View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Scene Making Questions: Saving, AirResistance, and More! 

Post Scene Making Questions: Saving, AirResistance, and More!
Hi I got questions:

- I want to make a low gravity, high air-resistance scene. Is there a variable I can change to determine air resistance across the scene?

- I want to make a very long mission - is there a way to save the game so you don't have to restart from the beginning each time you play?

- I possibly want to create a campaign, meaning linked missions. Is there a function to do this/has this been done already/can it be done?
- If it can be done, can variables be transferred between missions?

I'm sure these have been answered thoroughly in the past, but I'm at work on a fairly mediocre computer and I can't check as thoroughly as I'd like here. Thanks in advance for the help!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Post Re: Scene Making Questions: Saving, AirResistance, and More!
- -

- You can save partial game state, like objects and some of their properties, re-creatable actors etc. You can't basically save terrain, mehman made some experimental mod doing this, but it's quite limited.

- Yes you can make a campaign. You can check out this to get the idea how it can be done. In general you can have multiple mission activities and launch them from your script (this method was useful only in B23, but it's easier to understand), or you can have one big activity which will load needed scenes and change scripts accordingly (like in Unmapped Lands 1 for example)

- Global variables live forever during current Cortex Command session and thus can be transferred between missions. But you'll have to save game state to external file to keep data when Cortex Command is shut down.

UPD:

Also this parto of tutorial may be helpful - http://forums.datarealms.com/viewtopic.php?p=395638#p395638

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:29 pm

weegee wrote:
- -

- You can save partial game state, like objects and some of their properties, re-creatable actors etc. You can't basically save terrain, mehman made some experimental mod doing this, but it's quite limited.

- Yes you can make a campaign. You can check out this to get the idea how it can be done. In general you can have multiple mission activities and launch them from your script (this method was useful only in B23, but it's easier to understand), or you can have one big activity which will load needed scenes and change scripts accordingly (like in Unmapped Lands 1 for example)

- Global variables live forever during current Cortex Command session and thus can be transferred between missions. But you'll have to save game state to external file to keep data when Cortex Command is shut down.

UPD:

Also this parto of tutorial may be helpful - http://forums.datarealms.com/viewtopic.php?p=395638#p395638

Thanks for the prompt and thorough reply!

1. Hmm, that might be what I need, or maybe not, I'll have to go look.
2. Thanks for that!
3. How would I go about saving data to an external file? That's probably exactly what I need.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:21 pm
Profile YIM WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

You can take a look at CF_ConfigLibrary.lua in Unmapped Lands 2 to find uout how to save data. It just puts Param=Value lines to specified file.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]