View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Discussion - How free should speech be? 

Post Re: Discussion - How free should speech be?
Ability to express oneself should be free.

Anyone who thinks this means you get to scream ♥♥♥♥ about everyone for laughs because you can is an idiot.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:13 am
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Which brings me to another gripe I have with a large group of American citizens:
Just because this the is land of the free, does NOT mean you can do whatever the hell you want whenever you want to.

@Homophanim I didn't mean actual legal trouble, but the pres might smack you once or twice. :P

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:37 am
Profile WWW

President physically assaults someone over personal insults?
Now that's a headline any newspaper would love to be the first selling.

It is the responsibility of someone to act appropriately in response to others' expressions they deem inappropriate. For an important figure such as the president, displaying that responsibility and personal accountability is particularly important. The guy with that sort of military control should probably be someone a bit more calm and rational than to meet personal insults with physical retaliation.

And of course being allotted certain freedoms and rights doesn't mean anarchy, I would think that this would go without saying to those who would even bother to actually discuss the matter.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:37 am

What about harassment? Continually insulting someone who is forced into every day contact with you (by working in the same place for example)
With complete freedom of speech, what would stop this?
I mean Geti has said that somehow this wouldn't mean that, but I'd like to see an explanation of why. If you are allowed to say whatever you want, how could you be prosecuted?
What if you did threaten to do something to someone like kill them, and did so repeatedly without actually murdering anyone? Could you be prosecuted for that and would it be removing your free speech?

Plus what about the internet? You can be banned on this forum for flaming people and your post is edited if you mention illegal activities. That is not free speech, is this a bad thing? I personally wouldn't say so.

Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:21 pm
DRLGrump

metal chao wrote:
Plus what about the internet? You can be banned on this forum for flaming people and your post is edited if you mention illegal activities. That is not free speech, is this a bad thing? I personally wouldn't say so.

That's a private establishment/location, being operated by an individual who can kick you out or ban you based on whatever he wants. Even if we had complete freedom of speech, private establishments would be allowed to kick people out if they were violating the private establishments rules. Freedom of speech only applies when you're talking about the government restricting the people.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:59 am

Tomaster wrote:
metal chao wrote:

That's a private establishment/location, being operated by an individual who can kick you out or ban you based on whatever he wants. Even if we had complete freedom of speech, private establishments would be allowed to kick people out if they were violating the private establishments rules. Freedom of speech only applies when you're talking about the government restricting the people.

Quote:
Re: Discussion - How free should speech be?

You could mandate free speech absolutely everywhere, I was asking if we should.
Apparently you agree with me that we should not.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:54 am
happy carebear mom

The following is not an argument, but it is slightly comical at least in my opinion at 2am

Reading the above two posts about free speech in private areas, I imagined passing the "Free Speech Everywhere" ordinance in Nation States, and having the nation text add something along the lines of "Citizens frequently break into each others' houses and deliver long speeches about their position on political issues, with the blessings of the State."

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:08 am

I think that you should be able to speak your mind whenever you want. That said, insulting someone or constantly swearing is not on. If you can't string together a sentence without an insult or curse in it, go somewhere else. I don't want to hear you talk ♥♥♥♥.

That is all.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:57 pm

freedom of speech depends on how you say it
true freedom of speech we should have 100%
however doing something like screaming fire in a crowded building DOES NOT fall under that 100%, as does doing things like directly insulting people (to an extent)

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:01 pm

bioemerl wrote:
freedom of speech depends on how you say it
true freedom of speech we should have 100%
however doing something like screaming fire in a crowded building DOES NOT fall under that 100%, as does doing things like directly insulting people (to an extent)

You have a very odd definition of 100%

Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:46 pm

You have a point there
Well, you can still scream FIRE inside a crowded building, but it has to be in a certain situation.... i hold my ground!

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2