View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next
 General Music Discussion 

Post Re: General Music Discussion

Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:28 am
Profile WWW
Data Realms SUPER Elite
Data Realms SUPER Elite

I'd like it more if that guy didn't sing the way he does. It ain't bad, but I'm not into that whole sort of singing. Lyrics were interesting. Chord changes were really stiff.

Heard this at the bar I frequent. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

That one there is ♥♥♥♥ amazing. Different City is a song which I really liked already. I use it as my alarmclock when I really need to get up due to its start. I was trying to find it on youtube to show a friend when that was the only thing that came up. Loving bluegrass, I clicked on it. Really good stuff. I still like the original more, but that's because I hear it every morning bluuhhhhhh

Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:28 am

Baroness is pretty great. You've probably already heard of Kvelertak too. They have similar album artwork, and play black metal inspired hardcore punk.

I am listening to Silver & Gold, by Sufjan Stevens. A like ♥♥♥♥ three hour long Christmas song compilation. Joy to the world!

Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:57 am
Data Realms SUPER Elite
Data Realms SUPER Elite

Surprisingly enough, I know next to no hard rock/punky punk bands. The only non-jazz/whatever music I've really listened to is folk/folk rock/folk punk/anything that'd fit my state. When I worked in a bar, the bar played folk. When I worked in a restaurant, we listened to jazz.

I dunno. Just don't have all that much hard rock in my library.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:50 am

Oh. Heard of Sophisti-pop? It's a subgenre popular in the 80's, where it'd be really romantically themed synth pop/ new wave with a jazz and soul flavor.
It died during the 90's, but came back in the late 00s. Most people remember it through the groups Prefab Sprout and The Blue Nile

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:37 pm

SILLLLLLLLVER AND GOLD
SILLLLLLLLVER AND GOLD
SILLLLLLLLVER AND GOLD
SILLLLLLLLVER AND GOLD
SILLLLLLLLVER AND GOLD

silver and gollld...

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:51 pm
Profile WWW

I'm a Christmas Unicorn

Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:49 pm
Data Realms SUPER Elite
Data Realms SUPER Elite

Sothe wrote:
Oh. Heard of Sophisti-pop? It's a subgenre popular in the 80's, where it'd be really romantically themed synth pop/ new wave with a jazz and soul flavor.
It died during the 90's, but came back in the late 00s. Most people remember it through the groups Prefab Sprout and The Blue Nile

Yeah, I don't often listen to that sort of music, but I have a lot of friends who really love all those genres.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:52 am

What kind of Jazz gets played? Anything avant-garde or worthwhile? I'm not as into jazz relative to the rock and electronic music in my library; I still dabble a little bit in Zappa, Waits, and Bohren. Ironically I listen to more jazz-rap and jazz-punk.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:58 pm
Data Realms SUPER Elite
Data Realms SUPER Elite

When I was on shift I'd turn it over to any hot club/gypsy jazz/jazz manouche (Django Reinhardt & Stéphane Greppelli being the quintessential pair, but Pearl Django being my favorite manouche group - though youtube is frustratingly unhelpful in finding their music, I recommend the album Avalon, it has the song Avalon). There were a couple that always asked for the Dave Brubeck stuff (Mainly off the album Time Out, or Time Further Out), which is good but ultimately a bit overplayed. I do enjoy avantgarde, but in a restaurant that can't be played because most people don't. A lot of cool jazz when I didn't get to pick the music, which I also find a bit cliche.

Zappa and Waits are great, but saying they're jazz may be a bit of a stretch. There are really jazzy elements (And heck this is jazz,), but ultimately neither Frank nor Tom are jazz musicians (though they are avantgarde). Eh, that's just nitpicking. I'm not even one who cares about what category a certain music is, so sure it'll pass as jazz.

