View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Circles 

Post Circles
Most mods that use object moving in a circular motion use some hacky emitters, timers or other inaccurate methods. If you want to have easy circles in your mod, read on.
This is the function I use:
Code:
function circle(Radius,Angle,ObjectStartX,ObjectStartY)
return Vector((math.cos(Angle)*Radius)+ObjectStartX,(math.sin(Angle)*-Radius+ObjectStartY));
end

Now some of you are probably thinking: "OH NOES TRIG I DUNT NO TRIG HALP PLIZ!!!1!1!!"
Well here's how it works:
In trig, doing cos(θ),sin(θ) will give the coordinates of a vector in the direction θ is facing with a magnitude of 1. multiplying both coordinates by N will give us the coordinates with magnitude of N (N being the radius of our circle). So
Code:
Vector((math.cos(Angle)*Radius),(math.sin(Angle)*-Radius))

Works the same way as Vector( cos(θ)*N, sin(θ)*-N). If we add this to our object's start position it will move to the point specified by the vector.
Code:
return Vector((math.cos(Angle)*Radius)+ObjectStartX,(math.sin(Angle)*-Radius+ObjectStartY));

This is not all, we also need to change the direction our angle is pointing at, causing the object to move in a circle. So, in the update part of code your code add:
Code:
MyAngle = MyAngle + M

This is the end result.

I hope you learned something here, enjoy!

tl;dr: Just run this script on any object to make it move in a circle.

PS. I've never learned trig (nor have I had the option to) so if there's anything wrong or inaccurate, I apologize (And if you point it out, I will fix it).

Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:18 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]