View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 ~sigh~ San Andreas Problem 

Post ~sigh~ San Andreas Problem
I'm not one to ask other people how to fix a problem with my computer, it's just not what i do, but after 4 or 5 hours of *bad word*ing around with it i don't even care anymore.

Here is what i posted on another forum but i want to play tonight so i figured i'd ask all around including here.

Alright well i just got home and i was all excited because after 2 weeks in the mail *mail sucks i hate it* i finally got GTA:SA from best buy.

Installed it, no problem. Tried to play, problem...

Basically i double click on the icon, run gta_sa.exe, or just the autoplay to start and all that happens is that the cursor goes to a pointer with an hour glass for about 3-5 seconds and then the computer freezes... If i have music playing it loops in about a 5 second loop. The only way to fix it is to restart and try some other crazy freaking solution.

I've tried the program stopping thing *that windows has i forget the name* Allowing it to connect to the internet through my firewall, the 98 compatability thing, 2000 compat, updating video card drivers, updating DIRECTX, reinstalling (i've done it 3 times now, latest one i actually changed the name of the folder by throwing a "2" at the end of rockstar games) Uninstalling daemon tools, uninstalling SA then Reinstalling after i did that, nothing. Nothing has come close to working....

A lot of solutions say replacing that file gta_sa.set file, but i don't even have an original to replace, where is that file supposed to even go? (I've checked my documents there is not gta:sa user data file or w/e it's called)

I have a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Duel Core Processor 3800+
X-FI Fatal1ty gamer pro edition
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT
2.00 GB of Corsair RAM (don't remember name, both 1GB sticks have large silver heatsinks if that helps)

Thats all the info that should apply to a video game, i have 60GB left over with the thing installed so i'm not trying to cram it on or anything.

This is the weirdest thing thats ever happened to me when it comes to game bugs and crashes, normally i get SOMETHING going on, like a black screen, some flickering, an error, a BSOD, but no this thing just freaking goes "sure i'm gonna load.... LOLZ JK FREEZORZ!!!"

Any Ideas?

Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:13 pm
Profile WWW

Thu May 10, 2007 11:46 am
Profile WWW

Reinstall windows, could be anything...

First warning, Reinstalling windows is not easy, its a BIG thing. Theres a 95% change there could be something EASY to fix the problem.

Check videocard drivers, i know when i tried a few games, the videocard drivers wouldnt let me play. also download the April dx9 update from microsoft you might be missing or something corrpt. if else fails, try reinstalling the game,

Thu May 10, 2007 11:09 pm

He's said hes done all that already, Plus installing windows aint hard.
Just backup all your data and follow the prompts.

Fri May 11, 2007 2:28 am
Profile WWW

Reinstalling Windows is not a Fix-all, End-all.

It could be a number of problems, ie. RAM not functioning correctly, incorrect drivers, conflicting hardware issues.

Uninstall the game, reinstall all the required drivers and make sure they are working correctly then reinstall the game.

Fri May 11, 2007 12:54 pm
Profile WWW

Juggz, stop telling everyone to format!!!Even though it works...-.-

Fri May 11, 2007 1:28 pm
Profile WWW

Reinstalling Windows is not a Fix-all, End-all.

It could be a number of problems, ie. RAM not functioning correctly, incorrect drivers, conflicting hardware issues.

Uninstall the game, reinstall all the required drivers and make sure they are working correctly then reinstall the game.

I was being generalised, sheesh.
I would check hardware components, driver and all that crap first but guess what. Im not about to tell someone to do that over the internet and have them come back a day later saying

"OMG YOU BROKE MY COMPUTER YOU TARD"

Because they put the RAM back in backwards or installed a driver made for Linux or something...
Now I'd like it if everyone stops pestering me about recommending the easiest solution.

Fri May 11, 2007 2:42 pm
Profile WWW

You *do* know that it's impossible to stick RAM in the wrong way, right?

And unless the person you're trying to help is like 5... I highly doubt that they are going to download drivers made for Linux. MOST Driver sites, can tell which OS you are using and recommend the RIGHT drivers. :P

I'm not dissing you or anything, but a technician really should know that reinstalling windows is usually a last resort.

Sat May 12, 2007 12:09 am
Profile WWW

OH MY GOD, I just said it is our last resort... Sheesh blind much?

And it is possible to get in in backwards, we had a customer building his own machine once and rang up saying the RAM would go in. We said it only goes in one way and takes a little pressure to pop it in.
He brings his Motherboard in the the next day and guess what, he got the RAM in backwards, there was a nice split in it and everything. Also the board was cracked.

Sat May 12, 2007 3:32 am
Profile WWW

And I will correct myself, RAM shouldn't go in backwards WITHOUT breaking anything.

Better? :P

Sat May 12, 2007 4:37 am
Profile WWW

Sat May 12, 2007 6:48 am

It's when things like that happening you realise... Most humans are idiots...

Sat May 12, 2007 10:14 am
Profile WWW

I remember a time I wanted to swap a motherboard to another case...

I disconnected all the wiring... then forgot where they all went! XD

Needless to say, I spent a long time looking for the Motherboard help files on the internet! LOL

Sat May 12, 2007 10:32 am
Profile WWW

Look in your documents for a folder called gta saves or something open it and erase all the files in there if that wont work you might need a hacked gta_sa.exe to run it.

I have gta_sa and I had a similar problem but deleting everything in the saved games folder fixed it.

Quote:
I remember a time I wanted to swap a motherboard to another case...

I disconnected all the wiring... then forgot where they all went! XD

Needless to say, I spent a long time looking for the Motherboard help files on the internet! LOL

You should have used felts to color code the ends of your ribbons and wires.

Sat May 12, 2007 11:43 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]