View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Lua 
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Post Re: Lua
Lua adds LOGIC, rather than variables. While there are a few variables involved with logic, mostly the "variables" involved will be the same ones you set with .inis; CC settings that can be changed by the Lua running the background.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:34 pm

Also, since Data claims that Lua will allow us to mess with the input and stuff, we should set some standards for which buttons do what, so people aren't making a whole bunch of buttons do the same thing.

Example:

wasd - default
ghjk - default
q/e - default
f - Weapon special functions (If people add, say, toggling fire modes. They should only use "f" for that.)

Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:31 pm

Location: Behind a DarKlone, trying to pierce its fudging armor!
Or f= flamethrower attachment

Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:52 pm

What? No, Ppkismada. What a stupid suggestion.

And anyway a flamethrower attachment would be an alternate fire mode anyway.

Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:54 pm

This I know, just being silly.

I agree with Lord Tim on his point though; a standard would make things easier on the people using mods, and in some cases the modmakers.

Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:09 pm

I wonder if there would be a way to add things to the controls settings...

Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:15 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

With logic ( Lua ) , then yes?

Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:21 am

Foa wrote:
With logic ( Lua ) , then yes?

That has nothing to do with it.

But Data did say that he would expose the input control of the actual game. So yes.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:15 pm

I thought all the custom content I saw now was amazing, I can only imagine what cortex command will be capable of a month or two after build 21 is released.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:17 pm

ppiksmada wrote:
I thought all the custom content I saw now was amazing, I can only imagine what cortex command will be capable of a month or two after build 21 is released.

Data wrote:
At first, it will only handle game logic for scenes, so scenarios and events during missions can easily be set up in external script files and not be hardcoded.

Painfully little. If i've been paying as much attention to this as I think I have, Data has only spoken of (not just in the above quote, in most everything Lua related) being able to create scenes with Lua and use the in-game console.

So you could create, "portals" in a scene, but not a, "portal gun". Because apparantly weapons and actorswon't be Lua-scripted untill later builds. The closest you could get to a, "portal gun" is having a terrain in a map that reacts to the gun's round's material. There would be nothing special about the gun, it wouldn't work in grasslands.

Unless of course Data decides to implement weapon and actor scripting in Build 21 between now and the release, which he hasn't actually said anything about.

Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:43 pm

It's starting to feel like electric cars will dominate the roads before build 21 becomes available; or maybe those VTOL car-jet things.

I'm really anxious about scene scripting, that's the main feature that will make CC modding fun.

Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:22 pm
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Theaveragejoe, you haven't been on IRC.

1 he's been planning to add Lua scripting to everything since he first talked about it. Literally a week after saying it would only be on scenes, he was in IRC saying "but eventually it will be on everything, it's just so goddamn powerful".

2 he changed his mind on what he would include in build 21. I think you can imagine based on the fact that it's been six months since he last released a game update that the next one should be pretty goddamn cool.

3 he's said on irc explicitly that build 21 would feature weapon and actor behavior scripting.

Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:28 pm

Grif wrote:
"but eventually it will be on everything, it's just so goddamn powerful".

BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL
Kay so Tim decided to warn me for the post but didn't remove the content. Seems like he was just doing his job and didn't feel it deserved a warning. Upholding a rule for the simple sake of it being a rule = bad.
Of course this is NULL AND VOID should I be wrong.

Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:31 am
Profile WWW

Grif wrote:
Theaveragejoe, you haven't been on IRC.

1 he's been planning to add Lua scripting to everything since he first talked about it. Literally a week after saying it would only be on scenes, he was in IRC saying "but eventually it will be on everything, it's just so goddamn powerful".

2 he changed his mind on what he would include in build 21. I think you can imagine based on the fact that it's been six months since he last released a game update that the next one should be pretty goddamn cool.

3 he's said on irc explicitly that build 21 would feature weapon and actor behavior scripting.

More like he hasn't red the Devlog because it explictly says in the devlog he is integrating almost everything with Lua thanks to some russian company.

Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:32 pm

Devlog wrote:
Thanks to the Swedish geniuses at Rasterbar (recommended to us by Klei), we have managed to expose almost all of our internal classes and interfaces to the Lua environment now running in the system. This will eventually mean that some of you will literally be able to create entire new games with the Cortex Command engine by writing elaborate Lua scripts in addition to the content mods and addons you have been limited to so far.

Next time you talk about what Data is doing, try reading what he is actually doing.

Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next