View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 21  Next
 General Music Discussion 
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post Re: General Music Discussion
So I rediscovered an old producer that made music for some top level games almost ten years ago, and discovered that he writes a wild variety of styles, most of it good.

Don't be put off by any of the earlier songs, it's might be much more to your genre later, skip through it if you have to.

Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:33 am

I would advise you all to never skip tracks except in special cases.
Well.... it is a big beat album

Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:06 am
Moderator Hero

Local Natives and The National are great live. Just sayin'.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:29 pm

all i have to say about music is that good music is like candy, you throw away the wrappers.

there are a few things that are kinda considered rap that aren't completely crap tho, imo any "rap" that contains the same exact list of subjects as 99.99% of the rest of it is c"rap", that list is as follows: drugs, guns, gang(s), body parts, sex, violence, prison time, cars, growing up in shitty places.

most of this c"rap" isn't all that bad once you completely remove all the lyrics from it

any music besides that is mostly good besides a lot of country with its "i'm a redneck on a tractor" lyrics songs

edit: oh and death metal, as long as the lyrics are UNDERSTANDABLE then its good, if i have to go look on the internet to understand even a single word then i don't really want to hear it.

Edit2: also that sounds quite similar to The Prodigy roast veg

Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:13 pm
Forum Moderator

I disagree, sometimes you can use vocals as instruments. Even if you have no idea what people are saying it can still contribute to the overall experience. Just look at all the sample splicing songs amateurs produce.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:48 pm

Did someone say sampling.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:00 pm

p3lb0x wrote:
I disagree, sometimes you can use vocals as instruments. Even if you have no idea what people are saying it can still contribute to the overall experience. Just look at all the sample splicing songs amateurs produce.

that however is quite a different kind of music, with screaming your lungs out it doesn't really contribute 90% of the time and just covers up the nice sound of the music.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:12 pm
Forum Moderator

It's a stylistic choice, screaming can be used to give your music a certain quality it wouldn't otherwise have. Just because it doesn't fit in your aesthetic vision doesn't mean it is ♥♥♥♥.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:08 pm

SPACEGOAT

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:24 pm

Xotano wrote:
imo any "rap" that contains the same exact list of subjects as 99.99% of the rest of it is c"rap",

well that's just your personal opinion

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:17 pm
Profile WWW

Xotano wrote:
all i have to say about music is that good music is like candy, you throw away the wrappers.

there are a few things that are kinda considered rap that aren't completely crap tho, imo any "rap" that contains the same exact list of subjects as 99.99% of the rest of it is c"rap", that list is as follows: drugs, guns, gang(s), body parts, sex, violence, prison time, cars, growing up in shitty places.

most of this c"rap" isn't all that bad once you completely remove all the lyrics from it

any music besides that is mostly good besides a lot of country with its "i'm a redneck on a tractor" lyrics songs

edit: oh and death metal, as long as the lyrics are UNDERSTANDABLE then its good, if i have to go look on the internet to understand even a single word then i don't really want to hear it.

Edit2: also that sounds quite similar to The Prodigy roast veg

Most people who think "rap" (that's hip hop) is crap have likely never sat through more than a few hip hop albums. Hip hop being "♥♥♥♥♥es and hoes" is a stereotype enforced by lamestream people like you, who don't know anything about hip hop. And so what if they're rapping about any of those things anyways? People do it in rock and get praised by the same people who hate on hip hop. Besides, a lot of the time, the artist is reflecting or retelling their life experiences and views. So you criticizing them for talking about these things is offensive. And what's wrong with talking about "drugs, guns, gang(s), body parts, sex, violence, prison time, cars, growing up in shitty places"? Lots of rappers have bad lives, and want to artistically express what it was like; so they talk about those things because they are in their lives. What, you want your music to be about magic wands and pixie dust? It's called Power Metal, look it up.

And again, trying to enforce shitty mainstream stereotypes to whole genres of music. Saying all country is "my dog dun died, im on a farm" is like saying all rock music sounds like Creed, Nickelback, or U2. I don't have much to say to defend country music, as I am not a fan of the style, really. I still like Ween a lot though.

The point of death metal, like most music, is to pay attention to the sound, dickweed. Lyrics aren't required, and understanding them isn't required. Death Metal is a huge genre with significant subgenres and styles, and saying its all ♥♥♥♥ because you don't like harsh vocals is a retard move. It's in the nature of the genre, the growling and guttural vocals accompany the harshness and aggression. This means that it's one of the defining characteristics that separate it from regular metal. So when you say "if its UNDERSTANDABLE then its good", what you actually are saying is "I want death metal that isn't death metal". So no, most death metal is not bad, you only like a couple songs in a genre that your virgin ears can't appreciate.

You being a Prodigy fan explains everything to me honestly. Not going to make a lengthy paragraph explaining why, since one of my idols already did it for me.
Ishkur wrote:
Ahh, Big Beat. This is the genre that finally made the homophobic frat house crowd finally accept that pussy electronic music at their Saturday night kegger parties. I mean, they still thought it was gay, but not as gay as that ♥♥♥♥♥♥ trance ♥♥♥♥. Its curious nickname, Amyl House, is apparently a localized term in the music's origin (England) named after the tendancy for youths to dance to the stuff while huffing amyl-nitrate. Poppers. Paint thinner. Leather polish. Yeah, sounds just like something frats would do, too. This was the spearpoint genre of the "electronica" wave of music, and when it took a nosedive, so did this.

Here, I'll show you some examples of "shitty music", because I'm a such a nice guy.

"C'RAP"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZOy6t1vVtE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGbIpCJnmc0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf74SP9o-GI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dGj9h8ggCc (More house than hip hop)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1_FDi7j3-E

I don't currently have any country albums in my collection... so yeah
I guess just look up Ween, Primal Scream, Elvis Costello's country stuff, and Wilco

Death Metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3eig5K3hdI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHBQwWCdwxI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9yRdllW6YA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT690X_AUG4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5tW9fekzJo

Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:46 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

For music I mostly listen to the soundtracks of games that I have enjoyed, like Mass Effect 2, Rogue Legacy and others. I'm looking forward to adding Europa Universalis IV to my collection of Paradox game soundtracks. They've actually got a real orchestra this time and it's gonna make the game all the better for it.

Someone in the comment's of that video describes it pretty well. "Andreas Waldetoft's music will play at my funeral, no matter how far in the future that is. "

Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Sothe wrote:
rap

yeah i dont care i still dont like rap

Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:38 pm
Profile WWW

This is a song with heavy metal kind of screaming stuff that I enjoy quite a bit.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:48 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Miggles wrote:
Sothe wrote:
rap

yeah i dont care i still dont like rap

I like the part where insults sell an argument,
Also, lyrics are part of a song, if I can't behind a song because its lyrics are so obnoxious, or odious, then I think it is my right as a person to express my dislike of it, and possibly try to avoid the song, artist, or entire genre because of its aggregate, or [if it's so bad] individual nature.

I too, can have a personal opinion, even when part of mainstream, when I dislike something, mainstream or not.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 21  Next