View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Music Instruments and the Like 

Post Re: Music Instruments and the Like
Roast Veg wrote:
You're a better pianist than me, sir.
Try playing it, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Concord sounds like it would be pretty cool to learn too, but until I can get around to Romance in Andante I think I'll learn Cloudland Swing.

I need to learn a Jazzy/Blueys song for Music anyway.

I'll wait until I get my epic Yamaha Piano until I post any pictures. Atm I use a 120 year old German piano (Yes, it survived both of the world wars), with intact ivory keys and it’s in great condition. It’s really wasted on my family, and with me getting my epic 'Contemporary' Piano as they call it, I won't be using it nearly as much.

Last edited by Fail Flail on Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:13 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Well I looked up the sheet music, and you're right it's far simpler that I'd imagined. Wiosna, too looks like it'll be fun, so I'll get to work on that now.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:24 pm
Moderator Hero

I is a pruh fesh nal violinist, got an 1890 french mercourt violin with "the band" pickup, couple steel string acoustic guitars (takamine) and a Sunn Mustang electric with custom pickups and far too many stickers. Also have a fusion keyboard and a few amps. Looking to round that out with a bass and some recording equipment.

Fail flail, your best bet is to practice 1 5 3 2 1 2 3 1 5

Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:11 pm

Seraph, that sounds a bit overly complicated, 5 3 2 1 2 1 3 5 is my best bet (I think).
Unrelated, but I finally finished Katawa Shoujo and funnily enough the Rin story-line. I'll be brief and say Rin's the bestest, but followed shortly by Lilly.
Back on topic, any of you guys have particularly favorite pieces?

This took me forever to learn, but it was well worth it, unbelievably fun and epic to play.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:11 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Fail Flail wrote:
Back on topic, any of you guys have particularly favorite pieces?

These two songs from the game VVVVVV:

I can play Pushing Onwards, but in a simplified way. Those guys are basically playing what would require 3 hands using 2 hands, which requires an amount of skill that I can't even dream of ever acquiring. :P

Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:30 am

I hate watching people like that, it's just depressing.
I tried to learn Running Hell a while back, but just couldn't get the timing right, screwing up the whole song.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:47 am

Well, right now I play guitar, been playing for 2 or 3 or 4 years, I have no idea. I used to play violin in high school, but I quit that ♥♥♥♥. I wish I never had, it`s such a beautiful instrument. I`ve always wanted to learn how to play piano, and the cello which is in my opinion the most beautiful instrument ever.

I`m thinking of getting a decent bass guitar to start learning some Rush and Alice In Chains, anyone have any suggestions on a decent bass guitar for around $300-400 CAD?

Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:24 am
Moderator Hero

Fail my reasoning behind the fingering is that it pivots around your thumb which was good for me to do repetitive stuff, each to his own though. I have crazy spidery hands that contort and scare small children.

ALSO I didn't type it right, because I am a drunkard.

5 1 32123 1 5

Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:08 pm

And suddenly it makes a thousand times more sense :lol: , I'll try that out.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:29 pm

I played piano through high school, stopped when college came around, though I still pick it back up every now and again. I've played at least half of the Chopin nocturnes and would gladly go through the rest if I ever went back. Favorite is the first C minor nocturne.

Nowadays I play cello in my college orchestra and will probably continue to find orchestras until I grow old and die. Provides such a great emotional outlet. Favorite is Brahms Sonata for Piano and Cello, E minor. What can I say? I'm a romantic guy.

I'm not much one for composing or improvisation. If you ask me to just sit down with my cello and play something, I will have no idea what to do.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:06 am
Moderator Hero

My professor of music was taught by Rostropovich I think. He's a mental Russian cellist, absolutely amazing musician. (Both of them) Heard him play Bach on his Guarneri once, I've never heard Bach played so crazily. It was perfect.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:56 pm

I've been playing guitar for about two years now. Personally have a Schecter Hellraiser Custom that I run through a super-cheap and crappy ibanez practice amp and some Boss pedals. I also occasionally use my dads Fenders Stratocaster and Super Champ(amp) but not very often.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:18 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I always preferred some of the earlier east european classical and romantic composers (those are two distinct time periods, i hate it when people call romantic music classical). I'm also down with most of the modernclassical stuff, provided the dissonance is controlled well, and not monkey note bashing.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:42 pm
Moderator Hero

Contemporary music is in some ways far more complicated than the late romantic styles of the early 20th century. Some composers use mathematical formulae to generate music such as Xenakis and the new complexity school, others such as Philip Glass and Steve Reich have had their music imitated in Hollywood (Matrix vs Glass' Koyaanistquaatsi for a brief example).

I studied at Goldsmiths, taught by Roger Redgate who is part of the school of New Complexity. I found that by knowing how the piece is created I can appreciate what seems at first to be monkey note bashing, and can be hella fun. Do stop me if I'm geeking out, I will try and force my knowledge and views upon you if I'm left unchecked.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:11 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

You have a higher degree of skill than we, for sure.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next