View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Maart3n's awesome guitar build.(massive 8MP phonecam alert.) 

Post Maart3n's awesome guitar build.(massive 8MP phonecam alert.)
When I got home from school I found the following on my bed.
I wonder what that might contain....
Hmmm, that looks like... But it can't be, it was shipped just a week ago....
Nope, it is.

So my London City neck just came in the mail. I'd swear the ones in the ad had abalone/MoP binding but I'm actually really glad this one has maple binding.
The quality of this neck is amazing. The heel is about as comfortable as an AANJ and the neck is a thin D shape, which feels just right to me.
The inlays are real MOP and are handcut and glued into roughly cut holes that were then filled with something slightly darker than the fretboard. To me this looks like a black outline which I like but I can imagine it no being everybody's taste.
I measured it again and it does looks like it's actually a 24" scale neck, meaning that it's not an exact PRS clone. Ah well, I'll have to live with that.

Here's one more pic of the inlays and binding:

So, now for what is currently the plan:
Grab a set of schaller tuners off the internet for cheap.(matches holes.)
Buy a hipshot bridge at a reasonable price.(probably.)
Pickups, either BKPs(expensive option) or iron gears.(cheap and good, just like the neck)
Figure out which shape the body will have.

As for that last point, I'm currently thinking along the lines of this ESP
But with a 45* bevel around the edges instead of the carve top, just like a paul rhoney oceana.
Walnut body with a painted top.(like a good light blue, white or black.) with natural sides and back.

So, that's it then, I've officially embarked on this epic journey!
Questions? Comments? Complaints about my sure to come future mistakes? POST THEM!

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:32 pm

Post Re: Maart3n's awesome guitar build.(massive 8MP phonecam alert.)
Nonsequitorian wrote:
barring the neck. SORRY I DON'T KNOW THE PREPORTIONS AND DON'T HAVE THE TOOLS TO MAKE A NECK CORRECTLY

Haha, that's exactly why I ain't making my own neck.

I always thought you had butchered a tele to built that thing. Btw, concerning your distorted sound: did you wrap the insides of that thing in copper foil or not? Because if you don't it will probably also hum like a mother ♥♥♥♥ and distort your sound badly.

Btw, I wanna make this my classy guitar. Or make it looks classy, it's still gonna rock like the others but just look like a new age classic. Mostly because I already have a silver and transparent purple Ibanez RG550. So less flash, more class, even moar rock and roll!

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:47 pm

Post Re: Maart3n's awesome guitar build.(massive 8MP phonecam alert.)
I've recently went from metal to more rock-ish things. Like the drills, who are awesome.

I meant the insides of the guitar, to isolate it. You put copper tape all over the insides to isolate them, then you ground everything, including the copper plating and attach your ground to the output jack.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]