View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Level Editor and Online Play 
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Post Re: Level Editor and Online Play
Yep. Air has no physical effect on anything because it's not there.

Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:50 am

If you give air strength, then your gun is held behind your back all the time, buts thats about as far as it goes...

For now.

Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:30 am
Profile WWW

Water solution? I doubt that this will be do-able in lua, but I copyright the following idea just in case (anyone but Data must ask permission to release or distribute it... but I REALLY doubt it's possible in lua)

If two water particles are touching, they combine into 1 object, which will split if hit hit with a certain amount of force, therefore less calculations are needed. (A whole river would still be ONE object, but would still splash and stuff if hit)

The combined water particles as an object would have to act like goo and be able to move or alter it's shape, if two particles join angle and velocity of both would be calculated to form the new one.

here are a few examples:

Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:51 pm

robolee wrote:
If two water particles are touching, they combine into 1 object, which will split if hit hit with a certain amount of force, therefore less calculations are needed. (A whole river would still be ONE object, but would still splash and stuff if hit)

The combined water particles as an object would have to act like goo and be able to move or alter it's shape, if two particles join angle and velocity of both would be calculated to form the new one.

That's basically what I said on the last page.
CandleJack wrote:
Use the Phun method of water which uses a bunch of circles that are shaded to look like water. You could make them combine to form bigger circles when stationary and break apart when they move faster. Making the terrain act a similar way might allow terrain gibbing and more efficient physics.

CandleJack wrote:
My idea was to make gibs that stick together and break into smaller gibs extremely easy. Also, they'd have to be bouncy.

Also, this would require a compression threshold that defines how resistant particles are to being compacted.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:50 am

Except my way isn't some fancy shader, every pixel of a blob of water WAS (not is) one particle of water, it doesn't compress it is just added to the mass of water. however in phun, all the individual particles are still calculated, with this method it is just one large blob that has slightly more calculations (to allow it to change it's shape/flow and break up).

I don't think it's anything like what you said. When a water particle hits a blob of water, it essentially disappears and the blob of water has an extra pixel where it was hit by the particle. And if shot it would essentially be cut where it was shot and a few of the pixels at the new edge would detach and turn into water particles (like a break wound) and spray upwards.

In the image although it says 1px = 1 water particle it means that one water particle would add one extra pixel to the blob of water, which is NOT just a bunch of blobs together, it is one object, just one.
Attachment:
water2.bmp

edit: Also I have already made fully piling, pooling water, but CC cannot handle the insane amount of physics, and cannot cope with ANY piling material, spam a load of dropships and you will see that they EAT through the ground, that happens whenever anything is pushing anything else, and that is what happens when stuff piles.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:08 pm

robolee wrote:
edit: Also I have already made fully piling, pooling water, but CC cannot handle the insane amount of physics, and cannot cope with ANY piling material, spam a load of dropships and you will see that they EAT through the ground, that happens whenever anything is pushing anything else, and that is what happens when stuff piles.

I would like to see that.

No, I'm not doubting you, I would just like to see water in CC even though laggy as hell.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:43 pm

Hey guys have you ever seen the Clonk game. Full water physics along with pixel physics? Yeah. I think Data should at least look into it. Water would be a much nicer selling point for the game. Also, if we get water working chances are that extreme amounts of ground physics (Holy Grenade on Dirt) would not be as laggy.

Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5