View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 A Plea For Help... 

Post A Plea For Help...
I've been encountering a hugely, massively annoying bug that I can't figure out for *anything*. It's making the game completely unplayable for me right now. If anyone can offer any sort of insight into the issue that would be amazing. Tried both google and forum search to no avail.

I'm trying to play Skirmish mode and make a big fortress to defend for myself, but every time I finish all my preparation and hit start no enemy units spawn whatsoever. There are no dropships, no win/loss screen... nothing. The game just sits there like it's waiting for something to happen.

The huge qualifier to this problem is, any time I create a new game to try to figure out the problem and just ♥♥♥♥ around, units spawn just like normal. I even tried sitting there and letting the game idle for a bit thinking that perhaps when you take too long in preparation phase it bugs... but STILL units spawned like normal. Back to making a cool fortress... no units.

Things I've tried:
Letting the game idle.
Trying out each individual piece that I was using to see if it was somehow bugging the scenario. No avail.

Specs:
*Cortex Command B26 (Mac)
*1 mod: MaximDude Corp (I've tried using/not using parts from this mod to see if it's having an effect... no apparent relationship)
*I also altered the Skirmish Activities.ini file to try to give myself unlimited gold, before learning this doesn't work anymore. This shouldn't change spawn rate, and nothing else in the file was changed.

*Unibody Aluminum Macbook from '09
*Mac OS 10.5.8

Note: the only possible thing I could think that could be effecting things is that maybe when I opened the Skirmish Activities.ini with TextEdit it somehow changed part of the file. This still doesn't explain why it's only bugging when I work really hard on something. This is unbelievably frustrating since it only happens when I sink 30 mins of my time into working on a level.

Thu May 03, 2012 8:15 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post Re: A Plea For Help...
Are you putting your cool fortress full of units? If I recall correctly, if the MOID amount goes to something around 256, the game stops spawning more units to prevent random exploding of existing units. My memories could be incorrect, too, but just something from the top of my head.

Thu May 03, 2012 8:17 pm

I'd bet my right foot that you're right, Natti.

Thu May 03, 2012 8:29 pm

I might have 40 units tops when I'm done, nothing close to 250 =\

Thu May 03, 2012 9:44 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

MOID is not an unit. An actor has many MOIDs, 6, if I recall correctly. Arms + legs + torso + head.

Thu May 03, 2012 9:55 pm

Oh I understand... so the individual pieces that the CPU has to cover the physics for.

That may be it- does anyone know if the turrets from the mod I posted above have an unusual amount of MOIDS? They're mostly the units I've been using. I'm going to try this out in a bit, thanks. Is there an .ini I can edit to remove this? I'm sure it's hard on the CPU but I'd love to give it a try.

EDITed for clarity.

Thu May 03, 2012 10:32 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

As far as I know, you can change the limit, but it'll just allow the AI to spawn troops over the MOID limit, which results in old MOIDs getting gibbed.
The turrets should have 2 MOIDs, if I remember correctly. I might be wrong, though. 40 actors is still much more than the game is designed for.

Thu May 03, 2012 10:56 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

You can tone down the MOID limit, but not increase it. It and the maximum speed are two engine constants.

Thu May 03, 2012 11:05 pm

Thanks all, that certainly appears to be the problem.

Also wondering if you can increase the spawn rate of the enemy troops? Even on nuts I'm not having much of a challenge at the moment. Also gonna ask moderators to erase this topic just to unclutter the forums. Thanks again for the responses.

Fri May 04, 2012 1:42 am
happy carebear mom

No reason to erase a perfectly useful topic, someone might have the same problem and come upon it.

Fri May 04, 2012 2:17 am

Fair enough =P

Fri May 04, 2012 2:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]