View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:33 am



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 WHAT YOU GET FOR CHRISTMAS. 
Author Message
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Post Re: WHAT YOU GET FOR CHRISTMAS.
I've honestly always like Nintendo joysticks more than other consoles. The Gamecube controller's stick was great.


Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:58 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:09 am
Posts: 1115
Location: Being The Great Juju
Post Re: WHAT YOU GET FOR CHRISTMAS.
sorry i slipped on the 'vertical' bit and meant they're vertical and unindented

the xbox's has actual triggers

those are just... sticks

torrenthku i really love how you try to be condescending but it backfires because you basically say nothing, and since you have nothing to say you just try to agree with someone but they also happen to be wrong

it's somewhat sad


Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:12 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 6:04 pm
Posts: 2901
Post Re: WHAT YOU GET FOR CHRISTMAS.
Mackerel wrote:
Metal Chao wrote:
F- for effort
didn't even try

your basing my opinion to be right or wrong even though i figure 60% of people think the same?
i dont know if i should feel honored to live in the lifetime that such a fine point in society can't take notice to one of the simplest phrase tones in history or start breaking down instantly with fear and thoughts of genocide on Earth

tl;dr
that controller looks like doodoo
so boohoo for you dude

I wasn't even talking about your post
I was talking about that sad clown one post above me who hasn't managed to provide a proper retort since I pointed out he has no idea what he was talking about
He still can't recognise that the shoulder buttons are completely identical because he's deluded himself into some strange fantasy world inhabited solely by himself


Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:01 pm
Profile
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 8:27 pm
Posts: 4521
Location: Constant motion
Post Re: WHAT YOU GET FOR CHRISTMAS.
Ragdollmaster wrote:
the first week unit sales of a console that has a target audience of everyone are uh, an entirely relevant indication of how many dozen teens are playing a specific game that everyone else would be playing on every other platform in existence
The fact is, there are people online, I have seen and played with them first hand, so this point doesn't stand. You said yourself that it's not hard for a Call of Duty game to sell out, so are you expecting it to be bought and for people to just not play it?
Ragdollmaster wrote:
the old wii one there has an ok layout but looks like it has shitty thumbsticks, very shallow shoulder buttons, and oh yes it's shaped like a brick
The shape isn't ideal, but the thumb sticks are responsive and hard wearing, without feeling tacky or cheap. They're good. I don't understand why deep shoulder buttons are a requirement, so as long as you can feel yourself using them and don't require some depth control for them (maybe i you're using them as a variable throttle for a racing game that could work, but it seems unnecessary given that in a shooting game, I only need to fire).
Ragdollmaster wrote:
if you don't find the topsticks uncomfortable either your hands are weirdly shaped or you've never touched an actual controller before... using, i assume, your index fingers to control the sticks?
I'm going to assume here that you've switched discussion to the other controller by this point. Of course it's not to be used with index fingers, that's a bizarre assumption and I don't know where it came from. To operate that controller, your hands form half-round shapes with your thumb pointing upwards, like holding a torch. Then, to use the buttons, swing your thumb to the left (on your right hand) or to the right (on your left hand), and the buttons are right there. The most uncomfortable part is actually getting your index fingers to the L and R buttons (ZL and ZR being the trigger-intended buttons), which I have found to be far more uncommon on all games.
Ragdollmaster wrote:
it is perfectly acceptable to like wii(u) for mario 26 and casual sports games... but suggesting that an fps game would play better on wiiu using that horrid pile of sin you call a controller makes you literally hitler
I didn't suggest that it would play better on that controller. I said there are more controller options including this one that you have taken a particular dislike to, and that the community was a nicer environment because it has that hipster-esque attribute of a brand new console. I've got no idea what it will be like in the future, but clearly I thought it was worth my money, as I paid for it.


Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:17 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:09 am
Posts: 1115
Location: Being The Great Juju
Post Re: WHAT YOU GET FOR CHRISTMAS.
Metal Chao wrote:
I was talking about that sad clown one post above me who hasn't managed to provide a proper retort since I pointed out he has no idea what he was talking about
He still can't recognise that the shoulder buttons are completely identical because he's deluded himself into some strange fantasy world inhabited solely by himself
unfortunately they're not since there's a pretty clear cut difference between triggers and buttons, and it's a pretty huge difference when it comes down to their performance and response in a shooter. not that i already said that or anything. i'm sure it's me who doesn't know what they're talking about, but by all means, press on and elucidate why i'm wrong. bee-tee-dubs, a+ for making your argument more credible by adding in random insults, that's some debate 101 right there

