View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Dirty Volume 

Location: A parallel universe lodged between the final recluses of time and space
Post Dirty Volume
I switched on my computer just now and before the login came up a thing came up saying some thing about file c and that the volume was dirty then it did verifying stuff(took about 11 mins) then restarted the computer and it was all normal no error box saying system recovering from serious error or anything along those lines. I have recently downloaded tales of pirates from a site with a green rating and good comments from mcafee site advisor.The zip folder is still in the c drive maybe thats what it is all about.

Just wondering if it was bad?

Thanks in advance to anyone who gives a real answer. :grin:

Thu May 31, 2007 9:24 pm

Obviously, there was dirt inside of your hard drive. The process that fixed it spun your hard drive to near light speeds, thus turning the dirt into nothingness flying through the universe.

Quote:
If a volume's dirty bit is set, this indicates that the file system may be in an inconsistent state. The dirty bit can be set because the volume is online and has outstanding changes, because changes were made to the volume and the computer shutdown before the changes were committed to disk, or because corruption was detected on the volume. If the dirty bit is set when the computer restarts, chkdsk runs to verify the consistency of the volume.

Every time Windows XP starts, Autochk.exe is called by the Kernel to scan all volumes to check if the volume dirty bit is set. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume.

Sounds like something Windows does when the file system becomes unstable.

Thu May 31, 2007 10:10 pm
Profile WWW

When was the last time you defragged and ran a scandisk?

Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:36 am
Profile WWW

If I were you I would just let it be, if the problem persists then I would delete that pirate game you got. If the problem still is there then try defragging your computer and scanning for viruses, even though I don't think you have one it's worth a shot. After that is done and it still happens try posting about it on your computer manufacturing companies website or at least contact them, or you could try seeing about your video card. I don't know but you could try.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:29 am
Profile WWW

As far as his report says, he shouldn't have ANY more problems with it.

The pirates game won't be the cause, it'll just be a coincedence. Besides, he said it only happened once, it's more than likely just some kind of maintenance that Windows decided to do.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:49 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]