View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Request: A tool or way to clean up map clutter! 

Post Request: A tool or way to clean up map clutter!
So I have been playing cortex command for a while and thoroughly enjoy the game however my computer is getting destroyed by the lag caused by messy body/vehicle gibs that accumulate over the course of a battle. I know that cortex command is limited to using only 1 processor and is very processor heavy so since I have a 2.8 ghz quad my game tends to slow down rather quickly on me and after a while makes my game almost unplayable since actors run at the equivelent speed of an 800 pound man trying to walk down the street and drop ships become unflyable... So I was just wondering if some mod to clean up gibs with ease or some kind of fix exists to help me with my lag (and yes I have gone through the post located here without much change: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14593)

Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:21 am

Post Re: Request: A tool or way to clean up map clutter!
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure when an object turns into gibs that settle on the ground, they're the same as stuff like dirt or concrete in that they are in a state where they take up negligible processing power. It's rather tricky imo to make a mod that will just "clean up" all of the gibs since other than their color and maybe a few material integrity parameters, the game views them as the exact same thing as grass, dirt, soil, concrete, steel ect.

Also, it's usually an increase of the number of on-screen actors which causes lag and while debris might take up a bit more processing power for the AI pathfinding, the debris itself shouldn't cause that much lag.

Once again, I could be completely wrong since this is all based on speculation, but it's just what I think.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:57 pm

What about Map Regeneration? is that possible in the game.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:59 pm
happy carebear mom

I found a lot of lag, at least in my game, was due to my own mods having orphaned AEmitters. I don't know if that's the case anymore, but after I made sure to give my AEmitters a low GibImpulseLimit or LifeTime, it cleaned up lag pretty well.

Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:40 am

Gibs become terrain and a Lua device to get rid of them before they settle would probably lag a fair bit.
In the Dummy expansion I made there is a tool that will clean up gibs but not anything harder than the dark brown dirt, so can be used to clean upp bunkers and such, dunno if thats what you mean.

Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:24 am

Gibs don't become terrain; they become settle material, which has the scrap property. Once their velocity hits zero, they get converted to the next material in their chain. See the base materials for how all this works.

Altering the properties of the scrap material so that it's Air is an easy fix.

Regenerating land pixels is probably possible, but really you're going to get better results from simply making dirt a lot less likely to get totally destroyed, and not letting it get converted into scrap, by changing the gibwoundlimit to something very high and structuralintegrity a bit upwards.

The problem then is diggers would have to become even more powerful to overcome this, or use Lua to remove pixels (which is actually a really good idea; then they would quit being anti-everything close-combat weapons, but could have decent speeds and ranges).

Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:24 am

Took a look at this issue; seems there is some funky engine-side stuff going on.

1. It appears that Sharpness can result in destroyed pixels, instead of merely breaking them free. It shouldn't work like that, but it apparently does. It doesn't really obey the woundlimit; you can set that to really high values and it will still get destroyed and removed from the gameworld, not just moved.

2. Merely increasing the structural integrity of dirt pixels by 2X makes dirt get vaporized by fewer things, but it doesn't really fix the issues.

3. Getting rid of the settle state and not letting it become scrap doesn't seem to have the desired effect.

Going to look into this further and see if there's a way to convert it to settle / scrap but retain its toughness; perhaps that will allow dirt to behave like dirt, and not get destroyed, just moved around.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:50 am

I support this idea, settled gibs can ruin my game, after around 100 drop ships, 1000 soldiers and countless weapons start to litter the battlefield, my pc starts to bog down, for me, gibs = lag.

i suggest a bomb that has infinite(-ish) blast radius and power but only enough force to erase scrap and cant touch actors.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:56 am

Nonsequitorian wrote:
Gibs turn into terrain, so after so many dead guys the problem isn't gibs but orphaned particles or the like.

their still rather annoying.......cant a LUA file be made to erase orphaned particles and emitters?

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:20 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

There's no proper way to do that, and nothing that won't screw up loads of other mods.

You could try:
Code:
for particle in MovableMan:Particles do
    if particle.ID == particle.RootID then
        particle.ToDelete = true;
    end
end

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:13 am

Blegh.. took a big haitus from CC due to work etc, so coming back to the game I was hoping to resurrect this topic but with a different question: I have read the responses and it seems like this fix would be a tough one so instead maybe someone out there has some tips/tweaks to help speed my game up while keeping it relatively stable? Also, would

Code:
end
end

go into my console ingame?

Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:22 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Just so you know, Particles aren't derived from Attachables, so can't have a RootID other than their own.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:22 pm

well I don't know much about this stuff anyways lmao, i'm just reading the stuff people suggest

Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:12 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Roast Veg wrote:
You could try:
Code:
    end
end

"Particles" is a property, not a function so you cannot use a semicolon here (but I`m sure you knew this). The correct way would be written like this:
Code:
for Pt in MovableMan.Particles do Pt.ToDelete = true end

All on one line so it can be pasted in to the console.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]