View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Brain Imaging reconstructs images from our minds 

Post Brain Imaging reconstructs images from our minds

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-09-brain-imaging-reveals-movies-mind.html
They have found a way to get plausible looking images out of someone's brain.

They show a person a movie, and scan their brains simultaneously (1 brain-scan per second).
They then compare their brain scan to "over 18 million seconds of youtube footage" (5000 hours) and
reconstruct the brain image using patched-together samples of that.
The results are scarily accurate.

This achievement is in the shadow under the "faster-than-light" neutrinos, but this one (potentially) has a higher impact on society.

What are your thoughts?

The laboratory's website is here: http://gallantlab.org/

Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:38 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Brain Imaging reconstructs images from our minds
That's wild! I wonder why they need to do the bit where they merge clips from youtube though. I would have thought that since you can predict which images match the neural activity best, you could build a "most likely scenario" image without mucking around with the youtube reference images. (although these people are way smarter than I, so I'm sure there's a very good reason)

Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:56 am
Loose Canon

Oh, ok, youtube videos. Was wondering why there were suddenly buildings in the background of some of those.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:03 am
Profile WWW

Dr. Evil wrote:
That's wild! I wonder why they need to do the bit where they merge clips from youtube though. I would have thought that since you can predict which images match the neural activity best, you could build a "most likely scenario" image without mucking around with the youtube reference images. (although these people are way smarter than I, so I'm sure there's a very good reason)

My guess is (since brain images work with spatial ideas instead of pixels) that comparing the brainscan's "idea" with the youtube video's "idea" to produce an image that has very little to do with the pixel content. fMRI's have a very low spatial resolution, and an even worse temporal resolution (sample rate) because they measure bloodflow in the brain, as opposed to actual neural activity (hence the once a second sample rate).

I suppose the emphasis of this particular achievement was that they could get a plausible "video-feed" from fMRI data.

I wonder what kind of quality could be acquired from implanted electrodes. :)

Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:07 am
Profile WWW

There was already something like this before except they displayed actual pixel output and it was low res black and white (IIRC). Seems like they may have improved the same technique by being able to get colour as well (possibly not, may still be black and white) and are probably just using the video matching to improve the image even more (instead of displaying pixellated noisy output compare to many videos and pick the top 4 matches and find that it roughly matches the actual video shown and looks even better).

Here's something else you might find interesting (basically the reverse- sending pixellated video of the world to the brain for a blind man): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW78wbN-WuU&t=85 (the rest is interesting too but it's linked to the specific part of the video)

Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:57 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

We do need to keep in mind that this doesn't really mean that we can retrieve an image from somebody's brain, but instead that we can make a vague guess at what the image is assuming we know all of the possibilities. That isn't to say that this isn't really cool research, or that the technology won't develop beyond this, but it's not quite as sophisticated as it seems. As zalo said, though, I wonder how much more accurate this would be with direct neural implants, since the main issue seems to be how slowly the fMRI scan (or, more accurately, the blood flow in the brain) updates.

Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:07 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]