View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Super Smash Bros. Brawl characters in CC? 
happy carebear mom

Post Re: Super Smash Bros. Brawl characters in CC?
CrazyMLC wrote:
As long as you don't take credit for making the character or you don't make money off of it they can't really sue you anyway.

Copyright is heated stuff, in case you haven't noticed. I agree they won't prosecute you (they'd have a hell of a time getting their copyrighted material back from the internet anyway), but that doesn't mean they can't.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:04 am
Banned

It's more of the principle. How would you like it if someone was profiting and gaining notoriety by exploiting your work without permission of credit given?

Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:02 am
Profile YIM

If I were in their position in these circumstances, (large successful corporation seeing a non-profit imitation of my product in a mod of a small-time game that I'm not competing with) I would be pleased. Imitation is the best form of flattery, and all it would do is gear interest back into my product.
But if they were claiming the work as entirely their own, I would likely be annoyed. If they were profiting significantly, I may do something about it.

Technically, it may be considered a fair-use derivative work.
It may be illegal and opposing a general moral ideal, but in the circumstances and scale of things, I think having a bit of fun with it may be worth it.
But putting the needed effort into something else original and unique that you can legitimately claim as your own would be much more worth it.

Which brings me to my opinion on the actual subject, the potential SSBB mod. I say don't do it, not because of legality, it's just that you could do better [more fun, more glory] with the same resources and skill by making something new and interesting.

To anyone that will be doing it anyway though, I might be able to help with providing sounds. I've come across them [ssbb character sounds] before and may be able to find them again.
Funny how using ripped copyrighted sounds is general acceptable practice here but then when it's an imitation of a concept, an argument starts.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:32 am
Banned

You say that, until someone starts making money off of your work. While that is not likely to occur here, the copyright law as it exists is pretty straightforward.

I am all about copyleft, providing your materials to the greater artistic and creative good, et al, but the fact of the matter is that people need to be explicit about this. When you release a mod, say you're releasing it under Creative Commons, or GPL, or just throw it out there in the public domain.

This makes it easier for people to actually make derivative works if they know the license it is under. Of course, this is predicated upon people knowing how the law works, even just a little bit.

Perhaps something the Mod Release forum should address is a blanket policy on reproduction. Either ALWAYS ASK 4 PERMISHUN or may I be so bold to suggest YOU GOTS TO TELL PEOPLE NOT TO COPY YO SHYT.

I would have to go with the second one. The way the game is made is open, the files you create are accessible and interpretable by humans. Let's just say: "If you post work in the Mod Releases section, it is considered [something] unless you specify otherwise."

Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:04 pm
Profile YIM
happy carebear mom

ProjektTHOR wrote:
Let's just say: "If you post work in the Mod Releases section, it is considered [something] unless you specify otherwise."

This. I recently made it clear on my mods, but it would be nice to have it for those who don't bother.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:36 pm

Howabout we just make the damn characters and credit Nintendo for creating them? This is the main reason I hate copyright...

Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:54 pm
Profile YIM

Let me get this straight... your telling me that making a bunch of pixels based off a game character is illegal! No one is making money, no one is stealing, and no one is ripping anyone off. Where the heck is the problem! Go yell at smash flash (Which is also legal) instead of derailing this thread guys.

Now back on topic, I don't think we should get much of the moves from the game. I think it would be a little awkward to have peach fling her hips (B Side move), and kill a ronin. Stuff like PK thunder wouldn't be that bad though. We already have a mario, snake, and samus actor. We can skip out on some characters (Jigglypuff).

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:21 am

Yes, Jigglypuff stays the hell out! Lucario, I am looking forward to. Mario, Snake, Samus, they're all in, so why not add (Most) of the rest??

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:23 am
Profile YIM

I think everyone who is saying that someone would sue you is exaggerating.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:38 am
Profile WWW

People make mods in one game from another game all the time. Though Nintendo is a little touchy about their intellectual property.

On topic, anyone who could code the Kirby Final Smash move should be working for DRL. :D

Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:11 am

Jon wrote:
anyone who could code the Kirby Final Smash move should be working for DRL. :D

Heck, yea, dude! But how would it work? The baddies just get insta-sucked into some magical pot, get cooked for a few secs, then pop out as gold?

Alzarii wrote:
+1 respect to whoever makes some!
If someone makes this, +4 respect for them! :smile:

Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:32 am
Profile YIM
Banned

pieman280 wrote:
Let me get this straight... your telling me that making a bunch of pixels based off a game character is illegal! No one is making money, no one is stealing, and no one is ripping anyone off. Where the heck is the problem! Go yell at smash flash (Which is also legal) instead of derailing this thread guys.
Yes, I am. It's intellectual property theft, and if you don't think that is illegal, you are dumb. Just because someone else did something doesn't make it legal.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:56 am
Profile YIM

After an enlightening talk with THOR I recommend not pursuing this.
If you really, really, want you could try and push your luck, hope for a cease and desist request.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:35 am
Profile WWW
Banned

Not saying that would happen, just want people to realize that even if you aren't litigated, served, or sued--things like this are still technically illegal and you jeopardize Data's livelihood.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:42 am
Profile YIM
happy carebear mom

ProjektTHOR wrote:
jeopardize Data's livelihood.

Would the content users create be under his liability? That doesn't sound quite right, but I'm no lawyer...

Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next