View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Black Screen of Death 

Post Black Screen of Death
In skirmish on any map, I get a black screen. It doesn't load the map. And CC stops responding.

I click on "start" or whatever, and it stay black forever.

Help?
B23 btw.

Wed May 13, 2009 10:54 pm

Post Re: Black Screen of Death
Same here. Both my old and wip mod stopped functioning in the same way.
I ripped UniTec apart, ini by ini, line by line and finally found the 'problem'.
The presetname 'Mosin-Nagant', it somehow wasn't allowed? What the...?
I changed it to 'Mosin Nagant' and now it works. I'd like some info on this, devs.

Surely ' - ' is allowed in a presetname, since I have more of them.
(Interestingly enough this gun was also giving problems for mac users as I recall...)

Wed May 13, 2009 11:26 pm

That's... Retarded. They need to fix this ASAP.

Wed May 13, 2009 11:44 pm

I agree.
I found the bug in my new mod as well. Apparently the game doesn't like the PresetName Flamethrower (in this mod). When I change it to Flamer it works. -_-
Having a / in a PresetName gave me problems too.

This is horrid really. I heard more mods are having issues as well.

Thu May 14, 2009 12:02 am
happy carebear mom

It must be something in the water. All the mods I have tried work, though perhaps it depends on modding style, all the mods I tried were either mine or the sole Mod Contest entry.

Thu May 14, 2009 1:56 am

Apparently if you take all of the - marks out of InstanceNames/PresetNames, the mod(s) work.

Thu May 14, 2009 3:41 am

Hardly. I have many presetnames with a - in it which I didn't change and 'Flamethrower' didn't have one. :???:

I hope Data has been informed because this weird bug will cause lots of headaches for others sooner or later.

Thu May 14, 2009 6:37 am

Very, very strange.

I got this bug when I tried to run kloveska v2.1 on the dev version before b23 was even released. I'll look into it, Gotcha, although thats when I get home after about 6-8 hours.

I wild guess for now could be that... no. that cant be it.
I first thought CC doesnt like when there are several copies of a certain item in the game like Shotgun, Shotgun and Shotgun, but that cant be the case since there are already a couple shotguns and vanilla it works fine.

I'm gonna be using excluding method in solving the problem. Aka disable the the entire index.ini and enable portions of the mod and see if they load.

Another guess might be that the new palette is causing confusion.
I have no idea where the hell did it come from, but suddenly I found out that theres a slightly different palette found in some of the sprites.

This can have an impact too, since I remember this happening while I was making the new dummy weapons when the guns were out of palette and the game loaded them fine, but skirmish never started.

Anyways gtg now, brb later.

Thu May 14, 2009 8:27 am

numgun wrote:
I'm gonna be using excluding method in solving the problem. Aka disable the the entire index.ini and enable portions of the mod and see if they load.

I did the same thing with two mods last night. Not really a potential new hobby. :lol:

numgun wrote:
Another guess might be that the new palette is causing confusion.
I have no idea where the hell did it come from, but suddenly I found out that theres a slightly different palette found in some of the sprites.

This can have an impact too, since I remember this happening while I was making the new dummy weapons when the guns were out of palette and the game loaded them fine, but skirmish never started.

Pfew, I hope that won't be a future problem. A lot of the sprites in UniTec are in a slightly darker palette. (A beginner's mistake. :oops: )
The current thing I am working on doesn't have this problem though.

Anyway, you can use the link I've send you to replicate it. (E.g. change
PresetName = Mosin-Nagant (weapons.ini) to something else.) :)

Thu May 14, 2009 8:48 am

Hey Whitty,

I am pretty sure I know what the problem is.
I didn't notice until last night that long PresetNames are now being spread across multiple lines in the buy menu, and thus avoiding PresetNames blocking the price tag. Very nice indeed.

However, when I went to sleep it struck me.
Mosin-Nagant and Flamethrower are both pretty long names. Long enough for them to cover the price tag and thus a reason why the game would want to spread these names using more lines, which is probably being done whenever you're starting a skirmish/mission.

See where I am going to?
The game probably hangs because it tries to abbreviate these two PresetNames but can't find any space(s) to do so. Thus Flame Thrower and Mosin Nagant would work but long and single PresetNames would hang the game.

I can't try now, I am at work, but I bet if you would give a gun a presetname like "Whatchamacallit" or "Freesoupforeveryone" it'd hang the game.

Fri May 15, 2009 7:01 am

hey, Gotcha, i think you might be onto something, i'm gonna test this now with the jawzer.

Fri May 15, 2009 11:09 am
Profile YIM WWW

Yep, i have confirmed it :D its Long item names that should be spread across 2 lines that cause the blackscreen on skirmish, and - and / dont help to seperate the words you MUST USE SPACES...i think.

So say for example you had something called the 'Jawzerizeratoramajigga' you would get a black screen, but the 'Jawzer-izer-ator-ama-jigga' would also cause a black screen, BUT a 'Jawzer izer ator ama jigga' would be fine because the game can only seperate things into lines where the spaces are...

Fri May 15, 2009 11:20 am
Profile YIM WWW

Woooooow. Excellent detective work guys. That makes perfect sense.

Well, glad that's cleared up. Now we just have to wait for a fix.

Fri May 15, 2009 4:41 pm
Profile YIM

This is a silly bug, but oh well. Too lazy to fix all my mods manually so I'll wait for a fix too.

Fri May 15, 2009 9:15 pm

By the way, the slashes ("/") in PresetName's look a lot to me like a form of namespacing. It could be a good thing if you needed to differentiate between two modules (i.e. "Ronin/Soldier" instead of "Coalition/Soldier")

I found this out while trying to run content on the old engine, before I learned build 23 shipped with dependencies. *cough cough*

Fri May 15, 2009 9:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next