View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Rocks Appearing in the area colored as sky 

Post Rocks Appearing in the area colored as sky
Ok i finaly got my first Scene almost ready to go, but what do ya know i have a problems like always

There are rocks in an area that is sky, i know its gonna be somthing like "you cant make caves like that" or somthing but w/e here we go

I know its somthing simple and i know yes im a noob, ive been playing Cortex for well ever but just havnt really tried to mod untill now

Thanks for any help i get

Last edited by Sashacryotank on Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:14 am

Post Re: Rocks Appearing in the Are colored as sky
Hiya,

Normally gold and rocks get spawned below the soil at a set depth.
You can change many values to overcome the problem you're having, but to make your life easier I'd just give the soil a non-soil colour where you don't want gold to spawn.
If you want to get details, try the guides, which should be in the scene making section. :)

Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:35 am

Post Re: Rocks Appearing in the area colored as sky
That doesn't seem very helpful, you are only saying what he could do without telling him how to do it.

Does your map have it's own gold and boulder terraindebris?

If it does then you must find the part where it says "maxdepth" and change the value so it's smaller and doesn't show in the air. But this then gives you the problem of having lots of rock and gold close to the surface. You may like this but if you don't; open up the .bmp for your map, and put pixel sized dots of the material soil throughout your map (but not any in the overhang in your screenshot), this should spread out your gold and rocks again. Be sure not to put the dots to low down on the map so the gold is hard to get too but don't put so few that it barely makes a differance.

If you really really are stuck i could happily help, just a 2 minute job reallly.

Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:04 pm
happy carebear mom

You can probably avoid that by making that section the slightly darker shade of purple.

Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:56 pm

@Duh102: Nope. ;)

Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:31 pm
REAL AMERICAN HERO

The "darker purple" isn't a material. It's an error that some graphics programs have loading files in Data's particular contour palette.

Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:55 pm
happy carebear mom

This?
Hm, learn something new every day.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:32 am

Grif wrote:
The "darker purple" isn't a material. It's an error that some graphics programs have loading files in Data's particular contour palette.

Actually, it's a null material iirc. It's used wherever there is a BG. I looked up the RGB in Materials once.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:25 am

When the dark purple is used in terrain it means that there is the background that you see when you dig through terrain there instead of the sky background, I would have thought it would have gotten rid of rocks because no bunkers ever have rocks in them, if made properly, and they use the dark purple. But it could also be because they are placed over the rocks after the rocks are placed.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:30 pm

it is exactly that reason.
look at nickfury666's (i think thats his name) map pack, in the default, debris appears inside the tunnel, and it is the dark purple.
if you dont want this to happen, make your own terrain debris with a different depth that appear in different places. or make your own custom geology ;)

Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:27 pm
Profile WWW

Ok, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here who has actually fixed this problem in one of my maps... What you have to do is make your own material that is exactly the same as the one that the boulder terrain debris is set to be created in. Then you use that material for the overhang instead of the normal color. For help with materials visit the wiki and use the search function as much as possible, and terrain debris are pretty easy to figure out, and I think the wiki is helpful for it too.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:59 pm
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Bah, not giving examples doesn't help Duh102.

I though you were referring to the dark blue displayed when opening map files in Paint, not the dark purple used in bunker backgrounds.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:35 am

So is there an overall way to fix this?

Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]