View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Shooting ObstacleRay straight up 

Post Shooting ObstacleRay straight up
Man this should be super easy but I cannot find an answer to this - I want something to activate upon detecting a ceiling 5 or so pixels above it. So what I'm looking for is the code to first cast the ray, and second to actually place in the if statement. Any help is appreciated.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:41 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Post Re: Shooting ObstacleRay straight up
From here: http://wiki.datarealms.com/SceneMan:CastObstacleRay

What you need to do is something like:
Code:
self.startPos = Vector(120, 422); -- This is from where you start casting the ray. It could be self.Pos for an Actor, etc.
self.collisionPos = Vector(0,0);
self.preCollisionPos = Vector(0,0);
SceneMan:CastObstacleRay(self.startPos, Vector(0, -5), self.collisionPos, self.preCollisionPos, 0, -1, 0, 1);

After that, if self.collisionPos is different from Vector(0,0), that means the ray encountered an obstacle (and self.collisionPos contains the coordinates of the obstacle). So:
Code:
if self.collisionPos ~= Vector(0, 0) then
    -- do stuff
end

I haven't tested any of this, so I may have something wrong. The basic idea still holds though. If you have more questions please try to be specific.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:40 pm

Sallen wrote:
From here: http://wiki.datarealms.com/SceneMan:CastObstacleRay

What you need to do is something like:
Code:
self.startPos = Vector(120, 422); -- This is from where you start casting the ray. It could be self.Pos for an Actor, etc.
SceneMan:CastObstacleRay(self.startPos, Vector(0, -5), self.collisionPos, self.preCollisionPos, 0, -1, 0, 1);

After that, if self.collisionPos is different from Vector(0,0), that means the ray encountered an obstacle (and self.collisionPos contains the coordinates of the obstacle). So:
Code:
if self.collisionPos ~= Vector(0, 0) then
    -- do stuff
end

I haven't tested any of this, so I may have something wrong. The basic idea still holds though. If you have more questions please try to be specific.

Hi, thanks for your help. I put the code in and it seems to work - at least, no errors, and the effect properly happens when it's against a ceiling. However, it ALSO happens when it's not touching the ceiling.

Code:
function Create(self)
   self.LifeTimer = Timer();
end

function Update(self)
   self.ToSettle = false;

self.startPos = self.Pos; -- This is from where you start casting the ray. It could be self.Pos for an Actor, etc.

if self.LifeTimer:IsPastSimMS(4000) and self.collisionPos ~= Vector(0,0) then
      self.ToDelete = true;
      local createmissile = CreateMOSRotating("Orange Bush","Xenobiology.rte")
      createmissile.Pos = self.Pos;
      MovableMan:AddParticle(createmissile);
   end

end

Code is as follows, and I frankly don't know enough about ObstacleRays to correct the issue. Any ideas?

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:58 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Code:
   local obsray = SceneMan:CastObstacleRay(self.Pos,Vector(0,-7),Vector(),Vector(),self.ID,self.Team,0,0);
   if self.LifeTimer:IsPastSimMS(4000) and obsray <= 5 and obsray > 0 then
      self.ToDelete = true;
      local createmissile = CreateMOSRotating("Orange Bush","Xenobiology.rte")
      createmissile.Pos = self.Pos;
      MovableMan:AddParticle(createmissile);
   end

Should work. For this case you probably don't need the collision pos or the pre-collision pos vectors. Will also ignore itself and MOs on its team when casting, change the self.ID and self.Team back if you don't want that.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]