View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Internet Freedom 
happy carebear mom

Post Re: Internet Freedom
I haven't heard of any such thing in America (beyond bittorrent throttling, but that's questionably legal at present). In fact, most of them wish they wouldn't be held responsible for anything their customers do, since they profit no matter what. They're just the gateway.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:18 pm

Sothe wrote:
Can someone recommend me some good Anglo-saxan countries to live in?
Not Australia or New Zealand.

Australia's an alright place. Well, as long as you can get used to everthing trying to kill you all the time and the ridiculous game prices.
Edit: and the spiders, god so many spiders. Also our crappy politicians.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:59 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Sothe wrote:
But I think England is okay. It's like a metropolis.

I imagine you've only ever seen images of London, and not cities like Birmingham then?

All of our funding for developing the nation tends to go towards London, because everybody knows those rich ♥♥♥♥ in the capital deserve it more, what with being the master race and all that crap.

Stupid ♥♥♥♥ nobles and aristocrats.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I do hope you realize that any American hosted website with a copyright issue will be shut down, regardless of whether you're in country or not. Do you really think the US government gives a ♥♥♥♥ about some random person in another country and their right to go to a website that the US owns? (But has already shut down?)

If the law passes(hahahaha no), the entire internet will be ruined, not just for Americans.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Miggles wrote:
If the law passes(hahahaha no)

Yeah about that...

Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:46 pm

Why wouldn't a bunch of 50-70 year olds who barely know how the internet works pass a bill that lets companies 'prevent their copyrighted material from being stolen'? Chances are pretty good that this bill will pass.

Even if SOPA doesn't pass, Protect IP probably will.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:48 am
happy carebear mom

Question is, will there be a Supreme Court case that overthrows it based on free speech rights.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:58 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

You don't seem to understand that over ~100,000 people petition against both acts almost daily. And that number is very quickly multiplying, almost doubling.
They won't pass. Trust me.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:57 am
Profile WWW

even more so since TB posted a video about it.

and to be honest you know ♥♥♥♥ hit the fan when TB has to post somthing about somthing.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:15 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

There are a lot of distributors that have come out with videos before him, and some that are bigger.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:28 am
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Miggles wrote:
I do hope you realize that any American hosted website with a copyright issue will be shut down, regardless of whether you're in country or not. Do you really think the US government gives a ♥♥♥♥ about some random person in another country and their right to go to a website that the US owns? (But has already shut down?)

None of which I care about. Warezbb, which at last check, had it's servers located in Hong Kong. Therefore, that site would be unaffected by this act.

I'd say at least 90% of the websites I visit would be unaffected by this. The remaining 10% are considered expendable.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:47 am
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

You can also just use a different DNS server if your site's DNS gets dropped. Quick google.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:23 am

Fail Flail wrote:
Sothe wrote:
Can someone recommend me some good Anglo-saxan countries to live in?
Not Australia or New Zealand.

Australia's an alright place. Well, as long as you can get used to everthing trying to kill you all the time and the ridiculous game prices.
Edit: and the spiders, god so many spiders. Also our crappy politicians.

Australia is ♥♥♥♥.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:11 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Miggles wrote:
You don't seem to understand that over ~100,000 people petition against both acts almost daily. And that number is very quickly multiplying, almost doubling.
They won't pass. Trust me.

This isn't really proof that it won't pass. Petitions are only really useful if they can convince representatives that they'll lose a significant number of votes unless they comply. For that reason, petitions are seldom useful - particularly online petitions. Many of the people "signing" the petitions aren't from the US, meaning the representatives don't care what they have to say. The rest of the people signing, in this case, are (and I'm guessing, but I think we can all agree) generally going to be young, tech-savvy and liberal. All three of those are a problem. Younger people are much less likely to vote, and for that reason, their opinions carry a lot less weight with representatives. Tech-savvy people in the US are a considerable minority in the grand scheme of things, and yet again, this means that if they were to stop voting for a certain representative, it wouldn't have a huge effect. The fact that they're mostly liberal (i.e. Democrats) means that Republicans (over half of Congress) can safely ignore the petition.

Now, the fight against SOPA is being backed by some big names (Google, Facebook and Wikipedia, to name a few) but I still don't think you can guarantee it isn't going to pass. Evidently there's been enough of a push for them to reconsider, but it could still go either way. If Wikipedia were to go through with the proposed blackout, there would definitely be a lot more support, because you'd then be reaching beyond the tech-savvy minority and into pretty much anybody who uses the internet. In the meantime, though, it's up to a vocal few to keep it from going through, and unless those few are very vocal, I still think it has a chance of passing. It isn't as cut-and-dry as you seem to be suggesting.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:55 am
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

caekdaemon wrote:
Miggles wrote:

None of which I care about. Warezbb, which at last check, had it's servers located in Hong Kong. Therefore, that site would be unaffected by this act.

I'd say at least 90% of the websites I visit would be unaffected by this. The remaining 10% are considered expendable.

This, again. There are many sites from Spain, Argentina and México I use, and US sites aren't the ones I use the most.

Still, if they blocked half of the internet or even more, what would happen? Would people quit the internet and begin living?

Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next