View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Strange graphics crash in B27? Whole computer freezing. 

Post Strange graphics crash in B27? Whole computer freezing.
I'm getting a weird graphical crash in CC B27.
I played it last night for a few hours no problem, but then this morning every time I run it, half way through loading the game, it freezes and fills both my monitors with lines full of random pixel colors, and then the screens turn sort of half blue and the whole computer locks up and freezes and the only thing I can do is hold in the button to hard reset. Nothing is overheating according to my temperature monitor. It never happens at any time besides when I am loading or in within Cortex Command, no where else.

I have a Geforce 275 with the latest drivers, and Windows 7, if that matters. Does anyone else experience this?

Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:31 am

Post Re: Strange graphics crash in B27? Whole computer freezing.
I get something similar; after the data realms logo my screen goes black (indication that my graphics card has locked up and Windows attempted to recover the graphics card).

Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
AMD Radeon HD 6870
Intel i5-750 (4 cores)

Have to reset my computer manually.

EDIT: Just thought I'd ask, see if you can launch the game in software mode.

In Base.rte there is a text file called "AllergoConfig" open that and find "gfx_card" set it to DXSO. I managed to lauch the game that way. Note though, it uses your CPU to process graphics so it'll be very slow when playing the game unless you have the resolution set to small number (ie. 640 x 480)

EDIT2: Managed to make the game crash in software mode by setting the resolution to 800x600, though the crash came slightly after the usual crash point. I'm going to investigate a little bit more (I might have accidentally triggered fullscreen when my mouse cursor disappeared).

Last edited by Zuriki on Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:44 pm

Sounds like you both have some severe hardware issues with your videocards.
It doesn't have to be really, really hot to get broken.

Based on a hunch, what I'd do is open up your pc and clean your videocards of dust, very thoroughly.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:53 pm

Definitely nothing wrong with my GPU. If I had hardware issues, this would be an issue that plagues other games I play, it also wouldn't crash at one particular spot, this is definitely a programming issue either compatibility problems with hardware or software.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:21 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

CC doesn't use your GPU anyways, so I doubt it's that.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:35 pm

Either way, it's caused by any resolution above 640x480 for me, this hasn't happened with any prior builds of the game.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:37 pm

Still getting this issue. Absolutely no resolution above 640x480 works without crashing my computer completely.

Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:40 am

Natti wrote:
CC doesn't use your GPU anyways, so I doubt it's that.

Your videocard is always used and when weird stuff starts appearing on your screen (followed by crashes) I would bet both my kidneys that it's the videocard that is causing it.

I had a 8800GT that broke down on me. Only showed Windows in 640x480. Any other resolution crashed Windows.
Changed videocard: Problem solved.
Now I dunno how a videocard gets 'partially broken', but it does seem to happen. Windows 7 detected a problem with the card and started to use alternate, basic drivers as a workaround.

Edit: What about running other games at higher resolutions? Do they still work?

Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:10 am

I have the same problem with the graphics going wonky/corrupted, followed by the whole computer freezing up. I did update my card's driver (301.42) and now the problem occurs sooner. I was watching the temp of my cpu & card; the card was cool and I've run it much hotter playing minecraft.

While I can't speak for others, I don't think my case is a bad video card as I can play a variety of games at high resolutions and a variety of settings. (Skyrim, any Valve game, Supreme Commander 1&2, plus more) For Civ 5, I did see "tearing" of the graphics and the little animation areas getting stuck on the screen. Also, for Starcraft 2, I had to use a much older driver (196) due to similar graphical issues.

My specs:

Intel Duo Core E8400 2.00Ghz
4GB of Ram
Windows 7 Pro, 64bit
BFG GeForce 8800 GT

Hmmmmm, while looking into the details of my card it states that it supports DirectX 10. Can a video card have compatibility issues with DirectX 11?

Edit: I was able to get the game working for a few scenarios by turning on compatibility mode and selecting Windows XP (Service Pack 3). Why this works? *shrugs* Maybe it has to do with a DirectX thing.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]