View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Zen and the Art of Opposite Lock 

Post Zen and the Art of Opposite Lock
I AM TRASH LOL WHAT THE ♥♥♥♥

Last edited by Ociamarru on Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:53 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post Re: Zen and the Art of Opposite Lock
neat

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:20 am
Profile WWW

Ikr

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:27 am

Maybe it's the IJ quote coloring it, but this is up it's own ass real hard. Did you masturbate solely to pages of a thesaurus for a week before writing this?

In all seriousness, stop trying to use big words just to use them, stop cramming adjectives everywhere, write like you're talking to someone and not like you're trying to impress someone.

"And sitting before me was a beautiful mistake just begging for my rationality to give way to unabashed overconfidence."

This sentence hurts me. It is trying too hard. It's a thin veneer of trying-to-be-cerebral pasted over very little in the way of actual substance.

"Sitting before me was a beautiful mistake just begging to be made."

Isn't that just so much nicer to read than a sentence full of pointless polysyllables?

"I lay awake in bed, wondering if others feel even an inkling of the existential angst that drives me to search for understanding in an ineffably complicated world."

Yes. I was just as pretentious about it when I was a teenager, too. Thought it made me better than other people, same as you. Largely, it just makes you a lot more likely to suck your own ♥♥♥♥ about stuff other people do without really thinking about it.

"Logical argument means nothing to the Joes of the world."

Way to dehumanize an enormous portion of the world. God, those horrible "Joes" and their lack of logic, how dare they not be exposed to the same culture as I was and not have enjoyed the excess of free time I did. Those horrible, rotten Joes.

Kind of ♥♥♥♥ stupid to dehumanize and typify the proletariat and talk about white privilege in the same piece, doncha think bub?

Your reach exceeds your grasp. Get better at having an understanding of things before you try to write like you have a semblance of one. David Foster Wallace earned the right and ability to write the way he did by eating mountains of pain and books. Faking it is an ugly thing.

So is blatantly stealing your title. Where, exactly, did Zen fit into this story? Or did the book's title just sound cool to you so you ripped it off?

PS. The paragraph where you talk about "a fellow gearhead" is ♥♥♥♥ nauseating. Why the ♥♥♥♥ are you trying to explain thrill-seeking? That's like trying to explain being sorta hungry. Everyone already ♥♥♥♥ knows, you have nothing new, come back when you do. Preferably in a less pretentious envelope.

P.P.S. "To capture it in words I turn to Buddhism and the concept of dukkha: alternately translated as 'sorrow', 'pain', or 'unease'"

You have to translate something before you give an alternate translation. Also that is the most piss-poor explanation of dukkha I've ever read. Let's not reference the first noble truth or anything, let's not explain *why* these axioms we're throwing out are true, Mr. Searches-For-Meaning, let's just declare 'dukkha = it is human nature to experience suffering' and move right merrily along. Protip: Dukkha is suffering, not the concept that humans will inevitably experience suffering. You were describing the First Noble Truth and calling it dukkha. Listening to some Alan Watts on youtube doesn't mean you know ♥♥♥♥ about Buddhism, and you have thoroughly displayed that you don't know ♥♥♥♥ about Buddhism.

I only hate it so much because it reminds me of me, years ago.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:28 am

STILL TRASH I WILL ERASE IT FROM THE INTERNET THO

Last edited by Ociamarru on Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:34 am

Summary: An angsty kid gets upset with some far right republicans being clowns, acts all philosophical about it, and breaks some laws, and endangers his own life and the lives of others to make himself feel better.

Not awful, but too pretentiously delivered.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:39 am
Profile WWW

It's good for amateur writing and if someone submitted this for a class I would expect it to get good marks.

It's ♥♥♥♥. I explained why so you could examine my opinion and either use it or discard it after finding it not useful. You disregarded it entirely because it hurt your ego and posted to defend said ego. Using the opinion of an authority figure as a way to deflect, no less.

"Feel free to post something better"

Why, so I could have strangers say nice things to me and bolster my ego? I don't currently feel that need, and so I haven't posted things I've written in years. Sorry bub, you'll have to go digging if you want to compare clowns.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:41 am

THE LEVEL OF GARBAGE WAS HARD TO COMPREHEND OKAY I WAS LIKE A LITER AND A HALF DEEP INTO A BOTTLE WHEN I WROTE THIS ♥♥♥♥

Last edited by Ociamarru on Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:42 am

I AM LESS A PIECE OF ♥♥♥♥ THAN I WAS WHEN I WROTE THIS ORIGINAL COMMENT, AND I HOPE TO MAINTAIN THAT TRAJECTORY

Last edited by Ociamarru on Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:45 am

I live in the deep south, my father intends to vote for trump. Joe isn't as rare as you might imagine, and I promise you you have 0 understanding of Joe as a human being. You will never try, so assured are you about his lack of worth.

Maybe try using a thesaurus next time, it might help you use the words for which your reach exceeds your grasp a little better.

<+ComradePyro> this isn't typical liberal-academic substanceless masturbatory artless prose at all

ty for confirming the last remaining adjective (academic) in this theory for me

>But cant we all relate to the escape of it? I don't care if you shoot skeet or heroin or if you're a professional COD player, you still have that something to give your all to when life gets overwhelming. For me, that something is hooning the piss out o my car.

Notice in Infinite Jest DFW made a point of *not* glorifying the ♥♥♥♥ you glorified. Figure out why and you'll know why this is so distasteful and masturbatory. Go read the bit about why Gately dislikes NA and see if you can't see what he's talking about in your post.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:49 am

Joe sounds like a wonderful guy.

But good for you, having the privilege to go to college and finish your major. I'm sure you're chuffed about it. Just try not to stroke your own ego too hard.

No, I can't really relate to the escape of it. Self-harm and endangering your own life or especially others, including breaking the law, isn't something I try to engage in for catharsis. When I do, or anyone else does, it's a serious mental health issue. It shouldn't be taken for granted like it is here.

The main character, to me, seems more of a tragic kind, with a fatal flaw. Sort of like you might see in Shakespeare's plays. Not really relatable.

Last edited by CrazyMLC on Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:49 am
Profile WWW

GOOD GOD FIVE YEARS AGO I REALLY THOUGHT I WAS GONNA BE A PHYSICIST HUH AND IT MIGHT HAVE WORKED OUT IF I STOPPED DRINKING FOR A ♥♥♥♥ SECOND

Last edited by Ociamarru on Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:56 am

From here your ego seems to be bursting at the seams. While not the worse thing to have happen to you when drunk, I'd say to go sleep it off.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:59 am
Profile WWW

MY EGO WAS INDEED BURSTING AT THE SEEMS BECAUSE IT WAS INFLATED WITH A SWIMMING POOL OF ALCOHOL AND I'M SORRY

Last edited by Ociamarru on Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:07 am

Yeah dude, I don't have a driver's license, so I suppose I never will know.

I've talked like you before when I took too much of my ADHD medication. You start to feel like the center of the universe. That's why I say to go sleep it off, not because I'm trying to put you down.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:13 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next