View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Need of in-game Area Making Tutorial 

Post Need of in-game Area Making Tutorial
I hope i wont get flamed for this topic

I tried to search into other related topics but i couldnt understand the how-to create a playable area through the existing in-game area editor

Since i cant be bothered with scripting, cause i suck, how do i create an area with the editor and then be able to play it with spawning enemies? Enemies seem to spawn but not in the level boundaries.

Sorry for my bad english

Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:21 pm
Profile YIM
happy carebear mom

Post Re: Need of in-game Area Making Tutorial
DouKos wrote:
Since i cant be bothered with scripting

Where there goes your help.

I don't quite understand the question. Do you mean create a new terrain in paint or something and have that available? What you're describing as a problem sounds like you have XWrap off (yo weasel, if you can tell Data to fix the spawning problem with XWrap off that'd be awesome), which makes enemies spawn in funny places and usually off to map.

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:53 pm

If you want to make a map with two opposing brains, bases and spawning enemies, all you need is the scene editor.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the area editor is just for creating 'area boxes', which are used for scripting in lua (making triggers and whatnot). Open any campaign mission in the area editor, and you'll see what I mean.

Related question: How do you open .lua files?

Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:49 pm
happy carebear mom

A text editor, such as notepad or notepad++.

Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:58 pm

So, if i want to make a playable area, with spawning enemies and stuff i need to use at least some sort of scripting? Would any of you be so kind to pinpoint me a tutorial of how-to create simple skirmish maps with spawning enemies? I searched some but they all refer to using all sorts of other programs and scrpts which i m not familiar with.

Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:06 pm
Profile YIM
happy carebear mom

I assume you still mean making terrains, yes? Then this tutorial is your best bet, though you can ignore any mention of BunkerModules, you don't need them.

Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:11 pm

Duh102 wrote:
I assume you still mean making terrains, yes? Then this tutorial is your best bet, though you can ignore any mention of BunkerModules, you don't need them.

Ok thanks, i ve seen that tutorial before, but i hoped making a skirmish map would be easier than this. I mean just put a bunch of stuff into an existing map through the in game editors and then be able to play right away. So i really need to poke around with scripts huh? Tough luck :(

Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:35 pm
Profile YIM
happy carebear mom

What you could do is download an already made map and just edit the terrain bitmap file, the .bmp file. This one will do you fine, though you may want to go into Hill.rte/terrains.ini and set WrapX to 1 (WrapX = 1).

Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:47 pm

DouKos wrote:
Duh102 wrote:

Ok thanks, i ve seen that tutorial before, but i hoped making a skirmish map would be easier than this. I mean just put a bunch of stuff into an existing map through the in game editors and then be able to play right away. So i really need to poke around with scripts huh? Tough luck :(

100% of the work can be done in-game, but it's a bit limited. Here's how to make a simple customized scene in the scene editor:
1) Game Editors -> Scene Editor
2) Choose a scene from the list like "grasslands", and click "load".
4) To summon the buying list, either hold the right button or the 'L' key, go to "Add new object" and release. Try building a long passage underground with a few troops and brain.
5) If you make a mistake, you can move or delete any piece you put down by using the right-click menu.
6) From the same menu, you can change your brain/troop's team before placement by clicking the red or green heart.
7) When you're done, right-click and move down to save. Give your scene a different name like "New Scene1". If you did everything right, your scene will appear in the list under "Skirmish battle".

If you notice, you didn't get any of the fraction stuff. It's easy to get them all, but it takes a few more steps.

1) In the Cortex Command folder, create a new mod folder like "CustomScenes.rte"
2) Copy an index.ini from another folder and place it in the new folder. Erase everything except the "DataModule" at the top.
3) Make an empty folder called "Scenes". If you don't the game will NOT save your scene data, and will cause the game to crash. If this happens, just remove the added info from the index.ini.
4) Hard part's done :) Open CC and this time select "Create New" from the Scene Editor. Select your folder and whatever else you want from the list. This should give you all of the vanilla fractions.

Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]