@roast there's people online but in comparison to any of the other three platforms the game's available on, it is a rather paltry sum. also much less likely to see people playing say, three months from now, since the game is still relatively fresh, while there will easily still be hundreds of thousands playing on other platforms.

personally from my experience using controllers, the most important advantage of a deep shoulder button over a shallow one is durability. shallow buttons have a tendency to wear out and start sticking after a few hundred hours of use, which can lead to a very frustrating lack of response, particularly in action games.

yeah sorry, it wasn't too clear i switched back to the "wiiu pro" one versus the "wii pro" controller.

the way the controller is built and shaped, like most controllers, would suggest it would be most comfortable to hold by having your palms around the lower extensions with your thumbs used for sticks/face buttons, index and middle fingers being used for shoulder buttons, and ring and pinky fingers being used for support, ala so or ala so. it's pretty comfortable even for playing hours on end and responsive enough to let you 1080 noscope everyone and their stepmother. the way you describe it seems like you're basically using a grip similar to that but shifted up, which, like you said, can make it awkward to use the shoulder buttons.

greater controller variety? sure, but non was asking you specifically for what the wiiu does that would make black ops 2 (sorry i ran out of witty alternate titles for it) a "better" experience. it seems like you've just said that it has a bunch of controllers, of which, the kind that would be best suited for a shooter game- the "pro" controller- is not better than or perhaps even equal to rivaling platforms' methods of control for this specific game/genre. i don't know where down the line there was a misunderstanding but clearly we weren't on the same page there. on a related note, since we agree the controller(s) is (are) not "better," then i think non's point of difficulty with aiming is a pretty valid one. "community-" i gave that some thought, i guess with a tighter community you are less likely to get people who will rustle your jimmies in pubs, but like i said, i've always found the cod series only fun/most fun when playing in large groups against prepubescent minors. it might be a better solo experience, i suppose, minus the controller.

on a tangent: out of all controllers i've used, i find that i like dualshocks best overall, but the 360 controller seems more comfortable. might be the larger size, or the more rotund shape, or the differences in material, but in any case it is a very nice fit for my hands. the triggers are a little more responsive than the dualshock's, too, the main reason being that the dualshock's are kind of hinged, so the bottom of the trigger swings in while the top doesn't move as far- it's not a huge distraction or drawback, just the 360 does it better. 360 dpad is atrocious for the same reason as the wiiu's, fused buttons do not lead to a responsive or precise method of control. dualshock's individual directional buttons are spot on. other issue with the 360 is that high left thumbstick- it's not too bad because you can cup the side of the controller with your left palm and easily reach the thumbstick with your thumb and the triggers with your index/ring fingers but dualshock's symmetrical thumbsticks are more pleasing. now on a really nitpicky note, the concavity of the thumbsticks- this is more of a personal preference because the different styles have different results. 360 uses concave thumbsticks, which are very easy to press for any "L3/R3" controls (typically for sprinting and melee attacks, since we were discussing an fps earlier) and fairly precise with small movements, but you can't really "swipe" your thumb from one the sticks to a face button if it's indented within the stick- you have to make a wider movement and lift your thumb out. the dualshock's convex thumbsticks seem harder to grip on the surface, but the material used for them is actually pretty gripping and makes them very easy to use with relative precision in a variety of gaming genres, whether you're aiming a gun, driving a car, or flying a plane. having your thumbs sort of rest on top of the sticks versus being within a concave pit also makes it easier to make smooth, quick movements when you move your thumb from the stick to a face button. of course, i'm not saying the differences in concavity lead to a significant difference in performance, but when you're talking, say, half a second, that can make a big difference in terms of precision, accuracy, and overall "feel" of the controls. i guess my ideal fictional controller would have the shape, size, and material of a 360 controller, with 360 shoulder buttons, but a dualshock layout, d-pad, and thumbsticks. hell, there might even be an obscure third party controller that looks like that- i've never really spent much time looking for one with such a specific description.

edit: goddamn i was trying to do the short post with lowercaps to be snide and super serious, but i ranted and ruined the effect, woe is me


Last edited by Ragdollmaster on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:28 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 6:04 pm
Posts: 2901
Post Re: WHAT YOU GET FOR CHRISTMAS.
Ragdollmaster wrote:
bee-tee-dubs, a+ for making your argument more credible by adding in random insults, that's some debate 101 right there

I learned it from you <3

Ragdollmaster wrote:
so i imagine playing fish species: dark surgeries 2 on it is like playing the game as a toddler with parkinson's
Ragdollmaster wrote:
natti it's really cute how you think your 12 year old frozen girl butt can lowercaps and try to argue against me
Ragdollmaster wrote:
"a" for effort?
Ragdollmaster wrote:
using that horrid pile of sin you call a controller makes you literally hitler


Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:34 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:24 pm
Posts: 3933
Location: NORTH
Post Re: WHAT YOU GET FOR CHRISTMAS.
I love all you people, but reading this argument caused a healthy fraction of my grey matter to spontaneously undergo mass cellular apoptosis and dribble out of my ear canal like a thick, buttery porridge.


Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:45 pm
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Post Re: WHAT YOU GET FOR CHRISTMAS.
Rag I'm not really sure what happened.
Maybe your shift key broke and you're extra butthurt?
Or you broke your leg really badly and are now on some extra potent painkillers perhaps?
Or maybe your account got hijacked and someone is pretending to be you?
Dunno. Regardless,
Lazarus, Tropic Thunder, 2008 wrote:
Check it out. Dustin Hoffman, ‘Rain Man,’ look retarded, act retarded, not retarded. Count toothpicks to your cards. Autistic, sure. Not retarded. You know Tom Hanks, ‘Forrest Gump.’ Slow, yes. Retarded, maybe. Braces on his legs. But he charmed the pants off Nixon and won a ping-pong competition. That ain’t retarded. You went full retard, man. Never go full retard.


Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:47 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:09 am
Posts: 1115
Location: Being The Great Juju
Post Re: WHAT YOU GET FOR CHRISTMAS.
Metal Chao wrote:
I learned it from you <3
those aren't insults, they're conjectures and factual statements

meanwhile itt hku manages, unsurprisingly, to re-demonstrate an unsurpassed inability to read

edit:
Quote:
but reading this argument caused a healthy fraction of my grey matter to spontaneously undergo mass cellular apoptosis and dribble out of my ear canal like a thick, buttery porridge.
mm. porridge.


Last edited by Ragdollmaster on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:48 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:04 pm
Posts: 529
Location: Britannia
Post Re: WHAT YOU GET FOR CHRISTMAS.
*sobs*
Please stop fighting guys! D':

Why can't we just have a happy Christmas like a normal family?


Last edited by WalkableBuffalo on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:49 pm
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Post Re: WHAT YOU GET FOR CHRISTMAS.
Ragdollmaster wrote:
meanwhile itt hku manages, unsurprisingly, to re-demonstrate an unsurpassed inability to read
Well I've still got my ability to capitalize at least.
Looking at how far you are though, seems like I'll be losing that next.


Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:51 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:24 pm
Posts: 3933
Location: NORTH
Post Re: WHAT YOU GET FOR CHRISTMAS.


Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:53 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:09 am
Posts: 1115
Location: Being The Great Juju
Post Re: WHAT YOU GET FOR CHRISTMAS.


Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:56 pm
Profile
happy carebear mom
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:40 am
Posts: 7094
Location: b8bbd5
Post Re: WHAT YOU GET FOR CHRISTMAS.
Ragdollmaster wrote:
360 dpad is atrocious for the same reason as the wiiu's, fused buttons do not lead to a responsive or precise method of control. dualshock's individual directional buttons are spot on.
Oh man do you not know how dpads are made? They're all fused, always. It's actually somewhat of a feature of them, take a look at this teardown of a dualshock3:

Notice the fused dpad in the lower right. Furthermore, take a look at this image of replacement parts for the dualshock3. Also note that this is not because it's from a kit you have to split, the buttons are already split.

Again, fused. Just because the fusion is done below the case does not make it less fused.


Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:33 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:34 am
Posts: 2034
Post Re: WHAT YOU GET FOR CHRISTMAS.
It's okay because every new console has something stupid about it, however, they all have positive things too. So here lets get it out of our system.
Xbox #3 - Raedon 6670? Come on wow my grandma has a better graphics card in her kindle fire. and preventing used games from working? The ♥♥♥♥? Fascists.
Wii U - a controller thats not ergonomic, and a graphics upgrade, not like Nintendo home consoles ever need one
Gabecube - wow a 1000 piece of metal that I drill onto my monitor, ruining 20 dollars worth of plastic exterior, all it does is play valve games better gay
OUYA - actually there is nothing redeeming about this and there never will be, shut up
3DS - wow a 3D gimmick hella mad gay.
PS Vita - wow no 3D gimmick hella gay mad. the N-Gage even has more pixels wow
PC - dead
Playstation 4 - no doubt going to copy nintendo as usual


Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:31 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.
[ Time : 0.022s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off ]