View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Felines! 

Post Re: Felines!
Major wrote:
Vlads wrote:
Contrary wrote:
My cat imitates the sound of birds I guess to try to draw them in. She's white as snow though so I don't really know how effective stealth operations can be for her.

I've readed somewhere (Guess what; can't remember) that most animals does not sees colors, and that's why you can hunt with a purple jacket or a orange pant without getting spotted...As long as you don't move. :P

White is not a colour.

...So you don't see white things? That should be annoying.

Also, uploaded pics of my cat. He's fat dammit. x_x

Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:35 pm

A white object reflects all wavelengths of visible light. White light is light of all colours at once, white in art is any hue at 100% luminosity or how bright it is. The point being, if something is completely colour-blind, it would still see a white object plain as day.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:33 pm

Why are you arguing about color semantics? You should point out how uneducated Vlads is by the fact he thinks a lack of color (false) is in any way a distinct advantage against cats. (also false)

Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:19 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Cats are pretty coordinated, and have a high leap height, so even if the bird lifts off, the cat may yet still get the bird.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:33 am

this is actually a thread i can get behind. exotics, in case anyone was wondering, can be successfully kept as pets as long as the owner recognizes that they are not domestic and should not ever be treated as such.

anyways, my favorite feline, the african caracal:

Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:03 am

Sothe wrote:
Why are you arguing about color semantics? You should point out how uneducated Vlads is by the fact he thinks a lack of color (false) is in any way a distinct advantage against cats. (also false)

I think going to start ignoring your messages.

Veve wrote:
this is actually a thread i can get behind. exotics, in case anyone was wondering, can be successfully kept as pets as long as the owner recognizes that they are not domestic and should not ever be treated as such.

anyways, my favorite feline, the african caracal:

This one's a funny thingy! The body of a Puma with the ears of a Lynx. >:3

Servals are nice too.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:59 pm

Vlads wrote:
Sothe wrote:

I think going to start ignoring your messages.

Open up any biology book and it will tell you that color-blindness is not exclusively only seeing black and white. And use common sense. So even if they couldn't see color, don't you think they could see hunters silhouettes, movements, foreign objects, and supplies? And they're not entirely dependent on their sight either. They smell you and hear you far before you get anywhere near them. Ignoring me would not only be detrimental to your experience on DRL (I'm the best), but to your own learning process, as shutting yourself off from corrections, new ideas, and lectures are all sure ways to stay uninformed. You can go ahead and think I'm a jerk for calling you uneducated, but ignoring me will only make you seem more anti-intellectual (if it's possible).

Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:03 pm

Vlads wrote:

Servals are nice too.

yea! both caracals and servals are expert ambushers and pros at catching birds in mid-air. something i didnt realize until recently is how large they are, adult caracals can grow to the same size as small jackal species. i love jaguars too, just because theyre beautiful really, but as a bonus they eat a certain kind of root just for the hallucinogenic qualities and will roll around for hours in a high state of mind.

i think the most touching moment ive ever seen in any nature documentary was in "lions vs. hyenas: eternal enemies" or something to that effect. there was a mother lion who left her pride to give birth, only to have all of her cubs be bitten by a deadly cobra and devoured by hyenas. she was also bitten and was suffering from the venom, partially paralyzed and unable to think clearly, but after a week she eventually was able to return to her pride and led all the other females in a hunt. it was beautiful and i will admit to crying. nature is so dramatic and fascinating, id choose it over hollywood any day.

ps. on the subject of white animals/color blindness- to put it simply, animals that cannot see colour are still able to detect contrast. a white object will stand out against a dark setting. white animals have the advantage in an arctic setting where they blend in with the snow, but not in a dark forest. this is why arctic foxes have white winter coats to blend with the snow and brown summer coats to blend in with the dirt and foliage. this is also why, in the wild, mother tigers will kill any of their cubs that are born with a leucistic colour morph, because white animals simply have a harder time surviving in a dark locations.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:35 pm

Veve wrote:
Vlads wrote:

Servals are nice too.

yea! both caracals and servals are expert ambushers and pros at catching birds in mid-air. something i didnt realize until recently is how large they are, adult caracals can grow to the same size as small jackal species. i love jaguars too, just because theyre beautiful really, but as a bonus they eat a certain kind of root just for the hallucinogenic qualities and will roll around for hours in a high state of mind.

i think the most touching moment ive ever seen in any nature documentary was in "lions vs. hyenas: eternal enemies" or something to that effect. there was a mother lion who left her pride to give birth, only to have all of her cubs be bitten by a deadly cobra and devoured by hyenas. she was also bitten and was suffering from the venom, partially paralyzed and unable to think clearly, but after a week she eventually was able to return to her pride and led all the other females in a hunt. it was beautiful and i will admit to crying. nature is so dramatic and fascinating, id choose it over hollywood any day.

ps. on the subject of white animals/color blindness- to put it simply, animals that cannot see colour are still able to detect contrast. a white object will stand out against a dark setting. white animals have the advantage in an arctic setting where they blend in with the snow, but not in a dark forest. this is why arctic foxes have white winter coats to blend with the snow and brown summer coats to blend in with the dirt and foliage. this is also why, in the wild, mother tigers will kill any of their cubs that are born with a leucistic colour morph, because white animals simply have a harder time surviving in a dark locations.

Indeed nature is fascinating!

I've readed somewhere that in medieval age, Lynxes was nicknamed 'catwolves' due to their size and their feline features.

It's also the national animal of the Republic of Macedonia! It's on the coin!

Anyway, I should stop talking about Lynxes, dammit! What about tigers? They are wonderful animals aswell.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:19 am

Tigers are (probaly) the only Felines that like to swim in the Water.
Also, Siberian Tigers. Never have met one of them, though i lived in Siberia. :L

Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:54 pm

Notsoscary wrote:
Also, Siberian Tigers. Never have met one of them, though i lived in Siberia. :L

You forgot the second B at Probably. :>

And I've read that Lynxes swin aswell.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:58 pm

You forgot to spell correctly while correcting someone else's spelling.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:30 pm

Major wrote:

*chuckles silently*

Anyway, i didnt know that Kittens can roar loud too. Gave a small Piece of Sausage to her, he roared like a freakin Tiger.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:50 pm

Major wrote:

What stops me from correcting others even if I don't have a good grammar?

Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:33 pm

lets not make this a silly debate about grammatical errors please- let us all remember sometimes people just typo and its too late by the time they realize it.

Notsoscary wrote:

actually theres several domsticated breeds that enjoy water, such as turkish vans, maine coons, bengals, and even american shorthairs. most domestic cats can be accustomed to enjoying water as well, however usually its recommended that you start young. a breed known as the norwegian forest cat is somewhat well-known for their love of water. they were described as playing in water and fishing, they even have developed water-repelling fur.

for another wild example, fishing cats, as you can probably infer from the name, also enjoy being near water and are capable swimmers due to that they are fishers and rely mainly on that for their food.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next