View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Music Instruments and the Like 

Post Re: Music Instruments and the Like
I played piano through high school, stopped when college came around, though I still pick it back up every now and again. I've played at least half of the Chopin nocturnes and would gladly go through the rest if I ever went back. Favorite is the first C minor nocturne.

Nowadays I play cello in my college orchestra and will probably continue to find orchestras until I grow old and die. Provides such a great emotional outlet. Favorite is Brahms Sonata for Piano and Cello, E minor. What can I say? I'm a romantic guy.

I'm not much one for composing or improvisation. If you ask me to just sit down with my cello and play something, I will have no idea what to do.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:06 am
Moderator Hero

My professor of music was taught by Rostropovich I think. He's a mental Russian cellist, absolutely amazing musician. (Both of them) Heard him play Bach on his Guarneri once, I've never heard Bach played so crazily. It was perfect.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:56 pm

I've been playing guitar for about two years now. Personally have a Schecter Hellraiser Custom that I run through a super-cheap and crappy ibanez practice amp and some Boss pedals. I also occasionally use my dads Fenders Stratocaster and Super Champ(amp) but not very often.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:18 pm
Data Realms SUPER Elite
Data Realms SUPER Elite

If somebody needs to know who Brahms or Chopin are, I don't believe they should really say that classical music sucks. I personally love Chopin and Brahms, so kudos to you. Funnily enough, I don't really like Beethoven, Bach, or Mozart. To huffy puffy and elitist for my layman tastes (that was partially sarcasm). My favorite composer of all time, however, is Gershwin.

You just can't get better than that in my eyes.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:53 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I always preferred some of the earlier east european classical and romantic composers (those are two distinct time periods, i hate it when people call romantic music classical). I'm also down with most of the modernclassical stuff, provided the dissonance is controlled well, and not monkey note bashing.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:42 pm
Moderator Hero

Contemporary music is in some ways far more complicated than the late romantic styles of the early 20th century. Some composers use mathematical formulae to generate music such as Xenakis and the new complexity school, others such as Philip Glass and Steve Reich have had their music imitated in Hollywood (Matrix vs Glass' Koyaanistquaatsi for a brief example).

I studied at Goldsmiths, taught by Roger Redgate who is part of the school of New Complexity. I found that by knowing how the piece is created I can appreciate what seems at first to be monkey note bashing, and can be hella fun. Do stop me if I'm geeking out, I will try and force my knowledge and views upon you if I'm left unchecked.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:11 am
Data Realms SUPER Elite
Data Realms SUPER Elite

No you ain't yet. You undoubtedly have a higher understanding of music than we, but not geeky.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:35 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

You have a higher degree of skill than we, for sure.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:09 am

I am a senior in high school and I sing tenor in the chamber choir at my school. Dr. James Jordan of Westminister Choir College in Princeton invited us to sing with his most advanced choir, so in a few days we will be flying to New Jersey to rehearse with them and get a free tour of the campus. We will be rehearsing three selections with him, one of which is the beautiful Morten Lauridsen O Magnum Mysterium and the other two of which are two movements of a piece being premiered soon by Jordan's choir. I cannot share these with you, but here, have a gander at this beautiful piece of music:

In addition, I will be auditioning for the school of music at Florida Atlantic University, and I will be auditioning as a tenor, singing Standchen by Schubert.
I am not as good as any of the three tenors, obviously, but that's the general idea of where I stand as a singer.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:01 am
Data Realms SUPER Elite
Data Realms SUPER Elite

I've been playing around with the weirder chords recently. I really like the sound of G7#9 Gives a bluesy feel that is edgy without (ab)using the blues scale, which I detest. Hanging on it for too long though sounds weird, probably because my guitar is perma-out-of-tune.

I also like augmented chords when finishing off a progression, those sound clean.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:10 pm

Talking about tuning. My RG has a floyd rose bridge, which are notorious for going out of tune. But I could pick up my guitar from next to a heater(terrible idea, fixed that now.) divebomb for an hour or two on end, then get on my bike and ride out into the cold outside world, arrive at class and it would still be in tune. I'm so in love with this thing.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:22 pm
Data Realms SUPER Elite
Data Realms SUPER Elite

I have a guitar like that.

My electric is never in tune because while I was putting on the new body, I misjudged the strength of the neck wood and tightened the screws a tad to hard. It's a little loose, and so now when you play it, the neck is bending and it's out of tune.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3