View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 SWAT Kats, the Radical Squadron. Lua help needed. 

Post SWAT Kats, the Radical Squadron. Lua help needed.
I can't believe there isn't a mention of the SWAT Kats on these boards.
Being a fan of the series, I can't see how it went past your radar with its setting.

I can't sprite worth crap (it's my personal opinion), so I obviously can't hope to make a good mod by myself. But maybe somebody else here will take a shot at it?

New pics:

T-Bone and Razor: (Razor is kinda torn up here - it's a little better in-game)

The Mini-turboblades cut up walls and anything else, really:

The Mini-cement launcher is a nonlethal weapon killing with sheer kinetic force. Patches up holes, too:

The Mini-Octopus missile is supposed to detain the enemy, but for now it just smashes into them and kills them:

I've considered some things that could be in the mod. Specifically:

Main cast:
T-Bone: big and strong. Can take a little more hits than the average soldier. Default armament: claws, glovetrix(rocket, blaster, cement launcher)
Razor: fast. Default armament: punch, glovetrix(turboblades, scrambler, cement launcher)
Commander Feral: hardy and strong. Can take a lot of punishment for his size. Default armament: rod, enforcer pistol, enforcer bazooka
Deputy Mayor Calico Briggs: fast. Generates revenue by being present. Can throw money around.

Supporting cast:
Mayor Manx: average. Throws "Vote for Manx" badges. The only one who can easily destroy Red Lynx.
Lieutenant Feral: fast and nimble. Default armament: enforcer rifle, enforcer bazooka
Professor Hackle: slow and fragile. Default armament: cane, neural neutralizer. Ability: robot control matrix.
Doctor Greenbox: average. Default armament: Gemkat 6000
Doctor Sinian: fast. Usually unarmed.
Reporter Ann Gora: fast. Swings microphone.
Cameraman Johnny: fast. Has a camera.

Major villains:
Pastmaster: small, fast. Zaps lightning with watch. Creates anomalies that suck things in or create randomly destructive monsters.
Dark Kat: large, powerful. Default armament: claws, high-power laser rifle, two creepling "bombs".
Doctor Viper: fast. Armament: tail. Throws several grades of mutagen, which cause explosions, plant monsters, mutations, etc.
Mack and Molly Mange: Robots. Hard. Almost invulnerable. Armament: claws, rapid-fire lasers, missiles.

Minor enemies:
Red Lynx: skeletal, usually fragile. Respawns shortly after death if killed by anyone other than Mayor Manx. (may be difficult to code)
Hard Drive: should teleport through metal, but it's unlikely to be possible in the game.
Morbulus: has eyes on the back of his head. Nothing else special.
Chop Shop: mostly normal, but has a fancy handgun (that he never managed to fire in the one episode he was in).
Turmoil: fast. Armed with a generic blaster rifle.
Mutilor: large, powerful. Armed with an alien blaster rifle.

Mooks:
Enforcer: average, with attachable armor and helmet. Armed with an enforcer rifle.
Enforcer captain: slightly stronger than average. Armed with twin enforcer pistols.
Miner: average, armed with a jackhammer.

Evil mooks:
Gangsters: average, generic pistols as weapons.
Creeplings: small flying purple/pink drakelings. Claw and bite.
"Living cabbage": they have no real name, are created by Dr.Viper's mutagens. Come in two varieties, legged and flying. Bite, spit acid.
Giant Bacteria: Pile of purple humanoid ooze. Killed easily by fire or lightning, splits into two when crushed or blown up.
Turmoil's henchwomen: Average, armed with generic blaster rifles.
Aliens: average but tough. Armed with alien blasters.

Weapons:
Glovatrix: A weapon system worn like a glove. Ideally, one weapon item with selectable firing modes. Failing that, several weapons:
Mini cement launchers: shoot a pack of cement that damages the target and leaves a glob of cement at point of impact.
Turboblades: razor-sharp crescent blades, shot in pairs.
Rockets: just fly and blow up.
Blaster: just shoots a bolt of something.
Scramblers: missiles with a high-voltage charge that disrupts robots.

SWAT Kat launcher: typical launcher, equippable with various missiles in addition to the common variety:
Buzzsaw missile: Opens up in flight and tears through any soft enough obstacle in the way.
Octopus missile: relatively harmless, opens up and knocks the target away.
Slicer missile: splits into four insanely sharp blades that cut through pretty much anything.
Drillbit missile: relatively slow, attempts to drill through the target (obviously).
Matchhead missile: sets its target alight when hits.
Groundhog missile: relatively slow and blunt, digs a wide tunnel through the ground.

The other weapons bear no special mention, other than the neural neutralizer (instantly disables robots), robot control matrix (turns any hostile robots in the vicinity to the player's side), Gemkat 6000 (basically digs, but produces gold even from "empty" ground), and creepling bombs (just produce AI creeplings when thrown).
----------------------------------------

Right now, I'm investigating possible ways to make the Glovatrix and the Kat Launcher work. Ideas so far include attaching a host of emitters through code, and have one of them emit a corresponding projectile after a certain key is pressed. Would that be possible? I know addressing an inventory item is a pain currently, but what if it only needs to be done once per item creation? After that, the emitter handles would be available, and the weapon itself wouldn't need to be addressed.

