View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Should i bother with Windows 7? 

Post Should i bother with Windows 7?
I've been thinking over the last few months about getting a new computer, And since many new games which i have my eye on are coming out (skyrim Saint row the new resident evil game which just been moved to march insert sadface) and many games which i do own but my current computer is quite crap (Killing floor for example, while the game can run at high quality the loadtime is ♥♥♥♥ Stupid. ranging from 5 mins to 10 mins just to load a map up)

Now ever since window 7 came out and i saw it. i personally hated it and honestly i never enjoyed it and felt that the system would prevent me working fast with mods and other things (i like to have loads of windows up and swap between them very fast, no fussing about)
But i think it time for me to set aside any "hatred". But honestly Is window 7 even pointless to get? or keep on that matter since i'm aware like 90% of new computers will instantly come with windows 7.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:20 pm

Post Re: Should i bother with Windows 7?
Well, Windows 7 is miles ahead of Vista, that's for sure. There are a few things to get used to (the taskbar for instance, since as you know, the windows are clustered together, which actually helps reduce clutter), but in the end i've found it very nice. It does what it needs to (and a bit more sometimes, WINDOWS UPDATE), and it looks shiny. A more relevant question would be whether it's a downgrade from XP or not, which i don't believe it is. If you get a new computer with it, you might as well keep it, the performace difference is marginal and it has very few compatibility issues. Not to mention that most newer games are being developed for Windows 7 now.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:37 pm
Profile WWW

The things I hate about Windows 7:
Its inability to handle older games. There's this... problem... where many games display garbled colours or even constantly freeze (Dosbox @ fullscreen). There's a workaround, ending the explorer task, but what kind of workaround is that? (Something to do with 'active desktop' interfering or whatever.)

And there's the Photoshop thing. I never had colour profile problems in Windows XP. Complicated story. Let's just say that creating sprites is a bit harder for me now because what I see is not what I get. -_-

And there's Office 2003. It behaves... eratically and is slow. Dunno how else to put it. Damn MS crooks trying to make me buy the latest Office. :x

It also has issues with Cortex Command. If I don't use xp compatibility it freezes constantly.

But at least it's very fast, stable and safe. And modern games run fine indeed. I'd say, try it out if you can. You'll have to abandon Windows XP sooner or later anyway. :???:

Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:41 pm
happy carebear mom

I've had no problems with 7 (x64 even), whatsoever, so I'm going to counter-example Gotcha and say I see no reason why not to upgrade. It's also pretty.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:50 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Duh102 wrote:
I've had no problems with 7 (x64 even), whatsoever, so I'm going to counter-example Gotcha and say I see no reason why not to upgrade. It's also pretty.
No problems with Win7 Ultimate x64 here either. I say go for it.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:57 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Again the transition between XP and 7 was smooth as silk. Nothing broke, and it's all glassy and awesome.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:59 pm

Windows 7 is not worth it, many programs that run on 32x or 64x systems just don't like Windows 7 86x system, thats why i'm going to be switching back to Xp.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:06 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

SIMS.

PLEASE MAKE MORE SENSE.

Sims_Doc wrote:
many programs that run on 32x or 64x systems just don't like Windows 7 86x system

What you said here is just plain out of whack. There is absolutely no such thing as an 86bit operating system. You have 32, and 64, and microsoft don't make any others. If they did, it would be a 128bit os. I don't know what you THINK you have, but no wonder you have compatibility issues with an os that never existed.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:13 pm
happy carebear mom

x86 is another name for x32.

But yeah, I've never had any problems with games not working on Win7. Some of them took a few kicks (namely ones that are old enough to assume a certain amount of cores but young enough to have been designed in the days of multicores existing, thus getting confused as hell), but I haven't had any problems after googling around a bit.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:18 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

There's 32-bit operating systems and 64-bit operating systems. 64-bit is also known as x64 and 32-bit is known as x86.
EDIT: Ughninja. Dammit, Duh.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:19 pm

I have Vista.

:-(

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:46 pm

TheKebbit wrote:
I have Vista.

First Released or Final Released?

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:28 am
Moderator Hero

I've managed to jimmy a few things around to make old games work on Windows 7. I find that it's not buggy and it doesn't freeze very often. Compared to Vista which seemed to be a very chunky install I haven't had any problems with it.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks for the input,

at any rate i need to update to windows 7 regardless of my wish since every computer i can get (for my needs of gaming) will only come with window 7.

on that note i found quite a cheap system that's good enough to play skyrim are full graphics (or just under it)

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:44 pm

Sims_Doc, I'm pretty sure I have the first released.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next