View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
 General Music Discussion 

Post General Music Discussion
There's a "favorite bands thread". I feel like this is more fitting for just saying anything about music, instead of favorite bands.
So I've been listening to new 2013 releases. Notable ones so far have been Comadre - Comadre, Circle Takes The Square - Decompositions: Volume 1, Villagers - {Awayland}, TTNG - 13.0.0.0.0, and Foxygen - We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors Of Peace & Magic.

Also some notable singles by David Bowie, Anamanaguchi, and The Knife.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:05 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post Re: General Music Discussion
I don't know music.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:24 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Sothe wrote:
Anamanaguchi

They make some sweet tunes for sure.

Any other good chipmusic composers anyone can recommend? I know of a few, though I don't consistantly like all their tracks ofc;
FantomenK, _ensnare_, DeadBeatBlast, Binärpilot, Malmen (& Joule), Smiletron, Trey Frey, Je Mappelle...

Last edited by Adriaan on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:36 pm

What about actual musical activities? I'm very close with music, it's the only hobby that's more important to me than gaming.

As for playing - my primary instrument is the electric bass, but I can also play the guitar, drums and keyboard. Maybe sing, too.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:47 pm

I got a guitar, a classic one, Michael VM21.
Been getting some nice experience with it, in 3 months without need for music school or anything like that, I already can play a bunch of songs.
Still, I want an electric one to play some of them. The one I most want to play is The Kids Aren't Alright, by Offspring.
Do you guys know any good songs that are easy to play?

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:57 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I play piano and write a lot of music, though I don't share it often. I listen to a wide range of music, from orchestral to videogame to classical to metal to ambient and J-pop and a fair few other things.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:20 pm
Forum Moderator

Lately I've been listening almost exclusively to bad music made by MLPFIM fans (Some is actually surprisingly good though). I could go for some real music, I'll be following this thread

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:23 pm

Lately I've been pretty lazy with my music finding. I've been listening to a lot of tracks uploaded by this music aggregator majesticcasual. A lot of pretty decent chillwave stuff in there.

I've also experienced a new found love for The Knocks.

Scrolling through the most recent additions to my playlist playlist there's a lot of She, Strange Talk, and Dragonette.

I also tuned up my guitar a few days ago and tried to remember the few things I used to be able to play. I can sort of do a half decent rendition of Kids by MGMT.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:05 pm

Adriaan wrote:
Sothe wrote:
Anamanaguchi

They make some sweet tunes for sure.

Any other good chipmusic composers anyone can recommend? I know of a few, though I don't consistantly like all their tracks ofc;
FantomenK, _ensnare_, DeadBeatBlast, Binärpilot, Malmen (& Joule), Smiletron, Trey Frey, Je Mappelle...

I used to be a big fan of Sabrepulse, they're pretty good at chiptune mashups. There's also this guy, Makeup & Vanity Set, who did a whole chiptune cover album of the Protomen Act 1: Hope Rides Alone.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:35 am
Data Realms SUPER Elite
Data Realms SUPER Elite

I've become a pretty big Avett brother's fan in late. Also I've aquired a lot of German music. Seeed is really good in there earlier albums. I have tried the newer ones, but I've been told they're not as good. I'll aquire some anyways.

Stadtaffe by Peter Fox is a really good album. I find it a little sad he went back to Seeed after that.

People say Cro sucks, but I can't see what's so wrong with him. Maybe it's just because he's supposed to be hipster even though he's complete mainstream, but even non-hipsters dislike him, so I dunno.

I talked to MC Fitti in a train station. I don't even listen to him, but he was pretty cool.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:41 pm

That's pretty interesting, meeting someone with that kind of recognition. The only musician I could probably meet around here is Sean Bonette, of Andrew Jackson Jihad.

I listened to the discography of The Knife last night, as well as their new single. Fever Ray taking a slight departure from the Bjork-esque sound.

An example of their performances

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:40 pm
Data Realms SUPER Elite
Data Realms SUPER Elite

I've met quite a few well-known musicians. My city gets a lot of ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ peoples in the cafes, and I hang around in cafes with ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ peoples a lot, so I know a couple.

I don't know if you've ever heard of her, but Grace Potter (and the Nocturnals) is one of them. I don't like her one bit, not the slightest bit, but I've met her. I don't really like her as a person either. I don't listen to her music, but this was the first song that came up. Song I met her because she comes from the state I lived in, and it's really easy to know everybody, and Waitsfield is about as small town america as it gets.

I don't know if you know of Stacey Kent (jazz singer) either, but I know her relatively personally. Not really as a friend, but I have really great friends who were best friends with her (hint they're much older than I am). Song I don't listen to her music too often either, but I actually enjoy it. It's just that I don't have enough of that genre to play it on my computer (because I like to have a lot of songs in a genre before I listen to the genre, don't ask me why)

I was walking around New York last year and I ran into the Roots. Got a picture with them on my phone, but my phone broke and I lost the picture because ♥♥♥♥ uploading pictures to my computer.

You should know the roots. Here's the first song that popped into my head from them song. They're amazing. Aside from being on Jimmy Falon (who I find to be a unfunny hack), they're good. Kelas especially I'd expect to know who they are.

I've gone to multiple Session Americana concerts. That doesn't sound like I know them, but a concert for them is showing up to a cafe and playing. Me being a cafe bum, I've been there a couple times. They're wicked cool dudes. I like them a whole ton also. I didn't talk to them too much, but I talked with them more than I did with MC Fitti. I just mentioned him because that was just 4 days or so ago.

I can't give any good quality music videos of them, but here's this

That's it for what I remember for well known. I know a whole slew of non-famous peoples, or peoples who should be famous but aren't. They don't count. If you don't think those above are famous, most of them have emmies if that means anything nowadays. At least they're recognized.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:31 pm

Grace Potter honestly doesn't seem like she would be the nicest or most funny person around in real life. Roots is pretty interesting, sucks that your picture didn't make it. Can't say I know Stacey Kent, since I rarely listen to female vocal jazz.

Emmies don't really mean anything in the first place. It's more like an evaluation of Top 40 music of the year. I think artists and groups getting positive reviews on Pitchfork is the real sign of recognition in the modern independent music scene. As much as I dislike a lot of Pitchfork reviewers, they still know what they're doing sometimes, and give equal opportunity for independent and mainstream artists. Yeah, never really cared for Emmies much.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:39 pm

February 18th I'm going to see Busdriver and Aesop Rock. It's gonna be rad.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:44 pm

Aesops most recent album was pretty great. Ever look up a song by him on Youtube? Gets filled with comments made by angry A$AP fans. I find it pretty funny.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 317 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next