View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Can't download a Thing 

Post Can't download a Thing
For some reason the internet explorer downloader, whenever it finishes a download it automatically closes the download window and deletes all the temporary downloaded files. I have checked multiple times to see if I have downloaded a certain mod, and I even unchecked the Automatically close this window when download finishes box.

I have Vista, Dial Up Internet, and my computer is around 1 month old. I have no clue as to why this happens.

Last edited by Ringwall on Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:25 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Post Re: Can't download a Thing
Vistaids AND dialup?

Holy god I pity you.

Are you choosing to save the file, and not just open it online?

Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:06 am

Yessuh.

Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:04 am

http://www.opera.com Try to open the installer?

Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:14 am

I already tried opening a .zip file and tried to open an installer, but it just shuts down whenever the download is finished. I think my computer is punishing me for safe mode deleting Symantec when it repeatedly told me to pay for a renewal, giving me no other option.

Oh yeah, I have also tried to use different browsers; AM/ Crazy Browser just won't go to any URL. I tried an external downloader (flashget) but when I tell it to download it with that nothing happens.

EDIT: Flashget used to work on this computer until yesterday, so it can't be that.

EDIT 2: I tried to set up to my schools network today, and suffice to say I couldn't use the internet there anyway. I know they have restrictions that don't let you download anything or go to unacceptable sites; could this have something to do with it? And if so, how could I reset my network connections? Also, just downloaded opera. Ran it and it closed. It doesn't sound that bad, but mix 5kbytes per second in.

Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:21 am

Try using Mozilla Firefox.

Sorry for not posting a link. It shouldn't be hard to google.

Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:35 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

3 solid wrote:
Try using Mozilla Firefox.

Sorry for not posting a link. It shouldn't be hard to google.

He can't download the installer.

Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:38 pm

internet explorer is bad. vista is worse. dail-up is horrible.

i dont know exactly how to help you otherwise, try rooting through the options, it might help.

Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:50 pm

CommanderCool wrote:
internet explorer is bad. vista is worse. dail-up is horrible.

i dont know exactly how to help you otherwise, try rooting through the options, it might help.

I have Vista. And use IE, and I've never had a problem. Don't hate kthxbai.

Dial-up is horrible though.

I wish I could help but it seems like this is a problem forever left to the Messiah of the internet.

Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:52 pm
Profile WWW

Try setting IE to save to desktop then Get Firefox and get better internet Dialup is the worst.

Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:50 am

Well I know that dial up is not the problem. It works fine, I can play WoW without lag, so it's not that bad, just kinda slow in browsing. And no, I can't download anywhere. My computer worked fine until I connected to a school network and the LAN cable probably infected my computer with it's ever so homosexual restrictions. If anyone knows how to get rid of these damn restrictions, that would be great. I'm going to try, against my hate for the school network, to reconnect and change the settings or whatever. If that doesn't work I'm getting XP. Vista really shouldn't come with computers until its right perfect.

Oh yes, and I cannot use any other program other than IE online. I managed to get opera via flash drive but it won't go to any sites; it thinks it's offline. Same with Crazy/AM browser.

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:13 am

Uninstall vista for the moment, and install ubuntu(Or kubuntu if you like things that look sexy). Google on how to do this, as I only booted it as a virtual machine.

Also ♥♥♥♥ opera. Of course it's not going to work for you. All the bloatware probably causes your connection do just /di when you try to go to a site. Use firefox. Flash drive. Etc.

Also, I'm not sure how it works in vista, but XP had a repair connection option in network connections, and disabling/enabling also helps sometimes. XP also had ipconfig release and ipconfig renew. Check if vista has that if the previous doesn't work.

Edit~ And what kind of dog ♥♥♥♥ is "Crazy/AM browser". Nobody uses crappy unheard of browsers. Be a man. Firefox. Etc.

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:24 am

Well, my brother actually has an XP disc, so I'd rather not download an OS at 50.4kbps. Also I safe mode deleted most of the bloatware. And repairing the network connection doesnt do anything. Sends a nice little message to Microsoft so they can laugh at your misfortune. I remade my internet connection; didn't help.

And, excuse me, did you call Crazy Browser 'dogshit'? Well, can you name a browser which blocks spyware, adware, dangerous ads on a page, better internal downloader than IE, and uses much better tab format? And I think I'd like to stay as a non conformist teenager atm.

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:40 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Quote:
And, excuse me, did you call Crazy Browser 'dogshit'? Well, can you name a browser which blocks spyware, adware, dangerous ads on a page, better internal downloader than IE, and uses much better tab format?

Yes.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

Also.
http://www.opera.com

Opera is not bloatware, Daman is a massive troll, and UR DOING IT RONG.

How could connecting to a school LAN magically import security settings onto your computer?

Your school probably routes all its traffic through a central server that has blocks on it.
Therefore, while directly connected to the school network, no, you wouldn't be able to do much.
But all you have to do is disconnect the LAN cable.

Why were you even connecting a personal computer to the school network anyways?

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:50 pm

Grif wrote:
Quote:
And, excuse me, did you call Crazy Browser 'dogshit'? Well, can you name a browser which blocks spyware, adware, dangerous ads on a page, better internal downloader than IE, and uses much better tab format?

Yes.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

Also.
http://www.opera.com

Opera is not bloatware, Daman is a massive troll, and UR DOING IT RONG.

How could connecting to a school LAN magically import security settings onto your computer?

Your school probably routes all its traffic through a central server that has blocks on it.
Therefore, while directly connected to the school network, no, you wouldn't be able to do much.
But all you have to do is disconnect the LAN cable.

Why were you even connecting a personal computer to the school network anyways?

Daman's not a troll, Opera suxes.

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next