View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 9:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Is it possible to make the background autoscroll? 

Post Is it possible to make the background autoscroll?
Is it possible to make the background layers autoscroll while the terrain elements remain stationary? I had an idea for a map set on a massive moving vehicle, but it looks unconvincing because the background doesn't move.

Also, is it possible to make it so that anything that hits the bottom of the map explodes and gets pushed off screen to the left so that it would look like the map is in motion? For example, if you pushed a clone off the side of the vehicle, he'd hit the 'ground' (which is a background layer and an invisible material for collision), gib, and get pushed to the left off the screen so that it looks like his corpse is getting left behind by the fast moving vehicle. Anything that hit the edges of the screen would also have to disappear and not come back to make it look convincing.

And would anyone be willing to help me sprite a few things, like wheels or hover engines, even new bunker modules to fit with the theme? I've got a good start with the default modules already, but the map would look 10 times better with pieces that actually looked like parts of a vehicle.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:39 am

Post Re: Is it possible to make the background autoscroll?
The background thing isn't really possible right now. You can set it to move quickly when the camera moves, but that's it. Perhaps with Lua, but that is mere speculation.

The dying and moving left bit is theoretically possible, with a high-velocity emitter at the bottom firing left a whole bunch.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:52 am

Actually~

The backrounds of Bunker Modules can be animated (IIRC) , so...

Simply animate it so it loos like it's moving.

And I can help sprite, just give me a size, a thing to make, and maybe some source images/textures and I'll see what I can do.

As a side note, I'm finished lurking for awhile.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:28 am

Silver wrote:
Actually~

The backrounds of Bunker Modules can be animated (IIRC) , so...

Simply animate it so it loos like it's moving.

And I can help sprite, just give me a size, a thing to make, and maybe some source images/textures and I'll see what I can do.

As a side note, I'm finished lurking for awhile.

Technically, it'd be an actor that's placed in a bunker that's animated. Terrain/backdrops don't animate. But the downside to using that method is that it doesn't work very well at really large sizes, and it'll cover anything that spawns after it.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:37 am

Ah, that makes sense.

Well, you could use an Actor for the ground, animated to lok like its moving, covered by a thin layer of VERY strong material (You wouldn't expect to see a crater made in the ground stay in the EXACT same place, so just don't make a crater.)

Then, just have one or two backround layers... but very, VERY far away, so it wouldn't move much anyway.

You could also have a closer layer, showing another vehicle slightly lower than the one you're on, so it looks like it's on a lower road.

This would solve problems of needing a scrolling backround, while still having a nearish backround that moves conviningly.

EDIT: Also, have slight leftwards gravity, as well as the suggestd emmitters on the ground. This will give th impression of wind resistance(Outside)/Acceleration of the Vehicle(Inside).

Also, maybe put random emmiters on the right side shooting invisible particles left, for more wind resistance, and maybe spawn leftward-moving leaves/ashes/smoke/whathaveyou to keep up the illusion of movement.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:01 am

He could always just put the actual moving stuff in the foreground, like I did in Endurantism, only animated. The BG layers could be static, and you just pretend they're really far away.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:26 am

Heh, that's pretty much what I was saying, I jsut word things badly.

Yeah, animated foreground stuff (ground, wheels, etc.), slight leftward gravity, leftward emitters on ground(And under wheels, to rip things to shreds! =D). Static far-away-looking backround.

But without the mid-backround, the scene will look empty, so make a mid backround of another one of these vehicles, but low enough so you don't see the ground or wheels (As to avoid having t animate them, which isn't possible anyway). This way, the scene looks right, and also adds the feel of a convoy of cars.

...I'll draw a sketch too, I don't trust my wording enough to say what I need to say.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:34 am

Thanks for your ideas, although my mapping skills outside of the scene editor are...well, pretty bad. I'll have to read up a bit on how to get half this stuff working.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:37 am

Well, I've not messed with maps much either, but I AM a fairly skilled spriter (Check the sprite dump for mah spider and judge for yourself) and I would love to help on this map, just send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]