pseudorastafari wrote:
For me, these coincidences occur in a semi-pattern. I have a dream, a dream that I have never had before. Something like it happens in real life. I never have a dream about it again.
You wouldn't remember it if it didn't happen. Your brain is sort of like Nostradamus; it makes a huge amount of vague predictions and you ignore all the ones that don't come true.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:48 am
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

pseudorastafari wrote:
. I have a dream, a dream that I have never had before. Something like it happens in real life. I never have a dream about it again.

That's how 99.9% of my dreams are. I can remember only 2 dreams that were continued or repeated, ever, and it was only years later that a second dream about the same thing happened. And if something LIKE it happens, then that's not all too impressive. Lots of things happen every day, chances are some things are gonna match up. And as Oph and Allstone have stated, our brains are very good at bullshitting us.
Zodon wrote:
3.Actually it has been proven that if someone believes something happening to their body, that is very traumatizing, (ex:tying some one to a chair, flash a knife around their eyes a lot, then blind fold them and talk about cutting their wrist. They are now traumatized. Then if you run the back of the blade over their wrist and gently pour warm water over their hand, they could faint or a scar like bruise could even appear on the place you ran the blade over.) to an extent they will feel a pain like illusion and their brain will trick their body. Dying during an illusion is not impossible.

Yes the mind is very good at tricking itself. Yes, sensations from dreams, especially painful ones, can carry over into the real world. Yes, simulating stimulation can cause an effect in the real world, such as the knife thing causing a bruise.
No, your brain is not going to cause you to DIE from overstimulation. You'd wake up from the stimulation LONG before they could get anywhere near dangerous.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
DRLGrump

I have trouble believing you can get a scar from a dream. That seems pretty impossible.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:06 pm

So you watch TV one day, and then you go to sleep, and dream about watching TV.

The next day, you watch TV again.

dejavu. It's especially potent if they are playing re-runs.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:19 am
Profile WWW

Me and my friends often talk about films.
When we talk about films, within a few weeks they are on TV.
Me and my friends have the power to change TV schedules.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:48 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I have a rock which keeps away polar bears. I know this because I've never seen a polar bear.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next