View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Them daily comics yo 
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post Re: Them daily comics yo
♥♥♥♥ yeah, more comics

Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:55 pm

Awesome, glad to hear i'm not the only person being entertained by this. c:

also HERE WE GO

OUTKING'D

Also thinking about setting up a temporary place where i can dump my comics (until i get a more permanent site up), so i don't have to do it across 3 forums and take up space on those. I can't be bothered uploading all the old comics there though, that takes a million years and they're already uploaded on my deviantArt account. I think i have just the place to do this! c:

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:05 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

My brain can't even handle all this king

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:23 pm

Thats because Shook is the kingliest of all Kings.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:08 am

KNEEL BEFORE YOUR king

however i am actually not very king

i wish i was super king though :c

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:40 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Has king come to replace swag? I sure as ♥♥♥♥ hope so.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:02 pm

I know i've heard people use the word "KING!" (or rather KONGE) as a positive interjection/adjective (only in gymnasium though) ala "AWESOME", so there is hope!

Edit: also NEWSSSSSSSSSSS

http://www.webcomicsnation.com/shook/st ... series.php

I have now set up a temporary site where i post the comics, so i don't have to cross-post updates every other day. It does feature comments, but i think it requires a login, so this thread remains open for comments and such, in case you don't want to bother making an account over there.

also the observant person will notice that there is a new comic up today

Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:20 pm
Profile WWW

HELLO HI GUYS

I'm going to assume that no news is good news, but i'd still like to hear your thoughts. Do i even stand ANY chance in the gigantic world of webcomics? :U

also new one today which took approximately 7 minutes to draw

Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Most likely not. Sorry, the market is just so saturated.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:04 pm

We still love you though!

Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:14 pm

You can be our exclusive thing

Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:27 pm

Well, if you would like to consider it, I'd go for a slightly cleaner style (ie thicker, smoother lines) to give it a more stylized look- I think MSPaint aesthetics tend to nearly instantly turn people off, to be honest. With that said I think there's certainly an audience for silly little random comics like this, it's reminiscent of something like Cyanide & Happiness, which is hugely popular. The main problem trying to start a webcomic is trying to advertise your unique comic amidst a sea of thousands of generic and unremarkable competitors, with a few towering titans that have thousands of regular readers. I imagine a decent way to gain exposure is through other, well-reputed comic artists- getting them to give a short shout-out (ie "Yo guys check out this guest/tribute comic this Shook guy drew for me, man he's hilarious here's his website") can mean a lot of unique viewers being exposed to material at once.

The other thing with making a comic is you have to balance the quality versus time required versus regularity of submission; for instead, Cyanide & Happiness has unrelated daily comics which aren't of a particularly high graphical quality, but they manage to be fresh enough that their regular viewers stay regular. Questionable Content has five comics a week, Monday thru Friday, but it has the advantage of following short story arcs that allows the author to come up with short plots, taking care of the problem of figuring out what to write next- all that's left is drawing, and the drawing is typically pretty good. A lot of other comics follow the M/W/F format (ie Dr. McNinja) and typically have longer arcs or chapters, or are just a never-ending stream of plot progression, and have generally good art to go along with the story.

Also, you've got a pretty good stockpile of starting material in this thread here to have a decent backlog of comics, allowing you to take your time coming up with new ones, so that's a plus.

tl;dr > NEEDS MOAR HI-DEF LINES, SOLICIT OTHER ARTISTS FOR SHOUT-OUTS, FIGURE OUT HOW OFTEN YOU CAN COME UP WITH NEW JOKES, PROFIT

And good luck if you do try to go through with it! Statistically speaking the odds are stacked massively against you, but a man can dream

Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:16 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

WE BELIEVE IN YOU, SHOOK

Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:10 am

Aw. c:
Also, screw statistics, I HAVE A DREAMMMMMMMMMMMM WHERE...

yes

Anyways yeah, good points y'all are making, i'm well aware that i'll have to work very hard to get it known beyond my immediate circle of acquaintances, but at least i have plenty of time to make it so. Also, fortunately, it just so happens that making a smoother visual style is entirely within the realms of possibility, and it doesn't even take that much longer to do. I think i'm going to stick with the three-per-week schedule for now though, i VERY NEARLY burnt myself out on comics (for good!!) back in the daily days. If i begin feeling like that again, i'll turn down the frequency, although i suspect it won't be nearly as pressing with this new schedule.

AND SPEAKING OF WHICH, i think i'm going to change it to tuesday/friday/sunday, since it fits much better with my classes at uni (read: tuesday is really short and i have no classes on fridays, while monday/wednesday/thursday are all hellish days). Hope y'all aren't too shocked by this. :U

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:59 pm
Profile WWW

Shook wrote:
Aw. c:
Also, screw statistics, I HAVE A DREAMMMMMMMMMMMM WHERE...

yes

Anyways yeah, good points y'all are making, i'm well aware that i'll have to work very hard to get it known beyond my immediate circle of acquaintances, but at least i have plenty of time to make it so. Also, fortunately, it just so happens that making a smoother visual style is entirely within the realms of possibility, and it doesn't even take that much longer to do. I think i'm going to stick with the three-per-week schedule for now though, i VERY NEARLY burnt myself out on comics (for good!!) back in the daily days. If i begin feeling like that again, i'll turn down the frequency, although i suspect it won't be nearly as pressing with this new schedule.

AND SPEAKING OF WHICH, i think i'm going to change it to tuesday/friday/sunday, since it fits much better with my classes at uni (read: tuesday is really short and i have no classes on fridays, while monday/wednesday/thursday are all hellish days). Hope y'all aren't too shocked by this. :U

If you want a really good tip for getting popular, just keep drawing.
Seriously, just don't quit drawing as long as you enjoy drawing, don't let a lack of popularity harm you desire to do what you like. Popularity will follow if other people like what you create, and if they don't, ♥♥♥♥ em.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next