View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ideas for lua mods. 

Post Ideas for lua mods.
Well, I want to hear people's Ideas and opinions on what they think they would like to make/see. I, personally am pretty crap at modding, but I have a few ideas for lua modding, for example:

Multiple fire modes: This one is self explanatory and would probably be fairly simple, press a button change to a different type of ammo.

Different kinds of damage: lets see, poison ammo that gradually takes health or paralyzes or something like that, also actual fire would be pretty cool too.

Mind control: Maybe a gun that you point at an enemy that you can then control or convert to your team.

Actors with built in weapons: lets see... Like a wrist blades or a shoulder cannon or something like that, like predator.

Lock on system: An actual lock on system that assists aiming, maybe as an attachable. It would be pretty cool to have super accurate and quick AI opponents and then you destroy their Lock on device thing and then they cant shoot for poop!

Like I said I don't know much about lua so I don't know if that is all possible so don't post saying "are you retarded, you cant do that with lua!", also I think that pretty much anything IS possible - as proved by Garry's mod.

DON'T MAKE 'EM THEY'S MY FECKIN' IDEAS

Last edited by xtortion1980 on Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:30 pm

Post Re: Ideas for lua mods.
viewforum.php?f=73

^ That's a more appropriate place to post this; the build's not out yet.

Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:32 pm

Hmm, It seems so. If a mod see's this I request a move to the lua section please.

Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:20 pm
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Hey guys believe it or not 99 times out of 100 modders are capable of generating their own ideas.

We also don't exist purely to create your fantasy, despite the thinly veiled purpose of this thread.

Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:53 am

Well then, I dedicate this to the retarded 1%. :grin:
Also seriously, I don't care if people make this stuff or not.
If I want to request I'll make a request thread, I'm just stating my ideas.
I apologize if it seems differently.

Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:10 am

It's not done yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5-Lo0EjztM

Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:18 pm

:shock: Very cool, Tim. I take it that this only works with actors (not terrain damage)?

Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:46 am

It's not done yet.

Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:50 am

Well, as long as Grif thinks it's okay...

I think it would be cool to implement cutscenes, pre-animated in whatever fashion you want (like the intro-sequence to the game with whatever images/animation you want) to play in the middle of a mission, when an objective is accomplished or when the tides turn or something. Something that can add narrative to a mission and change the game in the middle of it.

a pre-made bunker-module (or collection of bunker modules) that you can buy and place wherever you want, like a base-building system that can be accessed in game (that is not as detailed or nuanced as the current scene-making interface). Like a tower, a machine-gun nest or a trench. It would be about twice as much as it would cost to arrange the bunker tiles before the mission began. Sort of a last-ditch effort to re-fortify a position.

A building you can go inside that will actually gib and collapse, like a door, if hit with enough force or if enough damage in incurred.

Factories that produce robots or cloning vats that produce clones, so that dropships and pods aren't the only method to get troops onto a battlefield. These could be bought from the same menu as the previous idea. It would have to be super expensive and sort of an endgame technology. Also the troops would be marked up, because you pay for the security of not opening oneself up to AA fire.

Now, these sound like i want to see cortex command do things that mimic generic RTS games. What i'm going for here is to expand the types of gameplay that can happen. Putting these play-style dynamics in the context of the CC engine would be really cool, in conjunction with the "traditional" style of play.

In the same vein as the time-rewinder: an actor that can actually repair bunker modules to their original glory, with a weapon that is the opposite of a digger. Keep your base as fresh and tidy as when you built it!

Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:15 am
Profile WWW

Allen wrote:
A building you can go inside that will actually gib and collapse, like a door, if hit with enough force or if enough damage in incurred.
Factories that produce robots or cloning vats that produce clones, so that dropships and pods aren't the only method to get troops onto a battlefield.

I was working on a destructible "door bunker," but I got sidetracked on the Mod Archive. It is a great idea, IMO. Also, there was a mod called "clone farm" that was a "vat" that produces underdeveloped but fully-capable clones. You can still get it here.

Ontopic: I would like to see a zero-g area, if it's possible. I know absolutely nothing about lua, but I guess I'll try to learn it since it's the future of CC.

Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:06 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I'm making a base with directives, go to the Control Panel, and it releases enemies, and populates the defense points ( Access, and Exit via teleporters ) , and Base alarms if the Enemy reinforcements ( Once you go to the Control Panel ) enter and go through to the Brain.

