View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Spriters! Planetside Fans! Planetside Factions? 

Post Spriters! Planetside Fans! Planetside Factions?
Any other Planetside fans out there? I have a sudden urge to start working on Planetside factions for Cortex Command, but since I can't sprite very well I'm a bit out of luck at the moment. Still, I can provide what .ini coding skills I've picked up so far at least.

My initial plan is to make four .rte modules; one for each faction (PS-FactionName.rte), and one "common pool" module (PS-Common.rte). Thus, players can easily 'opt out' of using one or more of the factions (and even the common item set) without needing to edit any files.

Rough balance plan is mostly equivalent to the original game, with minor adjustments to fit Cortex Command's playstyle - Terran Republic is lots of dakka and moderate maneuverability. The New Conglomerate are more powerful and better protected, but slower. The Vanu Sovereignty troops have the best jetpacks and overall maneuverability.

For a basic idea of what's needed, here's some of the How-To pages;

Weapons
Armours - or in CC terms, Actors.

A rough plan for armour is to have Standard as the cheapest and weakest. Agile would be better and faster. Reinforced trades speed for protection, of course. All of them would come with jetpacks of course- but the Vanu Sovereignty would have the most powerful/longest-lasting packs.

The pages are... a little out of date due to the various updates to the game since they were made, but the important stuff is still there. Knives I think would be best handled like DarkStorm - having them as a melee attack built into all the armours except MAXes, rather than making them a shield/weapon.

Fancy Script requiring things;
Weapons - Most of the missile launchers, VS weapon modes, VS Lasher behaviour
Armour - NC MAX shields, Infiltrator cloaking
Implants - I imagine these would be used somehow (or simply held), and confer benefits to the holder.
Vehicles - Mosquitos and Reavers for air support, maybe a Galaxy for troop transport? Lightning/Liberator as well?

Any other thoughts/comments are more than welcome. Just laying out the basics for now.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:24 pm
Profile YIM

Post Re: Spriters! Planetside Fans! Planetside Factions?
Yes....just yes.
i support this being done and shall facepalm myself for a week for not knowing what this game was.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]