View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 LowestFormOfWit's Scene Ideas Thread 

Post LowestFormOfWit's Scene Ideas Thread
Another scene pulled out of my head. Y/N?

EDIT: Thread renamed so I can just dump my other scene idea in here rather than slay the forums with the 5-8 bases I have lined up.

Last edited by LowestFormOfWit on Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:13 am

Post Re: Xlpha Garrison
Heck yeah that's nice. Although I now have a small penchant for adding all sorts of crates, pictures, plants, bunks, fridges ect to all my bases.
It makes the base look lived in (and with MPv3.1 we now have bunks!).

Do you get any lag? Grasslands or Horiz Land?

Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:49 am
Profile WWW

Looks good for a deathmatch game too.

I like the bunker design. : )

Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:00 pm

Thanks much! I've just been mulling over what I can do about the background. Don't know if the default is something I want to keep for this one. I'm just a huge fan of Symmetry, and wanted to put that into a heavy base defense bunker. I've also been trying to cut back on doors. I get carried away with doors sometimes to make things secure, and end up lagging the game before the action starts. I think my first scene editor base ever had like 30 doors or something stupid like that.

Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:02 pm

Post Re: LowestFormOfWit's Scene Ideas Thread

Mini-backstory/Concept for this Scene:
"Guardian Spire Yggdrasil: A lone defensive tower guarding the greatest tree, the World Tree, of this frozen planet. The tree is sustained and protected by this fortress, with a mechanism put in place to allow the tree to access water from the last large vein of frozen ice. Should the spire fail and the tree fall, the frozen planet would wither and crumble, its valuable resources sucked dry.

The only problem I saw this map having was possibly too many doors (and thus lag). I could probably trim out the Hanger Doors in the center, and the two doors outside of the blast doors on the entry level. Other than that, I'm quite pleased with what I turned out, and it makes for great long carnage defense games.

I'm reposting this base of mine from a thread in General Chat, since it goes better here with my other concepts.

Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:25 pm

This was my first take on a CC Scene ever. Made completely in Scene Editor off Horiz with no mods or non-vanilla material. I recently trimmed this map down doorwise (I went nuts, had like 10 more doors in the Scene than currently showing), and still enjoy it for long fights with the AI (they have a tiny outpost here as well).

Simply named Bastion.

Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:53 pm

Can you provide a DL link?

Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:58 pm
Profile WWW

This is just an idea/display page for my Scenes in progress. Since most of the ones I'm working on right now use custom materials from Gotcha!'s Mappack V3 (credits to many others available in that thread), I'm figuring the best way to implement the custom materials in the files for people who don't have them. I may just make a mini-pack of my own.

Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:06 pm

Hot off the press scene specifically for use with the DarkStorm Technologies Mod!

Mountain Fortress Genbu, Darkstorm Garrison.

Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:59 pm

Holycrap. These are awesome!
Seriously dude, put them in a pack or something, these are worthy for releasing.

These layouts are really great and to improve them, I'd suggest a simple armor layer of plain concrete to smoothen gaps where actors can get stuck, and thicken the bunker's overall mighty appeal. You could surround door modules with a concrete armor that are otherwise in the open air.

Also since these are single player orientated bunkers, lag from too many doors shouldnt be a problem.
Even if there is, most of the doors will be soon destroyed as the game progresses.
However, if actors and the brain start to spontaniously exploding ingame, then you can consider removing some doors.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, try to give more space and wider shafts for craft hangars. Its horribly hard to land your rocket through a 48 pixel wide shaft without getting stuck.

Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:37 am

The tree map is brilliant.

Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:26 am

Thanks for the helpful advice numgun. I usually go through with the background concrete tool and border around, but sometimes it ends up looking too square. I'll try it in selective areas like you said. As for the hangers, to be honest I don't use Rockets much for delivery, I find them hard enough to maneuver to land outside on a flat surface without exploding.

It's probably by habit that I've built a few open shafts designed in mind for Darkstorm Raiju Drop Pods. I love the things. However, I should probably cater to other play styles if I were to release these, and so I'm going to go back over and add big hangers to Xlpha Garrison and Bastion.

Yggdrasil, however, I am quite happy with, it's probably my favorite Scene I've made, and I find rockets and dropships have no problem deploying troops on the pads halfway up the tower. Also thanks Exalion, I put more work into that scene than any of my others, except Facing Worlds, since I made the terrain for that one.

As for the Genbu Fortress, I actually forgot to add a Scenes folder to my Darkstorm.rte, and so the game didn't copy an .ini there since the path didn't exist. I will remake it though, with a few tweaks. The shafts for the Raiju pods were annoying me anyway since they bypassed the blast doors.

With that long winded post I leave the thread asking if there's any B21 bunker tiles or neat base addons I'm missing that could help expand my "LEGO Box" of toys to work with. Currently I work with Base of course, + all the tiles in Gotcha!'s Mappack V3 (with credit to all those who contributed to that found in that thread).

Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:23 pm

LowestFormOfWit wrote:
Thanks for the helpful advice numgun. I usually go through with the background concrete tool and border around, but sometimes it ends up looking too square.

With that long winded post I leave the thread asking if there's any B21 bunker tiles or neat base addons I'm missing that could help expand my "LEGO Box" of toys to work with. Currently I work with Base of course, + all the tiles in Gotcha!'s Mappack V3 (with credit to all those who contributed to that found in that thread).

Use the default concrete triangles that come in the bunker bits.
They make the bunker look much more smooth.

As for more stuff, get the Bunker Module Compilation pack.
It has nearly everything ever done. VVVV

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=12026

Although please try not to rely on them, people and me myself hate it when you must use another truckload of mods to use them. Gotcha's map object stuff is ok, since I use his maps anyways. But I wont download anything besides that.

Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:55 pm

Yeah, after taking a look at that it just seems like too much stuff. It's hard enough to release scenes dependent on The Mappack Stuff.

In other news, I updated Bastion and Xlpha Garrison.
As for Genbu, since the whole Scene was lost, so I started from scratch.
And I love what I came up with:

I've given it a new name to match: "Impregnable Acropolis Genbu"

It comes complete with two Raiju Drop Pod bays, 6 DarkStorm Machine Gun Turrets, 2 Missle Turrets, and multiple sentry turrets throughout the installation. In addition, it comes with three traps to screw around with enemies that manage to get past the firepower line of defense. I'm still reworking the middle trap. Might be too many guns and hard to implement trap. I may just remove it or think of something else to put there.

Currently, I've made it a challenge by using an activities that spawns enemies dropping from Raiju pods (to eliminate debris) at a VERY fast rate. It's ridiculous fun. Hopefully after I playtest them more I can release some soon.

Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:56 pm

Nice, I really like the idea of having doors for green team as traps. Clever.
Thats a really good design for a bunker as well. I like it alot! : D

Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next