View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:52 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Numgun's wishes regarding his mods 

Post Numgun's wishes regarding his mods
411570N3 wrote:
If I remember correctly, his things are still allowed to be pmed. If there is some confirmation of this, I can pm you the old version.

Any form of distribution of my work is forbidden. I know I can't control nor see PM traffic, but I still say no.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:24 pm

Location: In between your sister's legs, showing her how to use a... PS3 controller!
Post Re: Missing mods/scenes requests
Don't be so whiny. You're turning into Gordon Brown. Nobody listens to you, but you whine anyway. And you'll wear an ill-fitting military outfit to look good. The latter may not be true, but I still uphold my point.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:36 pm

numgun wrote:
411570N3 wrote:
If I remember correctly, his things are still allowed to be pmed. If there is some confirmation of this, I can pm you the old version.
Any form of distribution of my work is forbidden. I know I can't control nor see PM traffic, but I still say no.
As of now, I will no longer distribute numgun's mods, via pm or otherwise. I will not directly go against a confirmed statement forbidding such activity.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:33 am
Profile WWW
REAL AMERICAN HERO

honorable, allstone, but this is actually an interesting situation

y'see, in foogooman's behemoth redux, the 'official' moderator stance was laid down as this: no public release, but PM is allowed, even with specific author wishes for no releasing

yet, if the author specifically asks for no PM releases, and has already taken out the option of public releases, what is the official forum stance on the issue? your prior stance is rather entrapping

by the way, kudos to numgun for recognizing the futility of attempting to block PM traffic

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:39 am
happy carebear mom

It is even more confusing when we add in that numgun released at least one of his mods with a software license. I have a copy of BW with the GPL license in it. Now I'm no copyright expert, but I distinctly remember something in GPL stating that the licensed software must be free to distribute forever. In that case, is the inclusion of the license file in the mod grounds to make it permanently distributable forever? Or, must the license be acknowledged in the mod's files itself for it to apply? I believe these questions will be unanswered forever. And we also need a new topic for this, since we're getting a bit off of this topic.

My stance on the matter, which may or may not reflect the official stance (which may or may not be forthcoming), is that it is up to the user to decide whether or not he or she will go along with numgun's wishes.
EDIT: Regarding PM traffic. Public distribution will still be verboten I suppose.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:59 am

Post Re: Numgun's wishes regarding his mods
I still don't get why you're having such a hissy fit over, I assume, getting banned.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:12 am
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

iirc, chronologically, he was banned after he forbade the distribution of his mods. I think.

EDIT: Thanks 411.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:28 am

It would be nice if a more decisive official position were made.
Also, do you mean forbade?

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:30 am
Profile WWW
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Data needs better boilerplate in his EULA, by the way, since, last I remember, it (loosely) mentions all modifications for the game being within his legal right to copy, distribute, and provide for money without the consent of the content creator.

If this game is intended to go big there's some actual legal ramifications to consider.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:35 am
happy carebear mom

This is the EULA as of the b23 installer...
Attachment:
CC EULA.txt [4.72 KiB]
Downloaded 186 times
I didn't notice anything about whether or not Data owns the modifications produced, but it does mention that modifications of the software are expressly forbidden. However, I'm not sure if this applies to the data files as well or just the runnable binary.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:01 am

modding CC = plug-ins
"modding" CC = changing the exe

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:06 am
Profile WWW

Data, in the EULA wrote:
you may not: (i) reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software or attempt to discover the source code; (ii) modify, or create derivative works based upon, the Software in whole or in part without the express written consent of Data Realms LLC;
The vanilla files are the base of pretty much every part of every mod minus some of the Lua and some sprites and, I'm fairly sure, constitute part of the software based on the definition in the first clause.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:12 am
Profile WWW

I don't want to get involved with this legal talk and if numgun can/can not do this and whatever. What I'm wondering is, why forbid the distribution of your [numgun] mods? What are you trying to get done/prevent from happening?

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:24 pm

CaveCricket48 wrote:
I don't want to get involved with this legal talk and if numgun can/can not do this and whatever. What I'm wondering is, why forbid the distribution of your [numgun] mods? What are you trying to get done/prevent from happening?

Yeah, what's your biggest fear? It's not like putting it directly on the forum is that much different than someone passing via PM!

Oh, and by the way, why the hell would you put something anywhere on the net and not expect it to be distributed?

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:03 pm

We Want The Truth wrote:
Why forbid the distribution of your [numgun] mods? What are you trying to get done/prevent from happening?

Yes exactly! What are you trying to prove by FORBIDING the use and distribution of all your mods (which might I add is virtually impossible since you can still find copies of your mods almost anywhere, in fact I'll go to school tomorrow and pick up that one mercenary mod). If you’re trying to get back at the community for something you can clearly see that everyone is indifferent and can continue to live on without your [numgun] mods. What were you expecting to happen a giant apology letter with signatures from everyone, or did you expect everyone to riot and get down on their hands and knees to beg you for forgiveness and to put the download links back up?

Numgun I love your mods and personally I have nothing against you what so ever. But I'm just baffled on the logic behind your actions.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:42 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next