I don't know. Jazz Manouche was what my father listened too, and it's what we played in a band I was in for a little while (before realizing being in band doesn't make you cool - we were younger), so it's what I started with. Girshwin became my favorite ever since I first heard Rhapsody in Blue and An American in Paris, but that was also because I had just become American and was fascinated with that idea (Captain American has stayed my favorite superhero since then). Because I don't usually consider Girshwin jazz (just like I don't really consider Zappa jazz, even though for Girshwin it's even more so to the point where I don't have too much of a reason), I usually say this is my favorite jazz song of all time and not Rhapsody in Blue. Of course, when I remember how that song goes I prefer to say it's my straight out favorite song, but it takes forever for me to remember even the name. It's just got insane energy, so much so that the Woo-woos in Sympathy for the Devil seem bored.

As for that sort of thing, the sort of Jazz Rap and Jazz Punk (didn't know that existed, or more that that's what that was called), I don't really know all that much by name. I mean, a quick search of Jazz Rap on youtube brings up the sort of rap I do listen to (Which, as Kelas might be able to tell you, is Apollo Brown, The Left, J Dilla, Pharcyde - J Dilla remix btw and a really good song, that sort of thing.) Though I may be completely misunderstanding what jazz rap is, in which I ask you for examples cause that sounds cool. I also listen to quite a lot of french rap, which in some cases is close to what my search calls jazz rap. Frankly French music is generally terrible, but the amount of rhyming words means rap sounds cool. Although mostly a stoner band, this song is really good rap (lyrics are basically 99% occupy wallstreet stuff). I like this guy too, though I have no idea who he is and his videos only get <100 views on youtube. Does that make me überhipster? When hipster music has thousands of views, the rap I do listen to has so few that there's no reason for me to even know who it is? I don't am fond from that hip sirs.

Also Gil-Scott Heron is really good, but that's a precurser to jazz rap.

At this point I don't know if there's any reason to keep on going, but this is a general music discussion thread and I do have quite a bit to say about music.

For all the Jazz-Rap and Jazz-Punk there might be, there's a ton more Electric-Jazz (I don't know if people actually call it nujazz, but please don't because that sounds really really bad and isn't descriptive of what it is). I can't recommend any bands specifically because the genre is as large as regular jazz, seeing that it's just jazz with synths. Any sort of jazz subgenre that can't be replicated well on synths (say dixieland) is made up for with electric-jazz's own unique subgenres. I prefer the Electric Tango stuff because it sounds like gypsy jazz, but there's everything you could think of and it's mostly all decent (though I strongly suggest buying/dling single songs and not whole albums, because whole albums tend to give some really really bad music too. I'm looking at you, Palermo Nuevo, who has a great song, and then... uuughhhh.).

Any avantgarde I do often listening to isn't plain jazz, it's usually electric or rock versions of that sort of music. Although Goa isn't really minimalistic music (which I've found I've played when I've ever done actual drugs - that is excluding alcohol, weed, or the non-existent "effects" of absinthe), I've gone to a couple goa parties here in germany and the music is startlingly fantastic. There IS minimalistic electric, because that makes more sense than actual minimalistic (I mean, the only explenation why that didn't come first is that it was the wrong time period), and that's cool too, but I find it only good for programming and stuff chill stuff. If that's what you want, the "Music for Programming" sets, which are Business Funk and can be found on Datasette.net, I find are much better. It's good, but not my thing.

Eeck I wrote a lot

Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:37 pm

Zappas jazz-fusion, so not really traditional jazz. Tom Waits early stuff is closer to traditional jazz though, with his trademark blues style. Also if you want the same kind of music as goa, but minimalistic, you'd probably enjoy the psybient micro-genre. Acts like Shpongle, Younger Brother, their whole label.
A Tribe Called Quest is a good example of jazz-rap.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:11 am

I'd definitely say Busdriver has some things in common with Jazz.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:11 am
Data Realms SUPER Elite
Data Realms SUPER Elite

I know of a Tribe Called Quest.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:32 am

Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:15 pm
Profile WWW

http://rateyourmusic.com/~HUnewm
Like organizing music? Make an account on RYM so we can swap some tunes!
also pls add me as referral

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next