View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Navy to Deploy Super Weapon: Laser 

Post Navy to Deploy Super Weapon: Laser
http://gma.yahoo.com/navys-laser-weapon-blasts-bad-215808231.html

WTF.

user was warned for this useless topic creation

and also gratuitously overlong link

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:49 pm

Post Re: Navy to Deploy Super Weapon: Laser
army invents new superweapon: URL so big it can destroy any topic in existence

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:51 pm

Laser weapons aren't really new, we've had anti-missile lasers and anti-mortar lasers for some time now, this is neat though, looks like a good idea.

The Navy also has a railgun with an effective range further than the curvature of the earth allows them to target...

Metal Chao wrote:
army invents new superweapon: URL so big it can destroy any topic in existence

The forces of North Korea will be powerless against it with their small computer screens.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:52 pm
Loose Canon

Neither new nor super. It's an anti-air device at the moment, and it's probably not very effective against things with decent armor.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:47 pm
Profile WWW
REAL AMERICAN HERO

This is a fairly "simple" extension of existing technologies. As far as I'm aware, this uses the fire control radar from a Phalanx CIWS and an essentialy commercial laser. Interestingly, I can't seem to find any specs for the actual power of the laser, though given the class of vessel there's an absolute upper boundary of 18MW, and that would be 100% of the ship's operating power diverted to the laser, an absolute impossibility. I'd say, given everything else on board the ship, I'd put an upper boundary on the power of the laser at ~3MW.

Also, HKU, there are no things that this is designed to stop with "decent" armor. If it's an aircraft, then it's either A: slow enough to hit with a missile/intercept with an aircraft, or B: weak enough to kill with a laser. If it's a boat, the exact same logic applies. This tech would really, really shine if it were as capable of the Centurion C-RAM, but I doubt the laser has a strong enough duty cycle to counter a mortar barrage.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:02 pm
Loose Canon

Just saying, it's cool and accurate, but it's hardly a "super" weapon.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:17 pm
Profile WWW

Grif wrote:
This is a fairly "simple" extension of existing technologies. As far as I'm aware, this uses the fire control radar from a Phalanx CIWS and an essentialy commercial laser. Interestingly, I can't seem to find any specs for the actual power of the laser, though given the class of vessel there's an absolute upper boundary of 18MW, and that would be 100% of the ship's operating power diverted to the laser, an absolute impossibility. I'd say, given everything else on board the ship, I'd put an upper boundary on the power of the laser at ~3MW.

Also, HKU, there are no things that this is designed to stop with "decent" armor. If it's an aircraft, then it's either A: slow enough to hit with a missile/intercept with an aircraft, or B: weak enough to kill with a laser. If it's a boat, the exact same logic applies. This tech would really, really shine if it were as capable of the Centurion C-RAM, but I doubt the laser has a strong enough duty cycle to counter a mortar barrage.

Uh oh,

do you work in a government lab somewhere?

should I have not asked that just now?

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:30 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Jackslancer wrote:
Grif wrote:

Uh oh,

I wouldn't say so. Grif is just well informed like usual. But he is right. I'd say that this is just a "look what we have" kind of move from the US navy.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:35 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Jackslancer wrote:
Grif wrote:

Uh oh,

Well he was in active duty for a while and also he just knows these things

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:43 pm
Profile WWW

Someone please delete this dreadful topic

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:24 am

Sothe wrote:
Someone please delete this dreadful topic

Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:06 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

someone please delete this dreadful person

Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:43 am
Profile WWW

Miggles wrote:
someone please delete this dreadful person

holy ♥♥♥♥ this please

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:19 am

"WTF"? Good job kickstarting the discussion brohem.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:42 am

111herbert111 wrote:
"WTF"? Good job kickstarting the discussion brohem.

I thought so.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:36 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next