View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Scene Idea, unfortunately I know no Lua. :( Help please? 

Post Scene Idea, unfortunately I know no Lua. :( Help please?
Hey, I recently downloaded B22 and nothing really works on this forum with it yet (well the specific things that I was interested in anyways) and I got an idea for a scene using Lua. The only problem is I don't know any Lua, and it's kinda hard to find noob-friendly topics that can help me learn. I don't mean Lua in general I mean more specifically for Cortex Command.

So I thought maybe instead of requesting it, I could give an idea of what my scene is like and ask for some help so I can learn and do this on my own. Therefore actually accomplishing something and not just begging someone to make I scene I had an idea for. Although I'll have to learn from scratch because I know nothing in Lua. The two things that inspired me of this was the Zombie Generator and Blue Bomb generator in the zombie mission.

My idea thus far:
What I was planning on doing was a map based around first-person shooters. Except in this case it's a sidescroller. It would have respawn points for your character and weapon spawns. Although it would only respawn your character say 5 seconds after your death with a starter weapon, and in one of several spawn areas. Weapons would spawn in their own specific areas but only say 15 seconds after it was picked up, as well as no actor being in the spawn area. This means I have to disable the Buy Menu. Then replace things like funds with a Kill counter for both teams, and a Timer for the match.

Now instead of programming an AI to run around pick-up items and shoot you (if you were to play singleplayer) I instead came up with 2 ways to simplify this. 1) Have each player's actor as the Brain Bot (dunno what it's really called) from the Zombie Mission. I'm not sure if this will work, but you might be able to make the other person 'un-lose'* when respawning. 2) Have the AI start with a random non-starter weapon. So I'd need it to check if the actor was owned by a Human or AI (not team colour, because this would run for both teams just in case someone preferred to play as green).

*What I mean by 'un-lose' is that normally when you die (brain specifically) it shows DEAD on your screen and then the game ends. But in this case I would want the DEAD and WIN (or is it 'VICTORY'?) to be used differently. When you kill the person it would show WIN, and when you die it shows DEAD, and then someone respawns and then the messages goes away. To bluntly show who got the kill.

So, help is greatly appreciated on my journey to learn Lua for Cortex Command. That, and I really want to see a scene like this, and I'd feel much better if I learned how to and made it myself. Instead of just going, "Hmm... Download this, and this, and this, and ..."

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:48 pm

Location: outside the shithole called the University in the Forest
Post Re: Scene Idea, unfortunately I know no Lua. :( Help please?
I think that numgun was working on something along these lines a while back; it would be like a traditional deathmatch type thing.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:20 pm

Well it pretty simple. I don't know the script but you could take the weapon spawners from Clone Soccer, also, Cortex Command already has a built in kill counter that shows on the screen....unless that was taken out in Build 22? Therefore brain bot wouldn't be neccasry. THe respawn code is already part of missions, just rip it from one of them.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:37 pm

striker121 wrote:
Well it pretty simple. I don't know the script but you could take the weapon spawners from Clone Soccer, also, Cortex Command already has a built in kill counter that shows on the screen....unless that was taken out in Build 22? Therefore brain bot wouldn't be neccasry. THe respawn code is already part of missions, just rip it from one of them.

I was thinking about ripping it from Klone Soccer but, there are already 2 problems there. It doesn't work with B22 so I couldn't test it out. That and I don't know how to rip the Lua from it. Because remember this whole Lua thing is new to me. The normal CC modding I understood just from looking at the base CC files, but I can't make a hint of sense out of the Lua code I see on this forum. As well as I don't know how to find it on any mods I use that have Lua in them.

Edit: Oh, and I totally forgot it had kill counters built in, haha.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:30 am

The Fat Sand Rat wrote:
I think that numgun was working on something along these lines a while back; it would be like a traditional deathmatch type thing.

Really?
I recall Numgun saying that Daman would make the script.

Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:10 pm

Roy-G-Biv wrote:

I have my doubts on him. :-(
Feel free to make new scripts.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:30 am

NUMGUN HAS SPOKEN :bow:

Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:58 pm

numgun wrote:
Roy-G-Biv wrote:

I have my doubts on him. :-(
Feel free to make new scripts.

Data never responded. Don't remember the variable for kills on each team. It's Data's fault, not mine !! !!

!!

Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:12 am

I would make this, but I have so much more stuff to do. If it's not done in December after I'm done with stuff, I will make this.

Good ideas:

• Spawn point objects that can be placed with scene editor.
  • All Deathmatch gametype objects have a dm_ prefix.
  • Lua uses these objects to initialize it's stuff, instead of having to do it manually through areas/Vectors in Lua file.
  • DM-specific game options can be accessed through buy menu, while playing.

Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:02 am

wow, access things using buy menu.
wow.
That would be amazing.
wow.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:22 am

Aspect wrote:
wow, access things using buy menu.
wow.
That would be amazing.
wow.

Hm.....
We've been doing this for the past 14/15 builds.......?

Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:39 pm

No, I'm saying you could change time limit and kill limit and various DM settings with it.

Last edited by Lord Tim on Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:10 pm

which would be wow.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:39 am

So this means someone is working on something somewhat similar to what I have suggested? Can I help? :D
Because that was my whole motive here.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:31 am

I was sort of starting to work on this, now that I'm done being busy.

I can get most of the stuff you want, and it shouldn't take too long. The most time consuming parts would be making the actual CC .ini objects, which, if you would like to help, you could do. That way you can have most of the content parts how you like it. I'll also PM you the script, to show you how I'm doing it. Not now, but maybe tomorrow.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next