View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Screen stays black when I go to full screen 

Post Screen stays black when I go to full screen
Hi. I picked this game up back when Humble Indie Bundle 3 came out. I recently decided to try to get it to work. however, windowed mode is too small to be enjoyably played, and whenever I try to go to fullscreen the screen goes black and won't display anything until I return to windowed mode. The 2x window button in the graphics option does nothing, and changing resolution doesn't help either.

I am trying to play on an Alienware m17x R3 running 64-bit Windows 7. I have an i7 with 2.00 Ghz clockspeed, as well as an Nvidia Geforce 460M in an Optimus configuration (which I suspect is the source of my problem). I have tried setting Cortex Command to only use the integrated Intel HD Gfx chip, but that has not helped either. Any advice on how to get this to work would be much appreciated. If you need to know anymore about my hardware setup etc. just ask.

Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:01 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Post Re: Screen stays black when I go to full screen
That sounds like video card shenanigans to me. I don't think I've heard of this problem before. My 2X button did break for a time, but that was when I switched to ATI video cards. Have you tried updating your video drivers?
Also, for a while, I was having an issue with several games that would open in fullscreen, stay black, and lock up my computer. I later realized my anti-virus program was temporarily suspending the application until I approved it, leaving it in a permanent limbo state since it couldn't exit. Maybe this is a similar problem?

Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:11 am
Profile WWW

Hello,

Just bought the game and I have the exact same problem. I've no other problem with any other games, and I have up to date drivers for my Geforce GT 525M.

Any thoughts?

Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:10 pm

Try changing the resolution so it matches your screen's display ratio before going full-window.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:19 am

I have tried that, can't start the game in the same/similar resolution as my screen.

It comes up with an error message that says:

"unable to set up specified graphics mode because: Unable to find a suitable graphics driver"

"Now trying default VGA" and loads (fully) in 640x480 VGA.

Other resolutions simply say "resolution not supported". The 2X window button doesn't work either.

Thanks for your help, it's not the worst problem in the world but it would really help me to enjoy this fantastic game more to get fullscreen working.

I've had a look around the forums as well, can't seem to find anything that would help.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:58 am

You can Change the it to Full Screen without hitting the hotkey just drag the window like you with anyother on Windows, Hope that helps never heard of that issue before.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:48 am

I can't resize the window at all. Strange stuff.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:41 pm

Anyone else have any ideas?
I've messed with the Settings.ini and tried every resolution and nothing's clicked.

Thanks for your help!

Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:37 pm

Same problem, running windows 7, 64 bit, great graphics card. No idea what to do. If it helps, when I try to set my actual resolution (1600 by 900) it says something about needing to revert to vga, and the only resolutions that work are the 1250 by something xge setting and all of the vga settings (pretty much exactly what Average Ninja said). At this point, my thought is that it's either a windows 7 64 bit problem, or something with the graphics card (hence the vga/xge thing).

Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:15 pm

Is anybody getting on this?

Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:52 am

Hey there all, I'm having the a similar problem. I can't set fullscreen on any resolution (when I try I see black though I can hear my mouse as it runs over the star menu options). I've tried the 640x480, 1024x768 and my screen resolution 1366x768. I've also tried editing the settings.ini to start fullscreen vs. ctrl+tab to toggle. PS I can't use any windowed resolution other than 640x480 on either video card.

Intel i7 64-bit
NVIDIA GT 540M / Intel Integrated
Windows 7 Ultimate

Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:48 pm

Hey y'all, DataRealms has a solution (imperfect, but does the trick):

"Hi, is this a laptop? We recently had an issue with NVidia’s Optimus technology when running cc in fullscreen.. the only thing that seemed to fix it was to in the BIOS of the computer, set the graphics optionss to only use “Discrete graphics”, and not Optimus, which switches between the integrated Intel GPU and Nvidia’s discrete GPU. Only doing the setting in the OS, in Nvidias drivers, trying to force it to use discrete for the CC.exe didn’t seem to help the situation unfortuntately.

This is not an ideal solution, but it does work.. if we find a better solution, we will let you know! If you figure out a fix, let us know :)
- D"

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:22 pm

I know this is an old post, but I was having the same problem, and found a better solution. Still not exactly perfect, but it works very well. Go to the base.rte folder, open the settings, and set the resolution to few pixels below your native screen resolution(This might take a few tries to get right, since if it is too close it defaults to vga thing). Then, download this, and follow the directions. The reason it's not perfect is a small black bar on the side and bottom, but this is because you can't set it all the way at your native resolution. I tried using the program in the links resize, but it didn't work. It's a minor problem, but I would still prefer proper fullscreen.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:22 pm

Sorry, old topic, but I am also experiencing this issue. The solutions work, but are a pain to do. As others have said, a working full-screen mode would be nice. :)

Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:14 pm

Try running as administrator.
Back in the day, on my old computer,
I manage to get mine working on my windows 7 x86 laptop, with full-screen.
However I find that it's quite slow to sharpaim due to the resolution.

That's all I can suggest. :I

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next