View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:40 pm



Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Felines! 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:55 pm
Posts: 434
Location: Somewhere
Reply with quote
Post Re: Felines!
Major wrote:
Vlads wrote:
Contrary wrote:
My cat imitates the sound of birds I guess to try to draw them in. She's white as snow though so I don't really know how effective stealth operations can be for her.


I've readed somewhere (Guess what; can't remember) that most animals does not sees colors, and that's why you can hunt with a purple jacket or a orange pant without getting spotted...As long as you don't move. :P


White is not a colour.


...So you don't see white things? That should be annoying.

Also, uploaded pics of my cat. He's fat dammit. x_x

Image


Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:35 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:30 am
Posts: 853
Location: Auckland, NZ
Reply with quote
Post Re: Felines!
A white object reflects all wavelengths of visible light. White light is light of all colours at once, white in art is any hue at 100% luminosity or how bright it is. The point being, if something is completely colour-blind, it would still see a white object plain as day.


Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:33 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:34 am
Posts: 2034
Reply with quote
Post Re: Felines!
Why are you arguing about color semantics? You should point out how uneducated Vlads is by the fact he thinks a lack of color (false) is in any way a distinct advantage against cats. (also false)


Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:19 am
Profile
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:14 am
Posts: 3966
Location: Canadida
Reply with quote
Post Re: Felines!
Cats are pretty coordinated, and have a high leap height, so even if the bird lifts off, the cat may yet still get the bird.


Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:33 am
Profile

Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:23 am
Posts: 222
Reply with quote
Post Re: Felines!
this is actually a thread i can get behind. exotics, in case anyone was wondering, can be successfully kept as pets as long as the owner recognizes that they are not domestic and should not ever be treated as such.

anyways, my favorite feline, the african caracal:


Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:03 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:55 pm
Posts: 434
Location: Somewhere
Reply with quote
Post Re: Felines!
Sothe wrote:
Why are you arguing about color semantics? You should point out how uneducated Vlads is by the fact he thinks a lack of color (false) is in any way a distinct advantage against cats. (also false)


I think going to start ignoring your messages.

Veve wrote:
this is actually a thread i can get behind. exotics, in case anyone was wondering, can be successfully kept as pets as long as the owner recognizes that they are not domestic and should not ever be treated as such.

anyways, my favorite feline, the african caracal:


This one's a funny thingy! The body of a Puma with the ears of a Lynx. >:3

Servals are nice too.


Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:59 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:34 am
Posts: 2034
Reply with quote
Post Re: Felines!
Vlads wrote:
Sothe wrote:
Why are you arguing about color semantics? You should point out how uneducated Vlads is by the fact he thinks a lack of color (false) is in any way a distinct advantage against cats. (also false)


I think going to start ignoring your messages.

Open up any biology book and it will tell you that color-blindness is not exclusively only seeing black and white. And use common sense. So even if they couldn't see color, don't you think they could see hunters silhouettes, movements, foreign objects, and supplies? And they're not entirely dependent on their sight either. They smell you and hear you far before you get anywhere near them. Ignoring me would not only be detrimental to your experience on DRL (I'm the best), but to your own learning process, as shutting yourself off from corrections, new ideas, and lectures are all sure ways to stay uninformed. You can go ahead and think I'm a jerk for calling you uneducated, but ignoring me will only make you seem more anti-intellectual (if it's possible).


Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:03 pm
Profile

Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:23 am
Posts: 222
Reply with quote
Post Re: Felines!
Vlads wrote:
This one's a funny thingy! The body of a Puma with the ears of a Lynx. >:3

Servals are nice too.

yea! both caracals and servals are expert ambushers and pros at catching birds in mid-air. something i didnt realize until recently is how large they are, adult caracals can grow to the same size as small jackal species. i love jaguars too, just because theyre beautiful really, but as a bonus they eat a certain kind of root just for the hallucinogenic qualities and will roll around for hours in a high state of mind.

i think the most touching moment ive ever seen in any nature documentary was in "lions vs. hyenas: eternal enemies" or something to that effect. there was a mother lion who left her pride to give birth, only to have all of her cubs be bitten by a deadly cobra and devoured by hyenas. she was also bitten and was suffering from the venom, partially paralyzed and unable to think clearly, but after a week she eventually was able to return to her pride and led all the other females in a hunt. it was beautiful and i will admit to crying. nature is so dramatic and fascinating, id choose it over hollywood any day.


ps. on the subject of white animals/color blindness- to put it simply, animals that cannot see colour are still able to detect contrast. a white object will stand out against a dark setting. white animals have the advantage in an arctic setting where they blend in with the snow, but not in a dark forest. this is why arctic foxes have white winter coats to blend with the snow and brown summer coats to blend in with the dirt and foliage. this is also why, in the wild, mother tigers will kill any of their cubs that are born with a leucistic colour morph, because white animals simply have a harder time surviving in a dark locations.


Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:35 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:55 pm
Posts: 434
Location: Somewhere
Reply with quote
Post Re: Felines!
Veve wrote:
Vlads wrote:
This one's a funny thingy! The body of a Puma with the ears of a Lynx. >:3

Servals are nice too.

yea! both caracals and servals are expert ambushers and pros at catching birds in mid-air. something i didnt realize until recently is how large they are, adult caracals can grow to the same size as small jackal species. i love jaguars too, just because theyre beautiful really, but as a bonus they eat a certain kind of root just for the hallucinogenic qualities and will roll around for hours in a high state of mind.

i think the most touching moment ive ever seen in any nature documentary was in "lions vs. hyenas: eternal enemies" or something to that effect. there was a mother lion who left her pride to give birth, only to have all of her cubs be bitten by a deadly cobra and devoured by hyenas. she was also bitten and was suffering from the venom, partially paralyzed and unable to think clearly, but after a week she eventually was able to return to her pride and led all the other females in a hunt. it was beautiful and i will admit to crying. nature is so dramatic and fascinating, id choose it over hollywood any day.


ps. on the subject of white animals/color blindness- to put it simply, animals that cannot see colour are still able to detect contrast. a white object will stand out against a dark setting. white animals have the advantage in an arctic setting where they blend in with the snow, but not in a dark forest. this is why arctic foxes have white winter coats to blend with the snow and brown summer coats to blend in with the dirt and foliage. this is also why, in the wild, mother tigers will kill any of their cubs that are born with a leucistic colour morph, because white animals simply have a harder time surviving in a dark locations.


Indeed nature is fascinating!

I've readed somewhere that in medieval age, Lynxes was nicknamed 'catwolves' due to their size and their feline features.

It's also the national animal of the Republic of Macedonia! It's on the coin!

Image

Anyway, I should stop talking about Lynxes, dammit! What about tigers? They are wonderful animals aswell.


Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:19 am
Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:21 pm
Posts: 879
Location: Somewhere in Germany
Reply with quote
Post Re: Felines!
Tigers are (probaly) the only Felines that like to swim in the Water.
Also, Siberian Tigers. Never have met one of them, though i lived in Siberia. :L


Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:54 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:55 pm
Posts: 434
Location: Somewhere
Reply with quote
Post Re: Felines!
Notsoscary wrote:
Tigers are (probaly) the only Felines that like to swim in the Water.
Also, Siberian Tigers. Never have met one of them, though i lived in Siberia. :L


You forgot the second B at Probably. :>

And I've read that Lynxes swin aswell.


Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:58 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:30 am
Posts: 853
Location: Auckland, NZ
Reply with quote
Post Re: Felines!
You forgot to spell correctly while correcting someone else's spelling.


Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:30 pm
Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:21 pm
Posts: 879
Location: Somewhere in Germany
Reply with quote
Post Re: Felines!
Major wrote:
You forgot to spell correctly while correcting someone else's spelling.

*chuckles silently*

Anyway, i didnt know that Kittens can roar loud too. Gave a small Piece of Sausage to her, he roared like a freakin Tiger.


Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:50 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:55 pm
Posts: 434
Location: Somewhere
Reply with quote
Post Re: Felines!
Major wrote:
You forgot to spell correctly while correcting someone else's spelling.


What stops me from correcting others even if I don't have a good grammar?


Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:33 pm
Profile

Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:23 am
Posts: 222
Reply with quote
Post Re: Felines!
lets not make this a silly debate about grammatical errors please- let us all remember sometimes people just typo and its too late by the time they realize it.

Notsoscary wrote:
Tigers are (probaly) the only Felines that like to swim in the Water.
Also, Siberian Tigers. Never have met one of them, though i lived in Siberia. :L

actually theres several domsticated breeds that enjoy water, such as turkish vans, maine coons, bengals, and even american shorthairs. most domestic cats can be accustomed to enjoying water as well, however usually its recommended that you start young. a breed known as the norwegian forest cat is somewhat well-known for their love of water. they were described as playing in water and fishing, they even have developed water-repelling fur.

for another wild example, fishing cats, as you can probably infer from the name, also enjoy being near water and are capable swimmers due to that they are fishers and rely mainly on that for their food.


Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:45 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.
[ Time : 0.023s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off ]