View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Procedural Generation 
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Post Procedural Generation
I must admit, I never really though about applying such a concept to CC, but the recently posted map intrigued me.

For my specific concept, see this post: viewtopic.php?p=258857#p258857

Basically, have terrain spawn first, probably in layers from topsoil to bedrock. Then one or two very infrequent base modules; perhaps custom target materials embedded in the scene. With future implementation of Lua it might be possible to restrict users to only placing brains, then starting the game, or at least not placing further modules. As a 1p scene, I'm not sure how placing the brain would work; target materials might work, but possibly (probably) not reliably. To clarify, having the scene place the brain and then the terrain generation set a base around it. Would probably require some tweaking with Depth and TargetMaterial. However, it seems entirely possible, and as such I encourage anyone to do it.

Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:36 am

Post Re: Procedural Generation
I've tried a couple various methods of doing this, and none of them really seemed to work very well.
Technically, you can place Bunker Modules into scenes via Lua, but there is no way to create them with the current functions, or something like that.

Using terrain debris is unreliable, and there's no real good shape to make the debris so that you get a smooth landscape.

Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:17 am

lua would be a better way to do this than terraindebris, but i dont know how you'd do it and make it look good..

Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:52 am
Profile WWW

Well, if it were possible to do it with Lua, it'd be real easy. It's just a matter of getting the algorithm nice and pretty. The problem is that you can't create/change the terrain with Lua as of yet.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:01 am

but could you arrange some terrain coloured bunkermodules in a matrix? have it place various hills etc in a 128x128 grid (the terrain texture size)? if you could get that looking pretty it could be done now. assuming you can use an equivalent of SOPlacer for modules, which it sounds like you cant..

Last edited by Geti on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:43 pm
Profile WWW

I experimented with this a while ago. One idea was to use terrain debris to place terrain objects such as those in zombie cave eg: the crater, rock pile, and rock tower etc onto the topsoil, and use a grid of 4x4 pixel dots with 94 pixels between them consisting of a different material and terrain debris arranging bunker modules in a random pattern.

Problems were that the base's location wasn't random, the bunker modules didn't always form a useable base and the terrain debris places the centre of the sprite onto the target material, so the zombie cave objects required a sprite extension to place the bottom of the object in the centre of the .bmp

I'm obviously not an expert. Just posting the result of the idea without Lua.

Lord Tim wrote:
Technically, you can place Bunker Modules into scenes via Lua, but there is no way to create them with the current functions, or something like that.

So It is currently impossible to place bunker modules via Lua?

Edit: Ignore that question. I think this is the answer:
Lord Tim wrote:
Well, if it were possible to do it with Lua, it'd be real easy.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:50 pm

you could make make a bunch of bunker modules made out of dirt. Only problem with that is you'd have to make a hellofalot of bunker modules in different shapes. Or at least a bunch of 1 pixel ones with different colors.

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]