View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Mod icons - Folder specific icons 

Post Mod icons - Folder specific icons
Hey there, I was messing around with icons, and I thought I'd test something out. What I thought was, because icons are based on a full path, (like "C:/program files/games/cortex command/mod.rte/icon.ico") you couldn't send a folder to someone and have it use the same icon.
But with a little info I recently researched, this is actually possible, in every folder in windows that has an icon there is an invisible system file called "desktop.ini" which sets the characteristics of the folder - such as the icon. All you need to do is put the icon in the folder and edit the "desktop.ini" to say something like:
Code:
[.ShellClassInfo]
IconResource=Icon.ico,0

Then it will look for a file called Icon.ico and load it as the icon for the folder. I'm not sure if this works for other OSs, or older versions of windows like vista and xp, but it can make things a lot easier to see on 7, and looks pretty cool too.
Here's an example of a folder with the desktop.ini changed, I've tested it on a different computer, so it should at least work on win7.
Attachment:
File comment: Files:
MRS.rte.7z
---Icon.ico
---desktop.ini

MRS.rte.7z [2.49 KiB]
Downloaded 301 times

Folders that don't have any changes to them don't have a "desktop.ini" so you'll have to add an icon or make some kind of change to the folder for it to generate one.
Also, you will need to set the right settings up in folder options so you can see "Protected Operating System Files". I'd recommend turning this off straight after though, as desktop.ini's and all manner of other things can be seen around the place, including at least one on the desktop.

I think it'd be cool if all the mod folders had their icons, and I think I'll be doing this for any mods I make in future.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:08 am

Post Re: Mod icons - Folder specific icons
Heh i actually did that for my mod (which god knows when i will relese) two years ago :-P
And yes that would make them somewhat more elite.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]