Last edited by Sean Mirrsen on Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:18 pm
Banned

Post Re: SWAT Kats, the Radical Squadron.
You are going to wish you hadn't wasted your time writing that essay.

Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:19 pm
Profile YIM

I specialize in typing down my thoughts, even if I struggle to render them into English properly sometimes. So, not much effort spent there. Unless you mean following through with the list, in which case yeah, I might. :) Still, if there would be any reasons to spend effort on a mod, the SWAT Kats are probably the best of them.

Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:36 pm
Banned

If the show is half as violent as your weapon description makes it sound, I like it.

Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:52 pm
Profile YIM

It was actually fairly benign in that regard - no blood'n'guts or anything, but it did frequently portray death off-screen (and, in rare cases, on-screen, like a crystallized person shattering). It was eventually discontinued, and being overly violent for its time is usually cited as the main cause of discontinuation.

Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:56 pm
Banned

If they think that a person shattering is violent, I wonder what they'd think of Metalocalypse. Or Invader Zim. Which was canceled on the same reasons as the Kats, apparently. Anyways, I've got other things to code, and not enough patience to take on anything else, but I will do some weapon spriting (and basic coding, as long as it doesn't require Lua), if you want. And can provide me with reference pix.

Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:59 pm
Profile YIM

SWAT Katz has potential as a squad mod combined with some vehicle awesomeness.
Btw thanks for posting this, now I finally get to know the name of the series I watched so eagerly on cartoon network looooooooooong ago. I remember when the series came so super late in the night that I barely got to watch a few episodes.

But man, they rocked.

Anyways, back to the mod side. Realistically and honestly if I was making this, I'd make the following only:
-The Katz, one will act as the heavy dude with lots of power and strength and the other guy as a stealth and agile dude. They would balance out on each other and rely on team work... just like its ment to be.
-The Jet. Cooking up something from that half-arsed Plane mod released some time ago, a cool jet is possible.
-Possible weapons specifically designed for each of the Kat.

So what I'm getting at is a hero mod. You play with both of the catz or with a friend and you both have your own jet fighters. And then you take on and kick some serious ass in the air and then land to defeat the objective inside a bunker.

Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:07 pm

The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia should have most things you would like to know/see. For a general summary, there's always Wikipedia.

ninja edit: numgun, while I find the idea of "SWAT Kats vs everything" interesting, I'd still like to see some of the villains and mooks in the game as well. Because if it's not made, how are you going to have T-Bone and Razor hold out against waves of, say Metallitack units?

Btw, just thought of one more thing. A generic "drop crate" craft for the mod could be... the enforcer chopper. I mean really, those things crash so often it's become a running gag.

And about the jet, I wanted to ask a question. Is it really impossible to change the appearance of an actor on-the-fly with Lua? Say, making it switch between frames of its animation? Because it might be possible to leverage the "Choplifter style", where you can rotate the craft you're piloting with a push of a button.

Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:20 pm
Banned

I hope it is possible for craft to have multiple frames, because several things I'm planning rely on it. But anyways, I'll see what I can do about your weapon sprites.
Just out of curiosity, around what time were these on the air?

Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:22 pm
Profile YIM

Holy crap I just remember watching that show when I was really young. I remember the secret jet take-off thing. Hah, crazy.

Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:47 pm

SWAT Kats, my childhood! Well, a small part of my childhood but still. Good to see them in CC.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:18 am

I've got a little more done. Some refinements to T-Bone's sprite, the sprites for the Glovetrix, the Turboblades and Mini Cement Launcher for weapons. Pics as soon as I get the internet back for my laptop.

I've hit a few snags though. The game won't let me have brackets in the PresetName, any brackets I tried resulted in a black screen on loading up a level.
I also can't make a projectile gib itself when its lifetime ends. I'm using a TDExplosive with a TriggerDelay instead, but don't think it's the way it should be.
Also, any way to prevent high-speed sticky particles from bouncing away? I reckon there has to be, but couldn't quite figure it out.

And finally, now that there is at least a hint of a mod present, I suppose this could be moved to Mod Making?

Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:09 pm

You could use an AEmitter with timed burst. For example, make an AEmitter, make it gib something, make it burst out high-mass particles at a fast speed (air material, probably, and make it push the emitter) to end its lifetime, and boomshakalaka. Make it gib into explosions. Ah yeah, almost forgot: make sure the gibimpulselimit on the AEmitter is low enough so it bursts, but high enough for your needs (AKA: not get hit by a bullet and explode prematurely).

Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:56 am
Profile YIM WWW

carriontrooper wrote:
You could use an AEmitter with timed burst. For example, make an AEmitter, make it gib something, make it burst out high-mass particles at a fast speed (air material, probably, and make it push the emitter) to end its lifetime, and boomshakalaka. Make it gib into explosions. Ah yeah, almost forgot: make sure the gibimpulselimit on the AEmitter is low enough so it bursts, but high enough for your needs (AKA: not get hit by a bullet and explode prematurely).
-_-"
Make sure that HitsMOs = 0, GibImpulseLimit = 1 and GetsHitByMOs = 0 on the emitter. Also make sure that the emitted particles are LifeTime = 1. That is all.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:48 am
Profile WWW

I don't think HitsMOs = 0 would be palatable for ammunition... well, depends on what the said projectile is for anyways.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next