But with fear of crashing the game, I'll just practice Lua on The Underside.

Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:17 pm

Had an idea for a scene that i offered to a modder, but it didn't fit into the mod at large. I guess this is as good a place as any. If it's not then sorry, but it applies to this discussion. it's undead-themed.

I guess this is an amalgamation of the things i suggested. sort of a way in which a lot this stuff could be applied.

Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:07 am
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Allen wrote:
Had an idea for a scene that i offered to a modder, but it didn't fit into the mod at large. I guess this is as good a place as any. If it's not then sorry, but it applies to this discussion. it's undead-themed.

[img]Campaign(/img]

I guess this is an amalgamation of the things i suggested. sort of a way in which a lot this stuff could be applied.

How about the Amalgamation is part of the Mother Brain, infection, mutation, outbreak, and quarintine.

Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:29 am

@ Foa: i don't follow.

I: A dropship that is a pre-fabricated structure that does not explode. a bunker/drop-pod, essentially. This can probably be done with or without Lua already, but it might be a fun little one-mission dynamic. It would be like a small tower with a roof that pounds itself into the ground and becomes terrain after it settles, complete with entrances, exits and places through which to fire.

I see the application of this being sort of entertaining. You are given one minute and an amount of gold to build a base using this on uneven terrain. since the buildings are physics-sensitive until they become terrain, you will end up with a funny-looking "garden" of buildings with no right angles. You have to completely set up your bunker within a time limit and roll with your own mistakes once the enemies start pouring in around you. You have to fortify a base "design" that was hasty and fraught with error.

I see a tower that accidentally hit a rock or a tree or something on the way down, so now it's more of a raised step, laying parallel to the ground, or an HQ style bunker that ended up hitting the ground a little tilted, like a beached submarine. It plays to the uncertain nature of CC in general, how nothing is predictable and no game goes the way you really want it to from the beginning. It taps into that idea of forgetting all your plans and just reacting, which is something i love about this game.

II: The Old Bunker Labrynth

A scene in which a small group of people must navigate from the top of an abandoned bunker complex down to the bottom, with many pitfalls along the way.
Zones could be demarcated where if a weapon is fired, a cave-in will happen and you will have to run or be buried, or there could be areas of unstable ground that will disappear under the feet of people walking there. Traps set by the original architects to keep the secrets of the bunker safe from outsiders. Treasure that one must bring up to the surface. Some black terror waiting for the unsuspecting team of spelunkers. I dunno, it's an idea that CC lends itself to, and one that can probably be accomplished in Lua now.

III: Scene X, parts 1,2,3,etc.
A scene where, once one objective is completed, you win and you go onto the next stage, which is the same exact scene at a later time, possibly populated by more people or something.
example:
Scene X part 1: you must kill everyone in a base and move your brain into it
MISSION COMPLETE!
Scene X part 2: you must re-fortify the enemy base and prepare for the first wave of enemies. you start out with twice the number of troops you ended part 1 with, and twice the funds. A passage of time is shown.
MISSION COMPLETE!
Scene X part 3: wave after wave of counter attackers come from new directions. map changes dimensions while keeping everything you've done to it the same, recognizable from the previous parts. while some areas are subtracted, other areas are added on the other side of the X-axis, to give you fresh terrain to pock-mark and burn while leaving evidence of the first 2 stages.
MISSION COMPLETE!
Scene X Part 4: Last stand. you are shown all of the map and must get your brain to some new area before the bombs begin to fall.

This is just a really generic and vague example and i don't know if Lua or the engine will allow for it, but the general idea is having a scene that is only possible to render after seeing what you did to the previous scene. A sequence of scenes that you add and subtract to as you (the player) progress through them.

This could also be done by just triggering a shift in the center point of a view of a very long scene. at first we can only act within boundaries encompassing a third of the scene, then once we complete an objective, the focus shifts to a different area we can operate within. They wouldn't have to be separate scenes that way, just context-sensitive cues that will move "the camera" in that way: expanding, cropping, or shifting the field of play on a very large potential-play area.

Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:25 pm
Profile WWW

Allen, that first Idea of yours sounds fun.

Try making it in the bunker editor, and I'll see if I can add a splash of Lua to it.

Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next