View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 shoddy ray stuff 

Post shoddy ray stuff
Code:
function Create(self)
   self.ToSettle = false
   self.Life = Timer()
   self.penTimer = Timer();

self.raylength = 20;
   self.rayPixSpace = 1;

self.dots = math.floor(self.raylength/self.rayPixSpace);

local Effect
   local Offset = self.Vel*(20*TimerMan.DeltaTimeSecs)   -- the effect will be created the next frame so move it one frame backwards towards the barrel

-- smoke forward
   for i = 1, 4 do
      Effect = CreateMOSParticle("Side Thruster Blast Ball 1", "Base.rte")
      if Effect then
         Effect.Vel = self:RotateOffset(Vector(RangeRand(6,9),RangeRand(-3,3)))
         Effect.Pos = self.Pos - Offset
         MovableMan:AddParticle(Effect)
      end
   end

for i = 1, 1 do
      Effect = CreateMOPixel("Glow Explosion Huge", "Base.rte")
      if Effect then
      end
   end
   for i = 1, 2 do
      Effect = CreateAEmitter("Explosion Trail 1")
      if Effect then
      end
   end

-- smoke up
   for i = 1, 5 do
      Effect = CreateMOSParticle("Tiny Smoke Ball 1", "Base.rte")
      if Effect then
         Effect.Vel = self:RotateOffset(Vector(RangeRand(-2,2), -RangeRand(7,11)))
      end
   end

-- smoke down
   for i = 1, 5 do
      if Effect then
         Effect.Vel = self:RotateOffset(Vector(RangeRand(-2,2), RangeRand(7,11)))
      end
   end
end

function Update(self)
   if self.Life:IsPastSimMS(5) then
      if SceneMan:FindAltitude(self.Pos, 500, 1) < 5 then
         self.penetrating = true
      end
   end
   self.ToSettle = false
   local Effect
   local Offset = self.Vel*(20*TimerMan.DeltaTimeSecs)   -- the effect will be created the next frame so move it one frame backwards towards the barrel

-- smoke trail
   for i = 1, math.floor(self.Vel.Magnitude*0.045) do
      Effect = CreateMOSParticle("Tiny Smoke Trail " .. math.random(3), "Coalition.rte")
      if Effect then
         Effect.Pos = self.Pos - Offset * i/8 + Vector(RangeRand(-2,2),RangeRand(-2,2))
         Effect.Vel = (self.Vel + Vector(RangeRand(-10,30),RangeRand(-10,10))) / 20
      end
   end
   local Vector2 = (Vector(25,0):GetXFlipped(self.HFlipped)):RadRotate(self.RotAngle);
   local Vector3 = Vector(0,0);
   local Vector4 = Vector(0,0);
   self.ray = SceneMan:CastObstacleRay(self.Pos, Vector2, Vector3, Vector4, self.RootID, self.Team, 128, 0);
   local gap = SceneMan:ShortestDistance(self.Pos, Vector3, true)
   local length = gap.Magnitude
   if length <= 5 then
      self.penTimer:Reset()
      self.penetrating = true
   end
   if self.penetrating == true then
      if self.penTimer:IsPastSimMS(60) then
         self:GibThis()
      end
   end

for i = 1, self.dots do
      local checkPos = self.Pos + Vector(self.Vel.X,self.Vel.Y):SetMagnitude((i/self.dots)*self.raylength);
      if SceneMan.SceneWrapsX == true then
         if checkPos.X > SceneMan.SceneWidth then
            checkPos = Vector(checkPos.X - SceneMan.SceneWidth,checkPos.Y);
         elseif checkPos.X < 0 then
            checkPos = Vector(SceneMan.SceneWidth + checkPos.X,checkPos.Y);
         end
      end
      local terrCheck = SceneMan:GetTerrMatter(checkPos.X,checkPos.Y);
      if terrCheck == 9 or terrCheck == 10 or terrCheck == 11 then
         self:GibThis();
      end
   end

end

as u maybe can see this is supposed to check if the round this .lua is attached to is close to something, aka going through it (high gib impulse limit, mass and strong deep material etc) and initiate a timer

my problem is, this is really, really unreliable

some rare times it fails to set off, and if i make the length requirement lower, it's even more sensitive, and sets off quicker (wut? shouldnt that mean it has to be even closer (wait more time) before setting off)

i've also tried to make it so that it only initiates the timer to gib itself once it's gotten OUT of the thing it touched - by making another length check, and only setting the timer off if the length is above a certain amount

this was met with tons of unreliability and i could make no sense of it

so what the heck is going on here?

EDIT: this is basically the gun right now

Last edited by Hoovytaurus on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:30 pm

Post Re: shoddy ray stuff
Well, to start with, SceneMan:GetTerrMatter only applies to terrain, not MOs. Another issue is that your projectile might be moving fast enough that it covers a larger distance per frame than the ray.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:44 am

CaveCricket48 wrote:
Well, to start with, SceneMan:GetTerrMatter only applies to terrain, not MOs. Another issue is that your projectile might be moving fast enough that it covers a larger distance per frame than the ray.

the terrmatter stuff is just to check for dirt - i want it to penetrate concrete and other things but not act like a gunpowder-powered digger. surprisingly, that part works flawlessly. the part above, with the obstacle ray, is the one that is unreliable

should i increase ray length, then? its shot out with a velocity of 170, which is pretty fast i suppose but i dont think it moves 25 pixels a frame, does it?

