View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Base Defenses: Shield Generator 

Post Base Defenses: Shield Generator
Okay so what I'm basically requesting is a Shield Generator because well I'm completely crazy with bunker building and I love doing it but when it all comes down I don't have an "ultimate defense" against really dangerous things like nukes and extreme fire. The shield it self should cover almost the entire base (no I don't mean a GIGANTIC base naaah just a small convenient bunker base) though I doubt if that's possible also it would be really stupid if I asked for it to be completely invincible and all mighty and terror and stuff naaah that would be a party pooper but that's the one part I don't know is what the shields weakness will be????? Maybe it could be that the generator it self shouldn't be in the shiled maybe in a small bunker of some kind. Also I read the topic "how to request a mod" and saw that it would be nice if I could help but I can't :c unfortunately I'm completely clueless when its comes to modding. Okay that's about it :).

(Also any links to bunker bits,mods,defences etc would be appreciated cause I love em :D)

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:30 pm

Post Re: Base Defenses: Shield Generator
You could look at basing it on the Coalition Drone's turret script, perhaps, although I'm imagining something which is probably a bit more complicated in structure.
This seems like a pretty good place to start out, I think, if you change your mind and fancy trying to make an interesting mod yourself.

Anyway, although it probably increases the complexity of the thing, a cool weakness would be to make it sort of ripple, like raindrops hitting a puddle (like a rippling bubble, if you can picture it), leaving a small gap occasionally (allowing shots/actors through). Alternatively, maybe it could overheat after a lot of use, requiring the user to be strategic about when best to engage it.

Unfortunately I'm on a really heavy course and really don't have spare time for stuff I can't apply to my college work. Otherwise I'd quite like to take a crack at something like this (especially since I'm just starting out at modding the game, really, so it'd help increase my understanding).

Good luck! ^.^

P.S. I too love bunker building! Have you tried the laser and heavy doors that come with Maximdude Corp. stuff? If not, find 'em here - http://forums.datarealms.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=17243. I really like them myself.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:41 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Agh, bud, you can use commas and periods to make the post easier to read and understand.

Now, I skipped some parts of what you wrote because of that, and what you want is a shield generator right? But what would it do? Block proyectiles? Gib enemy actors?

The first one would be kinda hard to do since it would block friendly proyectiles unless you made some not-so-easy to do scripting for it, and that would lag.

The second one would be overpowered but easy to do.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:51 am

@Asklar: I have understanding problems too with kingkonical size sentences, he should be really excited about shield generators...

@CrimsonCloud: This is the faster way to go, in case you need guidance:
Go to "Shield-contest" entries, modify whichever you like more, add it to a bunker module and do some spriting, ta-da!

Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:37 pm

What kind of shield effect are you looking for?

The kind where it deflects shots and bullets?
The kind where it absorbs shots and bullets?
Or the kind where it slows and stops shots and bullets in their tracks?

Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:55 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Attachment:
FF.png
FF.png [ 34.57 KiB | Viewed 2845 times ]

Here is an old prototype of mine, updated to B26. Very unpolished, but it can be used as a base to create better looking/more interesting stuff. Found under "Force fields" in the build phase.

Attachments:
ForceField_test01.zip [19.29 KiB]
Downloaded 203 times
Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]