View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Camoflauge help 

Post Camoflauge help
ok so I would like help with making so when you pick a pie menu option ( custom when they get fixed) It changes the sprites on a actor.

An example would be say you have a Chameleon actor and you pick the "blend" option, the sprites, all of them, change to a different one.

So he is blue by default. you pick the blend and it changes all the sprites to use other ones and would just cycle between them.

Would this have to be done like an alt ammo gun where it completely changes the actor to a new one or can you change just the sprites it uses for legs arms and stuff?

Pics for an example of what I need help with also I have no idea how to do Lua at all.

these pics are purely for example they are fake.

EDIT 2: Also if it would make it easier or people more willing to help I can do all the ini coding and have all the sprites and everything ready and I'll upload it.

Last edited by SnowMonster20 on Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:15 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post Re: Camoflauge help
Provided you set the sprites as different frames you can cycle between them on everything, excluding hands and feet.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:01 am

I only know how to animate it though. I want it to stay on that sprite when the pie is selected. Not a rave actor lol

How would I go about doing it that way?

Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:22 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

In the .ini for each body part, set SpriteAnimMode = 0.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:53 am

I don't think it will work like that or be that simple. I mean like I said I am not trying to animate it and the legs and arms have five frames already so I struggle to see how that would work. Sorry I guess it's my fault for not being clear. :) I updated the first post.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:24 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

You can set the frame for the head and torso, but the arms and legs will be pretty much impossible to do, sadly.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I suppose you will have to delete the actor and place another one in it's position with the camoflauged colors.

Not as cool as what you wanted to do, but would work anyway.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:03 pm

It would work the same way though I would imagine. I had a feeling it would have to be like that anyway where it replaced the whole actor with a new one. How would I go about doing that?

If I have to I could just fall on one of the traditional ways to do it and make him invisible but I would rather not do that. Just make him harder to spot. Like a real chameleon. Real ones only can change between like 2 or 3 colors anyway I think.

Also how would i make it so AI actors have a harder time seeing it?

Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:16 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

The only way I can think of making it "un-noticeable" for the AI would be changing it to their team.

But I don't know, I've never learnt much on AI stuff.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:44 am

SnowMonster20 wrote:
Also how would i make it so AI actors have a harder time seeing it?

Hmm, I think it's gonna be tough, you'd have to figure out which part of the AI lua file in Base.rte deals with detecting enemies and how to respond to them... and then make your chameleon actor actively mess with the variables in the AI lua so they won't shoot their guns in your direction.

Also, maybe for the chameleoning part, maybe reduce the body's scale to 0, make a replacement 'body', and transferring the damage from the replacement to the real body. But it'd look weird and all. Feet and hands would still show.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

There is a problem in doing that, if you create a new body it won't have any wounds, so it would make it pretty immortal.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:30 pm

The unnoticed by AI isn't near as important as the changing color. Plus He will be wearing boots and gloves so the hands and feet are irrelevant or Ill do something similar to Darlos and make the hands and feet part of the legs and arms sprite.

I really don't want to just make him turn invisible though. Even if it completely changes the actor and deletes the currant one each time you press switch that would work great!

Also I am working on him now. Hopefully will have all .ini done tonight or tomorrow and ill upload so there is less work for anyone helping me or so they can play around with it for ideas and what not.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]