View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Best book ever (also some off-topic text) 

Post Re: Best book ever (also some off-topic text)
Metal Chao wrote:
Anyone who hasn't read the complete works of Terry Pratchett should probably stop whatever boring bull♥♥♥♥ they're currently doing and do that

Complete works?
Boy that's a lot
And I've only read the Colour of Magic...

Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:54 pm

WalkableBuffalo wrote:
Metal Chao wrote:
Anyone who hasn't read the complete works of Terry Pratchett should probably stop whatever boring bull♥♥♥♥ they're currently doing and do that

Complete works?
Boy that's a lot
And I've only read the Colour of Magic...

The first few are his worst, you're missing out 0:
Most of them don't need to be read in order

Guards! Guards! > Men at Arms > Feet of Clay > Jingo > The Fifth Elephant > Night Watch > Thud!
is not a bad place to start (haha start, that is seven books) because Sam Vimes is a very popular character and Thud! is widely regarded as among the best of all of them

Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:55 pm

Metal Chao wrote:
See that is where I think you are mistaken, while it is true that many books do simply exist to tell you a story about a man killing dragons, just as many use the realm of fiction to examine the human condition and, yes, different approaches to understanding the world around you.
Not every book has a moral but plenty of them will clearly demonstrate an author's way of thinking or ideal view of what a person should be or do. Become widely read in all realms of fiction and you'll have tasted hundreds of different perspectives on how a person should view the world and what they are expected to do with their life.

It's also much less galling to swallow philosophy entwined with a narrative than it is to read someone literally telling you how to think!

I have to say, you DO have a point. But we shall all say that we all have our opinions and thoughts, and if you want to change your view of the world by a fiction book, well, it's your choice. But I don't want to, and, well, it's my choice.
Anyways, it's not only books that can make you think, some songs also mean stuff. Not to mention movies like Donnie Darko, The Box, etc.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:47 pm

You're entitled to your own opinion but that doesn't mean I can't tell you when it's a bit silly.
If you want to artificially limit yourself for no particular reason though, there's no way I can actually stop you.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Metal Chao wrote:
You're entitled to your own opinion but that doesn't mean I can't tell you when it's a bit silly.
If you want to artificially limit yourself for no particular reason though, there's no way I can actually stop you.

I think it's intelligent, and I think your opinion is silly, and the same for you about me.
As for limiting myself to artificial limits, well, I'm more of a realistic person, not an artificial one. And BTW, I don't care if it's galling to learn about things I see interesting.
If you want to continue the discussion, let's do it somewhere else so we don't go off topic here.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:21 pm

I think you're all silly
Now go read a book!

Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:29 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I don't like Terry Pratchett as a person, and I find his books difficult to read.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:46 pm

Nobody got my Leaf House joke

Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:50 am

I got it Sothe, I just didn't think it was funny enough to be worthy of acknowledgement

Also Veg I'm afraid you're not allowed to talk to me any more

Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:55 am

Nonsequitorian wrote:
Also, Joseh, to say that you don't want to read fiction because you don't like artificial stories becaues you're not artificial is extremely confusing. Much of the time the stories can be more real than any non-fiction book. They don't call it "getting into a book" for no reason. When I read, I feel like I'm there. I don't think about the text on the page, I think about what's going to happen with the my best friend the main character (or if the story is really really interesting, my least favorite person, the protagonist). I remember reading the first Flashman novel and accidentally throwing the book in frustration and glee at the wall at one point when Flashman is deemed a hero near the end-ish (If you've read the book, you'd understand.)

Gah, too much things to explain about me. I've read fantasy books once. I've read romance books, comedy books, dramatic books, etc.
I've never "got inside" them. I don't know why, but I just can't. All I see on the book is letters and a nice story to tell my children when I grow up.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2