View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 The TMC and UAC 

Post The TMC and UAC
Recently I was playing around with Gotcha's Unitec mod, which contained a simplistic mod based on Doom. However, I had an idea: why not make a fully stand alone Doom mod?

Then I thought of another classic franchise, Quake, which I believe could also become a rather good mod. I mean, why be limited to only one corporation of paranormal ass-kickers?

I tried to create a few sprites to start, but I am unfortunately not skilled in spriting. Basically, if someone were to provide some Doom-ish, or Quake-ish, sprites, I'd be willing to code everything required.

What do you guys think?

Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:42 am

Post Re: The TMC and UAC
actually recently i brought this subject up in the lobby or lounge? whatever its called.. needless to say it was completely ignore but regardless the bulk the sprites could be reused in cortex command as it posses sprites for in-world items which would be perfect for weapons the effects are again in-world so there isn't a problem there and the enemy's which are again in-world have the needed sprites for it to have monsters and doom guy.

side note is that you would need to shrink them as they are considerably big by Cortex Command but isn't impossible to do, as for problems with copyright there isn't any as the game is Open.. Which is mainly reason for that awesome doom mod exists using sounds from another open source game Doom 3.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:34 pm

I thought about re-using sprites from the original two doom games, but I figured it would simply be better to create brand new ones due to actor scale and other things.

Also, what of Quake and it's weapons? How exactly would I sprite those?

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:33 pm

Lobsterman wrote:
I thought about re-using sprites from the original two doom games, but I figured it would simply be better to create brand new ones due to actor scale and other things.

Also, what of Quake and it's weapons? How exactly would I sprite those?

Quake 1 isn't sprites, but converting models into sprites wouldn't be that hard.. take a sideshot of the weapon/item you want with a blank background white if possible then take that shot of a in-world object and shrink it down to the weapon size you want you'll lose a lot of detail but that's a good thing.

script wise there's pretty much no different between the weapons in doom and that of quake, they both have rocket launchers they both have a plasma gun or "Hyperblaster" and they both have a overpowered gun with conveniently similar effects.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:55 pm
Forum Moderator

Uh, quake doesn't have a BFG or plasma gun. What are you talking about? It had the lightning gun and super nailgun as the ultimate weapons.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:07 am

p3lb0x wrote:
Uh, quake doesn't have a BFG or plasma gun. What are you talking about? It had the lightning gun and super nailgun as the ultimate weapons.

i'd like to take into consideration that i haven't played it sometime so a few things might be fuzzy memory wise.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:27 am

Thanks for the help, I suppose.

I'll whip up some sprites and make a tiny topic in mod making when I'm done with 'em all.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:24 pm

so will the boss's be brains? or will it be any unit because i wouldn't mind a imp brain for no reason at all.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:02 pm

I was thinking that the brain units for the two factions would just be standard soldiers with some modifications, after all, imps, shalraths, etc. are not on the best terms with humanity.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:42 pm

Lobsterman wrote:
I was thinking that the brain units for the two factions would just be standard soldiers with some modifications, after all, imps, shalraths, etc. are not on the best terms with humanity.

I don't know about that you've got the zombies.. of course there is monster infighting from time to time.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]