View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Lava/Magma 

Post Lava/Magma
I've been digging around the forums here trying to find some pain inflicting terrain, and I am finding none, so is there any way to make a terrain damage an actor walking over/touching it?

Ive got a lovely pile of superheated rock here in my map, and I would quite enjoy seeing some flaming deaths/de-limbing/fourth degree burns/unnecessary gibbing happen here.

Any thoughts/links/suggestions?

Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:40 pm

Post Re: Lava/Magma
Well there have been certain bunker modules that kill when something touches it. I doubt it'll work for terrain, but it may be worth looking at the code.

Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:27 pm
Loose Canon

Water has been done before, I don't see why Lava can't be. Same principal, just with pain, fire, and more of the same.

Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:16 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Well, it won't be dynamic ( flow like real lava ) but you can have it spew fire, and all that.

Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:32 pm

I really don't care if it's dynamic - I don't plan on having any actors taking a dive with any intent of them hopping out for a second swim later. I'd be happy with just the static terrain itself damaging/killing them, but if it could be animated to have lava spewies/flaminess/waves that are just graphical and have no pertinence in regard to anything, that'd be just that much more awesome.

Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:39 am

A little off topic, but if someone could make a weapon, or something that actually catches people on fire... That would seriously own!

Back to topic: I think toasty (I think that was his name) made a map that shot up flames. It didn't really harm anyone since it was just a small experiment, but it was like an emitter that pushed things away. Although they got blocked easily with dropship parts. If I still have that map in my old pre-23 folders, I can PM it to you so you can make similar effects with lava. I bet it may be possible to even tweak it to kill people.

Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:35 pm

<shrug> I can try, but it sounds like it'd lag the game more than anything.

Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:49 pm

pieman280 wrote:
A little off topic, but if someone could make a weapon, or something that actually catches people on fire... That would seriously own!
Both the flamethrower from Darkstorm Military Technologies and the molotov cocktail from Zombies 09 do this in a decently well implemented manner.

Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]