View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Psychological question for school 

Location: Standing on the edge of a large pit of lava facing away from it.
Post Psychological question for school
I'm doing a survey for my psychology class. I had to chose a observational or experimental research approach and i chose an observational research question.

My question I chose is the relationship between why people play video-games and age.

Do you play video-games and if so what type of game do you play and why do you play them? Please say your age in the comment.

Thank you for your time.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:52 am

Post Re: Psychological question for school
This is an incredibly vague question
I also hope you don't expect a comprehensive list of all the games I play because that isn't happening

Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:00 am

JJA79 wrote:
My question I chose is the relationship between why people play video-games and age.

The question you should be asking then is "What is your age and why do you play videogames?"

Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:28 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I like strategy games, specially if they are turn based and online. I don't know, I like playing a lot with my friends, and in that kind of games you usually don't need to waste time leveling or finishing incredibly long quests, it's just a straight forward friendly competition.

And I'm 18.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:42 am

I hope this is like middle school psychology or something because this if pretty lackluster. I guess you're just try to blow off this assignment so I suppose that's understandable.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:02 am
DRLGrump

I enjoy playing brutally violent videogames to repress the bloodlust that haunts me every day, whispering in my ear, telling me to let loose. And yet, sometimes I fear it's not enough. I need more violence with each passing day. I'm no longer satisfied with beating a hooker senseless with a lead pipe. Now I need to beat 4, or 5 hookers nightly with increasingly unlikely and preposterous weapons. I'm not sure where it will end.

I certainly hope I haven't skewed your survey.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:04 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I'm thirty eight and I typically play massive scale grand strategy games. For the challenge, of course. There is something about seeing that small family that owned a castle in Cornwall now ruling over an empire that spans Britain, France, West Germany and Northern Spain. I prefer the real time ones, mostly like Hearts of Iron 2 and 3, Europa Universalis 3, and soon to be four, Victoria 2 and especially Crusader Kings 2. I love that game.

I occasionally play more casual games whenever I need time to strategize, so I'll pull out Civ4 and play that for a while, usually on Emperor difficulty, with the Rise of Mankind mod on a large map. Caveman2Cosmos has taken a lot of time time, especially with that massive tech tree :D

Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:26 am
Profile WWW

I like pwning noobs, but I get bored by every game in existence after some 60mins. You can only pwn noobs in that many ways.
In some games I play there are no noobs to pwn, and those are the games I mod, like dwarf fortress.

I'm 27.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:36 pm

Anything i deem to be fun, rather vague i know, but that how it is, I don't really have a set genre of games that i play all the time, I could say RTS/TBS (real time strategy, Turn base strategy) games mainly, but again it's any game i deem to be enjoyable.

Although i think Lately it has been Hack and slash games, And TBT, (Turn base Tactics, like Front Mission, Fire emblem and the recent X-com game) along with RTT (UFO Aftermach).

And i'm 20.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:40 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I mostly play real- and turn-based strategy and tactics games, such as the Total War series, Company of Heroes, Dawn of War and Civilization.
I also play simulation games, varying from war simulators such as ArmA 2 to flight simulators and combat flight simulators.
I'm 15.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:34 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I like to think I play a wide and varied range of videogames, not limited to but including warfare games, first and third person shooters, sandbox games, adventure games, puzzle games, train simulators and dating sims.

With a lot of them it's all about the challenge, achieving a task that I set out to do with realistic goals and short term rewards, including sandbox games and train simulators, but not including dating sims and adventure games, which I regard as more of a "good book" philosophy. An excellent story can and does preoccupy me for weeks at a time.

I'm 16, but I was introduced to videogames at a slightly later age than my peers and have always been a console behind and a PC too underspecced.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:01 pm
DRLGrump

Roast Veg wrote:
I'm 16, but I was introduced to videogames at a slightly later age than my peers and have always been a console behind and a PC too underspecced.

N64 for lyfe. Nothing beats four people playing those games. ♥♥♥♥ gets competitive at a rate you wouldn't believe.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:16 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

My console history is PS1, PS2, Wii.
My handheld history is GBASP, DS, 3DS.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:17 pm
DRLGrump

Console history: SNES, N64, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox360
Handheld: GameBoy (The big gray ♥♥♥♥), GameBoy Pocket, GameBoy Color, GameBoy Advance, GameBoy SP (the one I still use), GameBoy DS
I got nostalgia out the ass.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:24 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Console history: Wii
Handheld history: GameBoy Color
So yeah. I've always been a PC master race elitist snob

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next