View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Internet Freedom 
happy carebear mom

Post Re: Internet Freedom
Most of the problem in the US is that we forget that we elect congressmen and house members. We only turn out for presidential elections, not for local elections.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:32 am

Duh102 wrote:
Most of the problem in the US is that we forget that we elect congressmen and house members. We only turn out for presidential elections, not for local elections.

I'm on a kindle fire so this'll be short but that is absolutely not true. 1984, Brave New World, Cat's Cradle, Breakfast of Champions, military-industrial complex, wall street, capitalism, 1%, drug war, new media (not just Fox News you bandwagoning cunts), etcetera etcetera ad nauseum. Don't try to oversimplify the problem, we are ♥♥♥♥ from every direction.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:47 am

More CISPA, apparently it's close to passing:
http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_cispa_corporate_global/

Like last time, the info they email is in the spoiler. It includes more details and references:

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:49 pm

After a nice long delay (wow, 1 day short of a year), yep, looks like we're back again. Here are links to petitions and the like and here's hoping it doesn't make it through:

Look here if you're in the states:
https://action.eff.org/o/9042/p/dia/act ... n_KEY=9202

Look here if you're not:
https://action.eff.org/o/9042/p/dia/act ... n_KEY=9137

Look here if you don't want to wiki it yourself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyber_Inte ... rity_bills

Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:54 am

Oh ♥♥♥♥ I wasn't the first one to say CISPA's back
#2... #2 #2 #2
CISPA is bad, tell your friends

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:20 am

Post Re: Internet Freedom - TPP
Bump cause of government stupidity, I guess this is pretty much a yearly thing.

If you haven't heard of the TPP you should probably get your head out from under the rock covering it and sign this petition:
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

There's some info on the petition page but here's more info about it for anyone who doesn't want to do their own googling. I'm linking straight to the controversy part since that's what's most relevant:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Paci ... ontroversy

Suffice to say it will suck if this is successful. And it should be noted that this is apparently in direct discussion at the moment so time is kind of of the essence.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:45 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I read the paper, and, I saw that a Justice was concerned about Internet TV and TV, and the ramifications of limiting the internet... It's a start, but I can only guess it's been 30 years coming, and about 4,000 wrong decisions, hence.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:54 pm
happy carebear mom

Lots of fun things in the world of internet recently, seems.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:14 pm

Well Foa, these things always happen when it's pretty much crunch time but better late than never eh?

Yeah Duh, that's a thing unfortunately. I'm sad it seems to be gaining more support though. On the plus side, if it does happen hopefully some intelligent and decent isp will decide not to prioritize sites which'll make everyone switch to it, thereby killing the scummy ones who prioritized. Wishful thinking I'm sure.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:09 pm

I absolutely love it when people attempt to justify quelling speech under the pretense that it protects the feelings of others, or that it can incite violence/something ridiculous. Australia is especially bad, where profanely hypocritical protestors will denounce Soviet-Era law systems yet will demand ad nauseam that anyone who speaks of topics they disapprove must be put down by law enforcers.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:37 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Bob_Namg wrote:
I absolutely love it when people attempt to justify quelling speech under the pretense that it protects the feelings of others, or that it can incite violence/something ridiculous. Australia is especially bad, where profanely hypocritical protestors will denounce Soviet-Era law systems yet will demand ad nauseam that anyone who speaks of topics they disapprove must be put down by law enforcers.

Cultural Marxists: We USSR now. What reality? We are strong Motherland! Nothing wrong! We will tolerate you, but you go to gulag now, for betterment of people.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:16 am

There goes that buzzword again. It's Ayn Rand all over again where pseudo-intellectuals disparage or bastardize an economic ideology making it out to be some extreme and subversive cult ideology. You could've just as easily said "hypocritical leftists"

Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:34 am

something something big fuss

something something time passes

something something interests fade

something something passes under our noses

Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:52 am
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

big words and politics that nobody cares about

Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:39 am
Profile WWW

Sothe wrote:
There goes that buzzword again. It's Ayn Rand all over again where pseudo-intellectuals disparage or bastardize an economic ideology making it out to be some extreme and subversive cult ideology. You could've just as easily said "hypocritical leftists"

Do tell where I criticized Russia's economic system. I was simply employing the USSR as an example of states that have before used Draconian punishment to deter unwanted speech. I also detest Ayn Rand's preachings so I don't know why you've taken the liberty of using such a straw man. Also I willed my shoddy post to be so ambiguous as to imply I wasn't pulling a subtle ad hominem out my ass to toss at a specific group. Of course my pursuit failed since you're assuming I am.
Miggles wrote:
big words and politics that nobody cares about

I use big words and debate trivial issues because I'm a moderately insecure person.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next