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:16 am

Took a closer look - looks like while the obstacle ray is 25 pixels long, you're only checking if the projectile is within 5 pixels of an obstacle, so your ray is effectively only 5 pixels.

If you want to have a longer, more reliable ray/distance check while still having the projectile detonate up close, you could try teleporting the projectile closer before detonation.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:53 pm

CaveCricket48 wrote:
Took a closer look - looks like while the obstacle ray is 25 pixels long, you're only checking if the projectile is within 5 pixels of an obstacle, so your ray is effectively only 5 pixels.

If you want to have a longer, more reliable ray/distance check while still having the projectile detonate up close, you could try teleporting the projectile closer before detonation.

well the point of this script is to initiate a boom-timer upon it penetrating sometimes

for example, if there is a guy hiding in a bunker, i can fire through the wall and have the round explode just after penetrating, rather than on the surface, or not at all and just plowing through the guy instead

im not sure what teleporting it would achieve here

to elaborate, the problem is that sometimes it seems to detonate instantly upon it touching a wall, sometimes it works well, and sometimes it completely fails to detonate, even when in circumstances where it should (ive seen it get stuck in a very thick concrete wall and just sit there, encased in concrete without exploding - and the timer is shorter than the time it took to settle!)

maybe i could use the second bit of the code to achieve it since it's rather reliable, but then i'd have to manually add in every material i want it to act that way to

Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:22 pm

Okay so, this script is supposed to detect an obstacle (MO or terrain), and then start a timer. Then, when the timer finishes, it explodes.

Is it possible infinitely restarting the timer, for the scenario where it's embedded in walls and not doing anything?

Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:49 pm

CaveCricket48 wrote:
Okay so, this script is supposed to detect an obstacle (MO or terrain), and then start a timer. Then, when the timer finishes, it explodes.

Is it possible infinitely restarting the timer, for the scenario where it's embedded in walls and not doing anything?

i was gonna write no then i took a look at the code, yeah that might be possible

would putting a length less than 5 AND self.penetrating == false check work to fix that? then it can only reset once

ill go check right now and test over and over again, as one does

EDIT: ok so i had a look

firing horizontally through walls goes pretty well, havent had one dud

firing at a direct, downwards into the ground, seems to produce most duds

firing at a pretty horizontal angle towards the ground makes it prematurely detonate, penetrating even less than expected even if you factor in the fact that it has to go through more ground thanks to the angle

firing through very thin walls or corners fails to set off the timer and will produce a dud, until it plows into something else

Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:19 pm

Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of the sprite of the projectile?

I'm wondering if the premature detonation (when firing at a mostly horizontal angle into the ground) is due to the terrain check? Are you testing on dirt ground or concrete/scrap ground?

Producing a dud through corners and very thin walls is probably due to the 5 pixel length check - if the projectile is traveling faster than 5 pixels per frame, it would effectively have "holes" in its detection, and be able to miss thin walls.

Firing directly into the ground and getting duds
- if this is before adding the self.penetrating check to "if length <= 5 then", it sounds like it's infinitely resetting the timer.
- if this is after adding the self.penetrating check, then that's strange, and would ask what you have set for the projectile's RestThreshold.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:33 pm

CaveCricket48 wrote:
Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of the sprite of the projectile?

I'm wondering if the premature detonation (when firing at a mostly horizontal angle into the ground) is due to the terrain check? Are you testing on dirt ground or concrete/scrap ground?

Producing a dud through corners and very thin walls is probably due to the 5 pixel length check - if the projectile is traveling faster than 5 pixels per frame, it would effectively have "holes" in its detection, and be able to miss thin walls.

Firing directly into the ground and getting duds
- if this is before adding the self.penetrating check to "if length <= 5 then", it sounds like it's infinitely resetting the timer.
- if this is after adding the self.penetrating check, then that's strange, and would ask what you have set for the projectile's RestThreshold.

i am testing it on concrete ground, firing it into dirt produces instant detonation - as expected and properly working, no worries there

so the only way to fix that is to make the length - or lack or it - bigger? perhaps if i also increase the timer this could make it more reliable without necessarily messing up the intended timing

the dimensions of the round itself are 23 long and 5 thick

there is no restthreshold defined - at the time of making this i knew there was something like that but failed to remember. what should i set it to?

Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:43 pm

Set your RestThreshold to a negative number, this will keep it from settling. -500 or something. After that, mess around with your timer delay and ray check length, see if you can get something workable. With the self.penetrating check before resetting the timer, it shouldn't produce duds (outside of not properly detecting small terrain).

Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:55 pm

CaveCricket48 wrote:
Set your RestThreshold to a negative number, this will keep it from settling. -500 or something. After that, mess around with your timer delay and ray check length, see if you can get something workable. With the self.penetrating check before resetting the timer, it shouldn't produce duds (outside of not properly detecting small terrain).

i will try just that and report back in an edit

does 20 if-requirement on the length stuff sound good? how fast is "170" anyway?

EDIT: ok this is very interesting

i have tested and i commented out the self.epentrating == true from the altitude check

it stopped working completely, as if the obstacle ray was doing nothing at all

i set length to less than 40, which should be foolproof, but it still seems to straight up not work

it throws no errors. what's going on?

Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:02 pm

Can you repost your entire script?

Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:31 pm

CaveCricket48 wrote:
Can you repost your entire script?

here iti s

Code:
function Create(self)
   self.ToSettle = false
   self.Life = Timer()
   self.penTimer = Timer();

self.raylength = 20;
   self.rayPixSpace = 1;

self.dots = math.floor(self.raylength/self.rayPixSpace);

local Effect

-- smoke forward
   for i = 1, 4 do
      Effect = CreateMOSParticle("Side Thruster Blast Ball 1", "Base.rte")
      if Effect then
      end
   end

for i = 1, 1 do
      Effect = CreateMOPixel("Glow Explosion Huge", "Base.rte")
      if Effect then
      end
   end
   for i = 1, 2 do
      Effect = CreateAEmitter("Explosion Trail 1")
      if Effect then
      end
   end

-- smoke up
   for i = 1, 5 do
      if Effect then
         Effect.Vel = self:RotateOffset(Vector(RangeRand(-2,2), -RangeRand(7,11)))
      end
   end

-- smoke down
   for i = 1, 5 do
      if Effect then
         Effect.Vel = self:RotateOffset(Vector(RangeRand(-2,2), RangeRand(7,11)))
      end
   end
end

function Update(self)
   if self.Life:IsPastSimMS(5) then
      if SceneMan:FindAltitude(self.Pos, 500, 1) < 5 then
         self.penetrating = true
      end
   end
   self.ToSettle = false
   local Effect

-- smoke trail
   for i = 1, math.floor(self.Vel.Magnitude*0.045) do
      Effect = CreateMOSParticle("Tiny Smoke Trail " .. math.random(3), "Coalition.rte")
      if Effect then
         Effect.Pos = self.Pos - Offset * i/8 + Vector(RangeRand(-2,2),RangeRand(-2,2))
         Effect.Vel = (self.Vel + Vector(RangeRand(-10,30),RangeRand(-10,10))) / 20
      end
   end
   local Vector2 = (Vector(40,0):GetXFlipped(self.HFlipped)):RadRotate(self.RotAngle);
   local Vector3 = Vector(0,0);
   local Vector4 = Vector(0,0);
   self.ray = SceneMan:CastObstacleRay(self.Pos, Vector2, Vector3, Vector4, self.RootID, self.Team, 128, 0);
   local gap = SceneMan:ShortestDistance(self.Pos, Vector3, true)
   local length = gap.Magnitude
   if length <= 40 and self.penetrating == false then
      self.penTimer:Reset()
      self.penetrating = true
   end
   if self.penetrating == true then
      if self.penTimer:IsPastSimMS(200) then
         self:GibThis()
      end
   end

for i = 1, self.dots do
      local checkPos = self.Pos + Vector(self.Vel.X,self.Vel.Y):SetMagnitude((i/self.dots)*self.raylength);
      if SceneMan.SceneWrapsX == true then
         if checkPos.X > SceneMan.SceneWidth then
            checkPos = Vector(checkPos.X - SceneMan.SceneWidth,checkPos.Y);
         elseif checkPos.X < 0 then
            checkPos = Vector(SceneMan.SceneWidth + checkPos.X,checkPos.Y);
         end
      end
      local terrCheck = SceneMan:GetTerrMatter(checkPos.X,checkPos.Y);
      if terrCheck == 9 or terrCheck == 10 or terrCheck == 11 then
         self:GibThis();
      end
   end

end

Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:32 pm

It looks like self.penetrating is not actually set to some initial value anywhere in the script, if I'm reading it correctly.

Since you commented out the self.penetrating = true from the altitude section, self.penetrating is a null value during the ray length check, not false.

Put a self.penetrating = false in your Create() block and test with the self.penetrating in the altitude section commented out.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:40 pm

CaveCricket48 wrote:
It looks like self.penetrating is not actually set to some initial value anywhere in the script, if I'm reading it correctly.

Since you commented out the self.penetrating = true from the altitude section, self.penetrating is a null value during the ray length check, not false.

Put a self.penetrating = false in your Create() block and test with the self.penetrating in the altitude section commented out.

ahhhhhh

a bug in coding is 1% actually doign something wrong and 99% overlooking things huh? thanks i will try it out and edit in results

edit: absolutely brillaint man it all works!

thank you so much for all this, you are the best dude

i hope this will make it on the workshop or this forum soon... if i get around to polishing my older things haha

have an awesome day

Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]